MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

3.8 S Sleeper bodywork almost done!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 02:29 PM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

So I guess Alan's right - I'll take wires and knock-offs every time. Sorry for the scary pic - this stay-at-home stuff is doing a number on my personal hygiene.

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug Dooren:
Glyn M Ruck (05-12-2020), lickahotskillet (06-11-2020), S-Type Owner (05-14-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,477 Likes on 1,148 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Glyn M Ruck:
DevilDog (05-18-2020), fredd60 (09-06-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts

Doug, being an "old timer" is always better than the alternative being six feet under I hope your taking your black beast out for drives. I am lucky to be in an essential service industry so while I am not clocking my normal 150-350 miles a day, I am able to put the hammer down and propel my Jaguar much faster with the roads being so empty. I am typically cruising at 80-85 when in a pack of cars then when the coast is clear I hammer it and get her up to 120 mph until a I reach the next pack; that is such a blast and people are shocked that this old gal has that kind of power. The car pulls effortlessly to 120-125 before I reach the next pack and cruises smoothly. Most people whom are working here in CA are driving way faster with the mean being around 70-80 and even at 120 mph I will see the occasional Lambo or some other custom either at the same or even way faster speeds You just have to be careful as in Socal they have given the most over 100 mph speeding tickets in their history in the last month

Last edited by primaz; 05-13-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:50 PM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

We're seeing the same uptick in speeds and tickets here in Connecticut. We're not putting as many miles on the beast as I'd like because of these lock-down orders, but we're enjoying the ride as much as we can. Alan, considering your driving style you really need to put a dual reservoir master cylinder on your "need-to-do" list. I know the new calipers work with the original master, but this would be a meaningful safety upgrade along with new lines and hardware. I'm sure the Fosseway folks could recommend some options, especially if space is at a premium. Stay safe.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 518 Posts

Lucky you guys don't live in Canada, if the Cops catch anyone going 40k (that's 25 miles per hour) over the speed limit, you get you car taken away, a big fine and at least 3 points.
When all said and done, it's usually around 2 grand in fines, towing and storage fees _ at least.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:31 PM
Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

One of the tenants of the "Smith System" of safe driving is "Leave yourself an out" and the "four second rule". Four seconds between cars. There is no "out" in the "pack". The pack is where pile ups occur. Just sayin'. Stay safe & hammer down!

Old 05-14-2020, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug Dooren
We're seeing the same uptick in speeds and tickets here in Connecticut. We're not putting as many miles on the beast as I'd like because of these lock-down orders, but we're enjoying the ride as much as we can. Alan, considering your driving style you really need to put a dual reservoir master cylinder on your "need-to-do" list. I know the new calipers work with the original master, but this would be a meaningful safety upgrade along with new lines and hardware. I'm sure the Fosseway folks could recommend some options, especially if space is at a premium. Stay safe.
Doug,
That has been on my mind in the past but I never found an easy solution as the 3.8s brake booster is inside the car not located in the engine bay like other cars. As you know with the LS V8 there is absolutely no space in the engine bay and I already have the wheel wells used to house the train horns, air conditioning; so I am not sure what can be done? I have upgraded the stock booster to the better performance stock version and all of the brake system/lines are all new. I keep up on the maintenance and always check the fluids, etc. since modifying it to a dual seems pretty difficult?

JeffR, Knowing that, your Canada laws might be a deal breaker for me to ever live there although I am a rebel and know others in Canada whom street race so if I lived there I guess I would just be extra careful. I have a high quality radar system right now and if I lived in Canada I'd probably buy those hidden under the dash radar blockers for extra precaution

Lickahotskillet, i don't tail gate so I keep enough space when I catch up to a cluster of cars, then safely get in the front, and when safe hammer the throttle with a smile. One of the few positive results of shelter in place...

Old 05-15-2020, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Primaz
The problem with Canada is that there are no real freeways, we just have the Trans Canada Highway which can be 4 lanes, but very often it's 2.
It passes through towns with annoying traffic lights, it's not a freeway.

There are sections where one could easily do 120mph, even here on Vancouver island, there's a vast highway heading North with 4 lanes where one could easily go that speed and beyond, it even has fences to keep the wildlife from wandering out on the road.

I remember doing a delivery North and driving the delivery van at 140km (around 86) per hour and this Porsche went flying by like we were standing still.
I saw him way of in the distance in my rear view mirror, a number of seconds he past us and he was gone !

Canada is great though, there's hardly any people here, one doesn't have to go far to feel like you're the only person here.

Last edited by JeffR1; 05-15-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JeffR1
Primaz
The problem with Canada is that there are no real freeways, we just have the Trans Canada Highway which can be 4 lanes, but very often it's 2.
It passes through towns with annoying traffic lights, it's not a freeway.

There are sections where one could easily do 120mph, even here on Vancouver island, there's a vast highway heading North with 4 lanes where one could easily go that speed and beyond, it even has fences to keep the wildlife from wandering out on the road.

I remember doing a delivery North and driving the delivery van at 140km (around 86) per hour and this Porsche went flying by like we were standing still.
I saw him way of in the distance in my rear view mirror, a number of seconds he past us and he was gone !

Canada is great though, there's hardly any people here, one doesn't have to go far to feel like you're the only person here.
Canada is beautiful and if the USA gets too crazy I might think of driving to Canada

Old 05-15-2020, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by primaz
Canada is beautiful and if the USA gets too crazy I might think of driving to Canada
Come to Lake Cowichan, it's God's country here, mountains, trees streams, rivers _ endless trails and logging roads to run and ride on, if you're into that.
And a beautiful lake to swim in, clear soft water !

Here's a section of the Cowichan River, the water is pristine, clear and full of fish, the area is what's known as the "fly fishing trail.
It winds for 3.6 km from one abandoned rail way bed to another.
One rail way bed is part of the Trans Canada Trail, the other is looked after locally.

Last edited by JeffR1; 05-15-2020 at 08:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lickahotskillet (06-11-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Jeff,

Canada is beautiful and living in the San Francisco Bay Area, the sister city to Vancouver is also hard to beat; being one whom likes to target shoot and once in a while hunt I'd have to give up one of my other hobbies so I'll stay in the USA

Old 05-17-2020, 11:32 PM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
Exclamation concerning wire wheels

watch this to the end, when he talks about his Borrani wires failing. thank god he was only doing 30 mph!

oops! wrong link . . . sorry.

Last edited by jagstuart; 05-18-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Great resource for your Jaguar differential...

I just rebuilt my Jaguar IRS rear end with the help of Curt Hamilton of Hamilton Automotive Industries, 15826 Stagg Street, Van Nuys, CA 91406 818 943-2323 curthamiltonone@hotmail.com

He is been doing Jaguar rear ends for decades since the 1960's! He has incredible knowledge and can sell you a complete rebuild kit for your Jaguar differential. I rebuilt the entire rear end with new bearings, new ring & pinion gears, new clutch pack, etc. as I had one broken tooth so I wanted to rebuild it to ensure reliable performance. We found out that my Jag had a strange set up with a skinny ring gear and he helped me upgrade all of the internals with all brand new quality parts including Dana ring & pinion gears, Timken bearings, all spacers, seals, etc. He has the experience from rebuilding stock rear ends to upgrading them for increased reliability, power, etc. as he has done many custom hot rod & race cars that used Jaguar differentials, etc. It is hard to find someone with his knowledge, skill, and he has all the parts in stock. Whether you have him rebuild it for you or you want a rebuilt kit that is complete for a local shop to do the work, he is definitely they go to guy!

The car is so much more smooth, quiet, and pulls great!

Old 09-05-2020, 10:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are some pics of the front suspension Lin. We just installed the front sway bar as well. I included a couple of shots of the rear coil overs along with a couple shots of the exhaust with CO sensors
From what i understand the oxygen sensors need to be as close to the motor as possible but no closer than 24 inches to avoid high heat.
Once establishing how far downstream in the exhaust system to position the wideband O2 sensor, the bung should be mounted between 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock. Condensation buildup can destroy a sensor very quickly, so mounting the sensor between 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock protects it from water build-up at the bottom of the exhaust pipe. If there is sufficient space between the top of the exhaust pipe and floorboard, mounting the sensor at 12 o’clock is ideal.

Glyn M Ruck (09-08-2020)
Old 04-29-2021, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Cass3958, thanks for all of your help!

Ok folks if you want that old school look but want the Jaguar leapers on your belt buckle, yet want a three point retractible seat belt here is what you can do from Safety Belt Services in the UK and they will match the color to whatever you want. The only bad thing is they do not ship outside of the UK, but Cass was kind enough to assist me with shipping it to the USA!

I like the look as I wanted more stock looking belts as the majority of things that are more obvious on my Jaguar 3.8s I want to remain more old school. Most people whom are not Jaguar or really deep car guys assume that my car is stock the way it came from Jaguar. Much safer than lap belts alone and they look cool & classic... The 3.8s sleeper is over 150,000 miles and running strong, driven to work daily...

Old 04-29-2021, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Ah! You got them. Very nice. Safety Belt Services does a great job.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Ah! You got them. Very nice. Safety Belt Services does a great job.
Glyn, thanks! I had a little scare when I first got them as one did not retract correctly but I tweaked it and it works fine. I cannot believe a company would turn down business and not ship out to other countries, especially in today's global economy? but thankfully Cass3958 was kind enough to help! Everyone here is great to help keep these cars on the roads. I could not find anything like that in the US.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

It amazes me that quite a few British companies won't ship overseas. I have a number of friends in the UK that help me with companies that won't ship overseas. Had this issue with a few when doing my restoration. Even Barratts were decent to me if I had a shipment coming & would add parts from less cooperative companies to my shipments from them.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-29-2021 at 11:14 AM.
littlelic69 (05-08-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,015 Posts

It looks like a business opportunity for someone to act as a reseller, adding the usual 10 per cent handling charge.

Glyn M Ruck (04-29-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What headers did you use?

I am still waiting for a friend of mine to finish repairing my glove box but I just added my custom engine cover so here are some pictures of the completed car. Once I get the glove in I will post pictures of the completed interior.

The car drives smooth, starts every time, and pulls hard for a four door. I've been daily driving the Jag and fixing all of the minor items that I find and am very close to making it perfect. The car is quiet but when you want the power it is so fun knowing the horsepower is there. I smoked a Nissan 350 Z off the line which was a blast.

Quick Reply: 3.8 S Sleeper bodywork almost done!