MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

3.4s over run when switched off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,437 Likes on 1,113 Posts

BTW ~ I'm sure you can have a new Bowden Cable (kick down) made up for an absolute fraction of the Barratt's cost.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

First get this right.

Then every point on the 35 linkage. You are lucky you don't have a DG. It's far worse & what I was thinking about in my earlier comment.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-20-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,098 Likes on 713 Posts

Thanks Glyn, done all that. I love the fact that Jaguar have put all these adjuster parts in to the throttle linkage but you can't get to any of them when they are in situ.
The double spring has brought the throttle return right down so it sits at 600 now with no need to pull the pedal back but I am waiting for the weather here to clear up so I can go out and get the car hot to test the run on or lack of it.
Playing with the throttle linkage return it does seem too stiff with the kickdown attached. Fine it I disconnect it so I might have to take the cable out and give it a good soak in oil and a clean as this might be why the throttle is not closing fully.

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 10:14 AM
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass3958
One would think so. Suck, blow, bang. The number of times I have said to someone having problems starting a car that all you need is air, fuel, combustion and a spark. I have taken away the spark by switching the engine off so my problem must lie with the air, fuel or combustion.
Err no, that's the point, if the plug is too hot it will glow red and still ignore the fuel even after the initial if turned off. Colder set of plugs would fix that. Something must be glowing red hot to cause ignition.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:27 AM
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

One would think so. Suck, blow, bang. The number of times I have said to someone having problems starting a car that all you need is air, fuel, combustion and a spark. I have taken away the spark by switching the engine off so my problem must lie with the air, fuel or combustion. 9:1 ratio pistons might not be helping on the compression side. A throttle that is not closing properly might be a cause for the air and fuel.
Err, no, that's the point. You haven't taken away the ignition source by turning off the ignition if something is still glowing red hot in the combustion chambers, i.e. plugs. The engine will always have air and fuel (carb), that is why it will idle. Shutting the ignition off doesn't change that. If the plugs are getting too hot a colder range plug will fix it.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Glyn, done all that. I love the fact that Jaguar have put all these adjuster parts in to the throttle linkage but you can't get to any of them when they are in situ.
The double spring has brought the throttle return right down so it sits at 600 now with no need to pull the pedal back but I am waiting for the weather here to clear up so I can go out and get the car hot to test the run on or lack of it.
Playing with the throttle linkage return it does seem too stiff with the kickdown attached. Fine it I disconnect it so I might have to take the cable out and give it a good soak in oil and a clean as this might be why the throttle is not closing fully.
Great ~ let us know how the hot test goes. I'm hoping it fixes it as it did with mine. As long as that Bowden cable has not been kinked you should be able to revive it. If it has been kinked have a new one made up. Barratt's price is insane.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:44 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default engine run on.

In the late 1960 I worked as Ford Service rep and the Ford Cortina was renowned for running on so much so the only way to stop the engine was to put in gear and let out the clutch.
Ford brought out a kit to stop it happening. It consisted of a solenoid connected to the ignition system and a vacuum hose connected to the brake booster vacuum supply. With key on and engine running solenoid was closed key off solenoid opened and a large gulp of air stopped the engine. The solenoid even came with a very neat small air filter.
David Bruce. Australia.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,098 Likes on 713 Posts

Hard to drop the clutch on mine at it is an Auto. Still not been able to get it out maybe this afternoon.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Hard to drop the clutch on mine at it is an Auto. Still not been able to get it out maybe this afternoon.
No, but you CAN shut the ignition off while leaving the transmission in D. That results in an immediate shut down. My 3.8 will run on under very high heat conditions, after a high speed run with the AC on - but if I leave it in D and turn off the ignition, it shuts down instantly. If the above-mentioned conditions are not present there is no shut-down issue at all....well that is true, BUT if I leave the car sitting for a half hour after a run, it is reluctant to start, and I have not figured out why -any comments on that? I have assumed that it is a matter of heat sink anf fuel vaporization.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-23-2020, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Fuel vapourisation after heat soak.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...roblem-236289/
Thanks Glyn...I have always assumed that fuel vaporization was the issue but it is not enough of a problem to make me configure a heat shield and figure out how and where to fit it securely. Hmmm...since this seems to be a universal issue under specific circumstances, surely some enterprising soul can come up with an easy-to-fit solution...in fact, how has this not been addessed earlier?
The instantaneous start when cold/cool is always impressive...the slow start after heat soak isn't impressive at all.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

A lot depends on the gasoline used and it's distillation curve. Too many light ends in the gas will cause this. Oil companies tailor gas for ambient conditions. e.g. they make at least summer grade & winter grade in places with large temperature swings. Use of winter gas in hot conditions is almost guaranteed to suffer vapourisation. I have zero hard hot start issues here in CT with our gas & mild climate. Canada is obviously blending gas erring on the safe side for cold conditions. We have plenty of family in Canada. My Dad was Canadian. Difficult country to decide on gasoline blends with it's temperature swings.

Heat shield/under bonnet ventilation is the only answer. If you have a Kenlowe or similar fan fitted maybe you can put a time delay on it so it runs for a few minutes after shut down.