MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Aftermarket Steering Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 08:45 PM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Aftermarket Steering Wheels

Can anyone point me to a supplier for a wood rimmed steering wheel with hub to fit my 340? I've looked around but haven't found much of anything listed.

Old 10-18-2022, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Search:

Moto-lita ~ UK & Nardi ~ Italy (there are also a whole lot of rip offs that I would stay clear of for safety reasons (Nardi also makes Momo)

Their websites will give you hubs, bosses, wheels, hornpushes the whole nine yards to fit a Jaguar & a large choice of wheels. Especially Moto-lita

Then you can decide to import direct or ask them for their nearest US stockist. I suggest a 15" wheel. Works a treat & not so massive as standard. Gives a better drive too with PAS as I'm sure Cass & others will back up. Heavier at speed that relieves the over boosted twichiness. Jaguar (our old ones) do not have speed sensitive steering & at speed become too light.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-18-2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 731 Posts

I went for a well made repro with a Moto lita boss. As Glyn says there are lots of cheap wheels but you can see quality when you hold it. The wood should be riveted to the stainless steel rim. I came across a sale of new steering wheels at a classic car show and was allowed to take away a handful of them to compare the wood colours and grains before I chose one to suit. I also went for a 15 inch wheel rather than matching the standard Jaguar 17 inch. Makes the PAS less twitchy at speeds but does not compromise the manoeuvring ability at slow speeds as the PAS compensates for that. If you do not have PAS stick to the 17 inch wheel. They also come as a flat or concave shape. Obviously you want to go with the flat face.

Below are my new 15 inch wooden Motor Lita repro followed by the standard 17 inch black Bakelite wheel to give you the difference in size and style. Then lastly a very rare Derrington Jaguar factory wooden steering wheel option.

​​​​​​​Vic Derrington started making steering wheels in the early 1950s and was granted a Patent, on October 5, 1955, for specific characteristics: slotted spokes, three spokes evenly spaced, and a laminated rim of mahogany with beech or white sycamore. In the 1950s - '60s, over 60% of Derrington's production was exported, most to the United States.
Bill Lyons asked Derrington to design and produce a special optional steering wheel for the Mk2. The steering wheel that Derrington designed especially for Jaguar to offer as a factory option differed from the standard wheel. It was of the standard 17 in. diameter, but with three solid spokes, two horizontal for mounting the Jaguar horn push assembly and a lower vertical spoke. It also had additional holes to left and right of center to attach the Jaguar horn ring assembly.
The Birmabright spokes were highly polished and the woodrim of contrasting laminations of white beech and rich red mahogany were clear lacquered to bring out the grain. The Jaguar optional steering wheel was priced at £12 and took the standard Jaguar center horn push and half horn-ring.
Jaguar Part No. C.25198 was offered as an option on both the Mk2 and ‘S’-type Jaguar. They were hardly ever seen on of either car and examples are very very rare.
Derrington gradually moved away from steering wheel production, fully concentrating on their successful tuning activities. By the late 60’s Derrington had completely stopped producing steering wheels and Moto-Lita continued manufacturing of the “Derrington" steering wheel.

Last edited by Cass3958; 10-18-2022 at 05:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

My Nardi made wheel with Moto-lita hub. One of 4 made. 15" shallow dish. I will be using a black Moto-lita horn push which I have found a Jaguar Coventry centre badge for. And a Moto-lita black hub with black ring & nuts & bolts.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-18-2022 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,463 Likes on 1,852 Posts

go to Moss Motors website and look at their line of "Tourist Trophy" wheels in wood or leather, in thin or thick grip. Excellent quality and inexpensive compared to Nardi, Momo, or Motolita prices. They have the boss kits with horn push for MK-2 / S type / XJ-6, / E type, etc. .
I purchased one in black leather with thick grip from Moss USA in Goleta California back in 2005.

Old 10-18-2022, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I have a 15" Moto-Lita. Astrali is another established brand in the UK - some people prefer their wood. Don't companies like CarId list steering wheels in the US?

Glyn M Ruck (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Don't have an accident with cheap wheels like TT. They will damage you badly. I am guided by the racing fraternity.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-18-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Peter3442 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 08:31 AM
Received 1,069 Likes on 627 Posts

I have an original Derrington steering wheel on my MK2. It was there when I acquired it.
I accept that they are rare, but I have been offered stupid amounts of money ($1000 +) for the wheel
Are they that good? I think they are a little flimsy compared to the original black plastic wheel.
I suppose it is whatever turns you on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mac:
Glyn M Ruck (10-18-2022), Peter3442 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
I have an original Derrington steering wheel on my MK2. It was there when I acquired it.
I accept that they are rare, but I have been offered stupid amounts of money ($1000 +) for the wheel
Are they that good? I think they are a little flimsy compared to the original black plastic wheel.
Any chance of a photo of it in situ Bill. I have never seen one fitted to a car.
I can also swap it for a standard steering wheel if you want and I will even pay the postage both ways. lol.
I think the price shows their rarity not the quality and to think they were just an extra £12 on the 60s option list.

It appears that you can buy a new after market replica of this steering wheel from Europa spares for a cool £578. https://www.europaspares.com/16_stee...waAk5mEALw_wcB

Last edited by Cass3958; 10-18-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Peter3442 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
Derrington made many wheels for Jaguar. Even the old E Type wheel was flimsy (had one on my Berry Mini T Beach Buggy as a kid ~ kept bending the thing so I cast it in the trash & got a proper & strong Woodrim wheel from Nardi). I think Derrington wheels are particularly ugly & the horn rim clatters on the spoke. They even patented the damn thing. Vic Derrington can keep his flimsy wheel. I was used to my decent woodrim wheels on my Alfas made by Nardi.

e.g. they made these for Jaguar. It was an optional extra for many years. (made for them by V W Derrington P/N C.25198)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-19-2022 at 12:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Glyn M Ruck:
Cass3958 (10-18-2022), Peter3442 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Wood rims that might split in a dangerous way and spokes with holes that a driver might wedge his finger in are amongst the possible reasons for rejection of a kit car subject to single vehicle approval in the UK. Owners wrap them in leather tape for the purpose of the test.

Glyn M Ruck (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

My wife bought the Moto-Lita for me as a present years ago at a Cheshire Cats Trophy at Oulton Park. It cost £40 or so complete with boss. In retrospect, I wish she'd bought a dozen.

Glyn M Ruck (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

a friend's MK-2 has a Derrington, it is a pretty elegant steering wheel. first photo below. Second photo is my Tourist Trophy, which is made out of aluminium and then covered with either wood or leather like any other Nardi, Momo or Motolita. I had a Motolita in my MG-B in 1970 and the lacquer didn't last 1 year, it started checking / cracking. I gave up on wood steering wheels until 2020 when I found a Momo Italy wheel in wood and aluminum for my XJ-6 which I ended covering with leather!!. (third photo).

Old 10-18-2022, 11:02 AM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

Adding my vote for the 15" Nardi wheel. I used these on my E-Type and Mark 2 projects - the one here used a Growler horn push I had left over from the E-Type. I don't think they're all that expensive given the build quality and finish. They have a substantial heft about them that adds to the driving experience.

Another Derrington installed on a very nice Mark 2 at a JCNA concours in New England. Not sure about the rivets.

Last edited by Doug Dooren; 10-18-2022 at 01:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug Dooren:
Cass3958 (10-19-2022), Glyn M Ruck (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

I don't care for the Nardi but I love the sunvisors.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug Dooren
Adding my vote for the 15" Nardi wheel. I used these on my E-Type and Mark 2 projects - the one here used a Growler horn push I had left over from the E-Type. I don't think they're all that expensive given the build quality and finish. They have a substantial heft about them that adds to the driving experience.
Yes ~ a proper, safe & beautifully made strong wheel. Ferrari has had enough crashes with them in days of yore & drivers walked away possibly a little bruised but that's all. You get what you pay for. Excuse the blind.

Nardi has a superb reputation a mile long & going back years. Over the years they have produced some of the most attractive wheels out there & garnered many awards. Their range even covered the horn pushes through the slits in the spokes for Alfa (deep dish). Another awarded wheel. They are the most awarded steering wheel company on the planet. Available natural, polished or black metal finish. Rim polished unless satin is specifically ordered.

Centre push horn.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-19-2022 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

"dished" wheels like Nardi will end up too separated from the turn signal and overdrive switches, and from the shifter (if automatic), and close to your chest.

Jaguar used "flat" steering wheels, not dished. Something to think about before you order ANY steering wheel. Unless that separation is exactly what you want.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
"dished" wheels like Nardi will end up too separated from the turn signal and overdrive switches, and from the shifter (if automatic), and close to your chest.

Jaguar used "flat" steering wheels, not dished. Something to think about before you order ANY steering wheel. Unless that separation is exactly what you want.
This is a problem especially if have the wheel positioned towards you and away from the dash, which is often the case to obtain better leverage for parking non-PAS cars. It would have been better if the stalks moved in and out with the wheel.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Peter3442
This is a problem especially if have the wheel positioned towards you and away from the dash, which is often the case to obtain better leverage for parking non-PAS cars. It would have been better if the stalks moved in and out with the wheel.
yes Peter, unfortunately the switches are not adjustable front to rear.

what's worse, the aftermarket hubs or "boss" have a tendency to push the steering wheel outwards away from the switches and shifter arm, so when you fit the dished wheel plus the aftermarket hub, you end up with even more distance. I have this situation with both my XJ-6 and S type and the non-dished wheels. The cause is the hub.

​​​​​

Old 10-19-2022, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose

Well then buy a flat Nardi with accurate hubs as Moto-lita are. That's why I bought a shallow dish as you can see. You can barely see it. Nardi makes all shapes & sizes. Alfa just happens to prefer deep dish & I wanted to show how pretty they are. Nardi & Moto-lita hubs do not move the wheel closer to the driver. They are same as standard. In Nardi's case they can provide multiple length hubs and the Jaguar wheel is adjustable in & out.

BTW ~ A little secret. If you buy new arms only, they can be shaped further toward you like an optometrist shapes your spectacle frames. They are now plastic over metal. No more corrosion. And yes they are plenty strong. We have test fitted my wheel & no control issues standard. The only reason I have my standard wheel on was for my 100> points concours inspection. You can shape the new arms with your optometrist's induction heater or any induction heater. My old arms went in the bin due to light corrosion. Some are awfully corroded.

The guy that works for Nardi that had these 4 hybrid wheels made wanted satin finish so I accepted that (he did not have to sell one to me. He had plenty of people that wanted them). My wheel, as we speak, is being taken to full gloss to match the rest of my wood. Being done by a friend that is one of the finest wood workers I know. And I know him. He will polish the thing for days. finally with cotton wool by hand. I've watched him work many times over the years. We go back to school days.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-19-2022 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Steering Wheels