MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

3.8 S Sleeper bodywork almost done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:43 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Just signed in to read more about this project, its very similar to what i had in mind with my MK2 Jag

Do you know if there is any chassis rail width difference between this engine and the mk2?

Did you need to modify the trans tunnel at all for clearance?

Old 07-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoney85
Just signed in to read more about this project, its very similar to what i had in mind with my MK2 Jag

Do you know if there is any chassis rail width difference between this engine and the mk2?

Did you need to modify the trans tunnel at all for clearance?

None of those needed to be modified. it is a tight fit but worth the effort.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I didn't notice the particular trans in use here but my 66 3.8S has the 700R4 with no trans tunnel mods.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GT6Steve
I didn't notice the particular trans in use here but my 66 3.8S has the 700R4 with no trans tunnel mods.

I am using a 5.3 LS1 with some mild upgrades to put out 450 HP with matching factory transmission beefed up for power.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Primaz,

I read your commentary on the headlights recently that reminded me of a topic I've long pondered.

Have you done anything with the white parking lamps down low on the front? I'm wondering what's available in mini spotlights or HID's? Something to make them useful.

Any thoughts on that?

Hope to see more pics soon, you should be in shakedown mode about now I believe

Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Primaz,

I read your commentary on the headlights recently that reminded me of a topic I've long pondered.

Have you done anything with the white parking lamps down low on the front? I'm wondering what's available in mini spotlights or HID's? Something to make them useful.

Any thoughts on that?

Hope to see more pics soon, you should be in shakedown mode about now I believe

That is a good idea but I'll have to check as I thought those white parking lamps plastic might prevent a brighter light from being that effective? I am pondering about either putting the yellow PIAA round fog lights under the bumper to cover some of the ugly stock bits since these cars never seem to have any air dam or possibly a narrow light bar to use when in the mountains? One thought we had was also to use a black decently strong metal mesh to help hide some of the ugly parts under the bumper?

We are so close I am going crazy. Shake down should start literally in a few days. Last items are making the Vaden Plas seats work, we finally found the computer modules and are now rewiring the ones needed to make the seats move since a lot are not needed in my application. Then fixing the rear brake lights, putting locking easily removable pins to secure the rolling trunk/mobile office, adding a steering stop, charging the AC, and a minor adjustment to the horn button along with a longer plastic hose for my train horns. Dam these little bits take forever! The car really looks clean now as if the V8 might have been an option

I cannot wait to shake it down and hopefully since we have been so careful there are not many issues. I paid for that Yosemite weekend drive posted on the West Coast Regional forum for Sept 20th so that is helping me push to get it all perfect before that drive.

Attached Thumbnails 3.8 S Sleeper bodywork almost done!-img_0236.jpg  

Last edited by primaz; 08-19-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 AM

As an aside, I put red plastic film into the reversing lamps on the trunk lid and wired them as a third brake light. Much more valuable to me than the backup lamps.

I am playing around with cardboard to produce a deeper frame cover for the front and incorporate a bit of a spoiler to decrease pressure under the car and thusly increase the delta across my rad. The racer has taught me the value of such an effort.

The following 2 users liked this post by GT6Steve:
MK2 (08-20-2014), primaz (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

As an aside, I put red plastic film into the reversing lamps on the trunk lid and wired them as a third brake light. Much more valuable to me than the backup lamps.

I am playing around with cardboard to produce a deeper frame cover for the front and incorporate a bit of a spoiler to decrease pressure under the car and thusly increase the delta across my rad. The racer has taught me the value of such an effort.

Steve,

That is a great idea for a third brake light!

Keep me posted about your spoiler....

The following users liked this post:
MK2 (08-20-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Default This week has been crazy but going on maiden voyage Friday!

The car is now done! There are still very minor tweaks but I think I have all of the main items done enough to go on that Yosemite weekend drive posted in the West Coast forum. Wish me luck as I am praying nothing causes any problems. I will post a lot of pictures and maybe some youtube videos next week.....

The car drives incredibly smooth, very quiet inside, and really turns some heads for a four door car. It really looks clean and I am very happy with how it turned out. I know I should test drive it more but I already paid in advance for this weekend drive so I am determined to go for it. Scrambling between shops and so far I think she will be ok, I hope Since there should be a good group of other car nuts I feel a little safer but this will be a long drive with only limited shake down testing. I drove the car when it was about 90 degrees and the Wizard radiator and dual fans kept the temp stable. I do not think we have time to get a professional alignment but it drives good enough to go for it.

Last edited by primaz; 09-17-2014 at 11:47 PM.
MK2 (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 3.8S Sleeper bodywork almost done!

Primaz,
Congrats on the completion (are we ever done)! Good luck on your trip. Looking forward to the pix and video. It has been a long journey and a lot of work and now come the rewards.
Lin

Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Oh Hell Yea, I support Lin's wish that all goes well. I'd be there if I could

Old 09-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Have a safe trip and enjoy.....

Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Unhappy Not a good day Friday....

I picked up the Jag Friday and drove it to my late AM meeting and was ready to leave work early and drive to El Dorado Hills for that weekend drive to Yosemite when my worst nightmare occurred. Before I tell you what happened, I do want to share how strong the car was running. The car is so quiet with the new exhaust you cannot notice there is a strong V8 under the hood as it sounds stock. The new gaskets keep it quiet along with Dynamatt and extra sound coating paint. The car just drives very good and stops on a dime. Driving in warm weather was no problem as the beefy Wizard radiator did its job perfectly. The Vaden Plas interior with all new leather, carpets, etc. was so comfortable. Lastly the custom stereo just rocks!

The nightmare,
while driving around 65 mph the hood popped up for half a second then disappeared about half a mile behind me! I do not know the right words other than four letter ones as my heart sank. For two seconds I thought is there any way to get it safely when a car ran over it, then second one, then a third, each time moving it say 5 yards closer to me. After two semi trucks, 14 cars had ran over it, you could not recognize it was a hood. At that point it was about 10 yards from me in the slow lane, I tried to wave a semi truck away but he just slowed down and ran over it slowly but then the an econo car tail gating the truck ran it over and it got stuck. I helped and dislodged what was left of my hood and chucked into the landscape.

The good news is I ordered all new chrome, new leaping Jag on Friday and found a used hood today which I will pick up tomorrow. This car never had a safety latch as I am guessing these old Jags never had that designed into it? But my body shop said they would find a way to add one so that this could never happen again. My repair shop has taken all responsibility as we are pretty sure someone did not fully close the hood.
I ended up renting a BMW and tried not to be totally depressed and went on the drive anyway and had an ok time but really wanted my car. So if all goes well maybe either the end of this week or next week I can start driving it and take completed photos and videos to post.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 521 Posts

My 340 has a safety latch and I know another guy who has a Mark2 and he has a latch as well.
I'm pretty sure that your 3.8S should have had one _ did it get removed somewhere along the way?

At least no one was hurt _ how can people just drive over a hood _ I would have stopped !

And after all that huge amount of work, for something like that happen ! My God !!

Edit:

You did have a safety latch, you can see it in the photo in post 106... Obviously it wasn't adjusted correctly or through all the mods, the part on the body where it was supposed to grab onto was taken away.

Last edited by JeffR1; 09-23-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:27 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Man plans. God laughs.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a '65 and it has a latch. So sorry about the accident.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

So sorry about the accident and I am glad no one was hurt apart from you must obviously be gutted after all the work.

I also have a 340 with a bonnet lock but I had to check!!!!!!.

I remember once driving a car I had just bought and the same thing happened to me, luckily the bonnet stayed with the car but it got a little "reshaped" as it hit the roof and for about 100 yards I drove through the small slit left at the bottom part of the window trying to stop without hitting anything.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

Primaz - I'm really sorry to hear about the mishap - something that could have happened to any one of us. I'm wondering if during removal and paint the little spring on the safety latch didn't get dislodged or reinstalled incorrectly such that the latch wasn't spring loaded against the tub surface when the lid was closed. Hey, you're ok, you didn't kill the guy behind you and you're already focused on the repair, so it could be a lot worse. Hope there wasn't too much damage to the windshield and roof - are the hinges intact? I'm curious where the thing parted, as I would have expected it to stay put more or less. How the hell fast were you going?! Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

This is my first Jag and the hood I had did not have the safety latch so since you folks seem to have it on yours, I can only assume the previous owner for some reason had an issue with it and never replaced it.

Doug, I was going about 65 to 70 when it happened. There is one small scratch on the roof and the hinges are tweaked but they are repairable.

Anyway I found a used 3.8S hood and dropped it off at the body shop. I ordered all new chrome and leaping Jag ornament. Unfortunately the leaping ornament might be back ordered? I think we can get the hood painted and everything functional by next week. Once I get her back on the road I will finally post a lot of pics and some videos The car is so close to being a daily driver that I am trying to get her back on the road ASAP. Thanks everyone for your replies.

MK2 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 06:02 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 3.8 S sleeper bodywork almost done

Primaz,
Please understand, I am not doubting what happened, but I don't understand how it happened. As Jeff said there was a safety catch on your bonnet. It can be seen in one of your photos. Did it not catch?

Did all six mounting bolts rip out of the bonnet? I understand that the bonnet might fly open and up slamming against the windscreen, but is the force great enough to pull six bolts out of the hinge to bonnet? It makes me wonder if the shop didn't actually mount the bonnet to the hinges.

Just sayin.

Lin

Quick Reply: 3.8 S Sleeper bodywork almost done!