MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

66 Jaguar Mark 2 Conversion to GM

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 Jaguar Mark 2 Conversion to GM

Hello all,
Very interesting discussion on engine modifications to Jaguar Mark 1 and 2's.
I have several other older XK Jaguars which I have restored to original specifications. (XK 120 OTS, XK 140 DHC, XK 150S OTS and a XKE) I do drive these cars, but not on a regular basis. I just bought a 1966 Mark 2 - 2.4 and want to modernize it to serve as my daily driver. I have looked at various kits for sale and am still confused about the best combinations for the whole drive train.I have no qualms about making sensible changes to this car as long as it remains authentic on the exterior and dash, etc.
May I have your opinions on the best combinations for this project?
Here are several choices that I am considering:
1) Chevy 4.3 V6 292 fuel injected and a T700 overdrive transmission using upgraded Jaguar front and rear suspensions and rack & pinion power steering with Wilwood brakes, etc.
2) Chevy LS1 with compatible transmission and chevy suspensions & steering
3) Jaguar 4.2 engine with T 5 transmission
Again, I would appreciate any insights you are willing to provide
Thanks, Gene

Old 03-18-2015, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by EugeneBKahn
Hello all,
Very interesting discussion on engine modifications to Jaguar Mark 1 and 2's.
I have several other older XK Jaguars which I have restored to original specifications. (XK 120 OTS, XK 140 DHC, XK 150S OTS and a XKE) I do drive these cars, but not on a regular basis. I just bought a 1966 Mark 2 - 2.4 and want to modernize it to serve as my daily driver. I have looked at various kits for sale and am still confused about the best combinations for the whole drive train.I have no qualms about making sensible changes to this car as long as it remains authentic on the exterior and dash, etc.
May I have your opinions on the best combinations for this project?
Here are several choices that I am considering:
1) Chevy 4.3 V6 292 fuel injected and a T700 overdrive transmission using upgraded Jaguar front and rear suspensions and rack & pinion power steering with Wilwood brakes, etc.
2) Chevy LS1 with compatible transmission and chevy suspensions & steering
3) Jaguar 4.2 engine with T 5 transmission
Again, I would appreciate any insights you are willing to provide
Thanks, Gene

Check this link:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...st-done-73952/

I have done exactly what you are talking about. My car looks stock on the outside but has all of the modern performance and interiors, etc. I am running a LS1 truck motor that is all aluminum block and heads putting out about 450 HP with stock matching trans so I could keep the stock column shift. The car has adjustable coil overs, offset 3 piece rims running much wider 245 tires on all four corners, power steering, AC, Wilwood brakes, back up camera, modern Jag interior from a Vaden Plas.

It was a lot of work but well worth it as the car has incredible power, great handling, quiet & a total sleeper, reliable, and comfortable. This is the perfect daily driver and it is my daily driver. The LS1 to me is the right choice as with very mild modifications you easily are over 400 HP with reliable power that will go 200,000 to 300,000 miles trouble free. Also instead of doing a total one off with another motor the LS engines have a huge amount of aftermarket parts made for custom engine swaps since people are putting these light weight, powerful, reliable motors in everything. Things like motor mounts, radiator connections, headers, etc have multiple versions for different custom swaps. Also places like March Performance have serpentine kits that make the narrow fit of the Jag fit all the modern power steering AC, etc. I like the light weight of all aluminum blocks as that engine I think is lighter than the stock straight 6 iron block.

To me the GM LS1 engines are the ideal power plant for the Jag early sedans as it has the light weight to not affect the handling, has good mileage, impressive reliability and the power so you can hold your own and beat many of the modern performance sedans. Doing any swap is not easy so putting in a under powered v6 or Jag v8 to me will leave you wishing for more power. The LS engines run forever trouble free.

Last edited by primaz; 03-18-2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have no insight into any of your choices but I have installed a gen I small block Chevy with 700r4 trans in my 62 MK2. No kit that I know of. Not easy, very tight and a lot of modified items.

Attached Thumbnails 66 Jaguar Mark 2 Conversion to GM-alt-bracket-600x338-.jpg  
Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primaz
Check this link:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...st-done-73952/

I have done exactly what you are talking about. My car looks stock on the outside but has all of the modern performance and interiors, etc. I am running a LS1 truck motor that is all aluminum block and heads putting out about 450 HP with stock matching trans so I could keep the stock column shift. The car has adjustable coil overs, offset 3 piece rims running much wider 245 tires on all four corners, power steering, AC, Wilwood brakes, back up camera, modern Jag interior from a Vaden Plas.

It was a lot of work but well worth it as the car has incredible power, great handling, quiet & a total sleeper, reliable, and comfortable. This is the perfect daily driver and it is my daily driver. The LS1 to me is the right choice as with very mild modifications you easily are over 400 HP with reliable power that will go 200,000 to 300,000 miles trouble free. Also instead of doing a total one off with another motor the LS engines have a huge amount of aftermarket parts made for custom engine swaps since people are putting these light weight, powerful, reliable motors in everything. Things like motor mounts, radiator connections, headers, etc have multiple versions for different custom swaps. Also places like March Performance have serpentine kits that make the narrow fit of the Jag fit all the modern power steering AC, etc. I like the light weight of all aluminum blocks as that engine I think is lighter than the stock straight 6 iron block.

To me the GM LS1 engines are the ideal power plant for the Jag early sedans as it has the light weight to not affect the handling, has good mileage, impressive reliability and the power so you can hold your own and beat many of the modern performance sedans. Doing any swap is not easy so putting in a under powered v6 or Jag v8 to me will leave you wishing for more power. The LS engines run forever trouble free.
Thanks so much for all your help. You are great
Gene