MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

AJ6 in a Mk2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013 | 06:26 PM
|
Default AJ6 in a Mk2?

I know they have been done before, was looking to find some information on them. Anyone know of any good write ups?

Old 11-29-2013 | 12:18 PM

hi pall i thought you were going for the V6 engine ??
im on the same boat dont want to spend a bomb but do want a lot more power and 30 mpg

Old 11-29-2013 | 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

In my opinion any engine swap is not going to be completely easy and for all that work I would want increased power, reliability and performance. I personally still think for all that I would go with either a GM LS motor using a 5.3 liter for the best performance yet still get close to 25 mpg or do the extra modifications like Doug is doing for a newer Jag V8 as the swap.

If you really want increased MPG more than say 25 as I think the GM V8 will give the most for a V8 I am not sure I'd go with the discontinued AJ6 that has no clear consensus on reliability. One thought would be two motors that come to mind for power, reliability and more MPG. The first would be what I plan on doing as a swap for my 240Z, that is the Nissan Skyline inline 6 RGB motor that in stock form will be between 300 to 400 with very little effort and they can easily get a reliable 750 to 850 HP in street form. The issue is that that motor and tranny while having a huge following for performance parts etc. is extremely popular among drifters and racers so the price is not that cheap. Another less expensive option to consider is the new Nissan 350 or 370Z V6 motor in stock form will be also about 300-400 HP and is less expensive but has less potential for really big horsepower than the Skyline but also has a huge performance aftermarket parts availability.

Those two Nissan motors would get you much better power than the AJ6 and better fuel economy with lots of performance potential. The only issue to me between both of these and the AJ6 is that it will a lot of work that you need to be dedicated to follow through to fruition. I think the AJ6 will be harder as the power of the motor is not that great so there will be very few people whom have done it and getting help and advice is not easy. The Nissan options you can get a lot of help as far as custom ECU and performance parts but you will be the only one doing it so just like the AJ6 you better be dedicated to find creative solutions and custom shops when issues arise and I am sure they will.

These old Jags are still relatively heavy cars so getting big MPG is not easy and getting it with power is harder yet. Like I said a GM LS 5.3 with the right ECU can get you 22-25 but getting 30 is hard with any swap on that big car but the Nissans might do it.

Anyway that is my 2 cents....

Last edited by primaz; 11-29-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2013 | 07:15 PM
|

The LS1 is a great engine, I did a MGB LS1 swap and it was a great car. I have a C6 Corvette, and a Chevy Pick up both of which run LS based engines. I even have a LS1 with 12K miles in my garage sitting on the floor waiting for a project.

I am interested in the A-6 because it is almost a bolt in. I am trying to find out if I go with a later six cylinder XJR engine, how much fab work will I need to do. If it is a bolt in the thought of a 300HP engine is appealing. I would lean towards a Megasquirt to handle the injection and the shifting on a 4L65.

Any more horsepower than that is overkill on my project since it will be running a 185 tire. I will stay with the stock suspension, add ac and electronically assisted steering. I want a nice boulevard cruiser, my garage is already filled with performance cars.

So, back to my original question: What is required to use an A6/16 engine into a MK2?

Old 11-30-2013 | 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

So, back to my original question: What is required to use an A6/16 engine into a MK2?
Well, first off, I've never done this, but a few thoughts come to mind. The AJ6/AJ16 engine is broadly the same size as the XK engine it will replace. However, bear in mind it was installed "on the slant", but you might want it upright in the Mark 2.

Essentially the same or similar alterations to take a US "lump" will be necessary.

1. Original Mark 2 electrics are +ve earth. This needs to be changed over to -ve earth so the more modern ECU on the AJ engine will work.
2. Mechanically, you will need: -
- a custom exhaust system
- Location for the ECU + wiring to power it up.
- High-pressure petrol pump for the EFI system. This will run higher amps so the electric supply line may need upgrading.
- modified petrol tank to take the fuel return pipe
- radiator with more cooling capacity but the same overall size.
- Body shell alterations to take the three mounting points of engine (2) and gearbox (1) Much depends here on what gearbox you choose
- cooling hoses to fit (made up specially)
- new front springs to suit the lighter weight of the AJ engine
- possible modified sump casting if the AJ one doesn't clear the front sub-frame

Old 11-30-2013 | 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Also the gas pedal on those old Jaguars is linkage based and most modern cars are controlled via a cable so that might require changes as well; I changed the gas pedal to one cable based. I am sure that there will be other bracket issues for hoses and other connections that will need to be fabricated unless there is aftermarket ones people sell which I doubt as that is not an engine popular for engine swaps.

The MK2's are about a 3300 lb car and the original engine only provided about 18 MPG so even using a lighter 6 cylinder do you really think that an engine given the vintage of an AJ6 (1997 or older) will get you 30 MPG? I thought the cars using that AJ6 motor were also about 3000 to 4000 lbs so similar to a MK2 but they only got between 16 to 21 PMG so why would you think that it would get 30 MPG? How my GM motor is getting the increased MPG is due to the custom ECU programming that the motor builder/tuner shop I purchased the motor from created. It might be possible for the AJ6 motor to get I think more like 25 MPG as the LS1 motor in stock form also got about the same MPG as your AJ6 which both were about 21 MPG so if someone has created new programming for fuel efficiency then the more modern 6 cylinder motor might get 25 or more? I do not think putting a stock AJ6 will get you close to 30 MPG but rather more like 21 best case?

Old 11-30-2013 | 07:13 PM
|

I know it is possible to mount the A6/16 engine in a series 3 XJ6 by using XJS motor mounts. I am trying to figure out if it will work in a MK2. If it takes too much fabrication I would go LS1

Primaz, I think you have me confused with another poster. I could care less about the gas mileage the car gets. Doing any engine swap requires a tremendous amount of work, and frankly I am looking for an easier restoration.

Old 12-01-2013 | 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevenfrances
hi pall i thought you were going for the V6 engine ??
im on the same boat dont want to spend a bomb but do want a lot more power and 30 mpg

Steve,

The MK2's are about a 3300 lb car and the original engine only provided about 18 MPG so even using a lighter 6 cylinder do you really think that an engine given the vintage of an AJ6 (1997 or older) will get you 30 MPG? I thought the cars using that AJ6 motor were also about 3000 to 4000 lbs so similar to a MK2 but they only got between 16 to 21 PMG so why would you think that it would get 30 MPG? How my GM motor is getting the increased MPG is due to the custom ECU programming that the motor builder/tuner shop I purchased the motor from created. It might be possible for the AJ6 motor to get I think more like 25 MPG as the LS1 motor in stock form also got about the same MPG as your AJ6 which both were about 21 MPG so if someone has created new programming for fuel efficiency then the more modern 6 cylinder motor might get 25 or more? I do not think putting a stock AJ6 will get you close to 30 MPG but rather more like 21 best case?
I do not think any engine swap is going to be ultra cheap as there are so many modifications to enable the swap; the only time it would be considered cheap to me is when you are comparing it to a massive performance upgrade to the stock motor beyond simple bolt on items. If you want increased power without much work then maybe what to consider is not a swap but mild performance enhancements like headers, changing the induction, etc. but I do not think you can ever get 30 MPH with performance for a car this heavy without spending a lot of money.

Old 12-02-2013 | 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

Fiboy in the Netherlands installed a AJ6 engine and ZF tranny in his MK-1, but this guy is an engineer and he remanufactured the entire car.

FiBoy's Mk 1 restoration; modernization of a Jaguar Mark I Saloon 2.4 litre

Old 12-02-2013 | 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

In the US, you have thousands and thousands of US-built cheap V8 engines, some are very sophisticated, and just as good as European stuff, but we rarely see them here. Putting one of these in will be cheaper just because the huge quantity manufactured cuts the costs hugely. Even AJ6/16 engines were only made in small quantities in comparison. Of course, here in Europe, there are not so many US engines about nor the support for them.

Old 12-02-2013 | 10:53 PM
|

I am going to do the LS1 conversion. Primaz's passion has convinced me that it is the way to go. Time to start assembling parts.
Ed

Old 12-03-2013 | 06:05 AM

Primaz's defenetly has passion about the Ls1 i would go down that road as well but i think geting the parts from usa cost's a bomb i was charged more TAX than i paid for the part once when it was deliverd. i have recon it will cost 4 to 5 k +++ to put the Ls1 engine in my car.
but i can get a s type jag running in the uk for 500 so i recon the extra work may win the day for me i have thought about just droping in the V6 as that engine is the same size as the V8 that was in my daimler mk2 but it will be even better and easy to go for the manual. and lets be honest 240 hp is not going to be slow against the original.
good luck at what you decide as i just cant make the mind up

Old 12-05-2013 | 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevenfrances
I put Megasquirt on a stock 9:1 3.8 engine; used the carb bodies and put a TBI injector on top of each. I also put in a 5 speed gearbox, although an original manual with OD would have given me the same overall ratio. If I keep the speed down to 55-60 mph I can get 30 mpg on the highway.

I suspect I could bring the mileage up a bit if I added cruise control and continued tweaking the timing.

I have no idea how power compares to a stock 3.8S, but it does feel lively and has enough power for me.

Old 12-05-2013 | 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I put Megasquirt on a stock 9:1 3.8 engine; used the carb bodies and put a TBI injector on top of each. I also put in a 5 speed gearbox, although an original manual with OD would have given me the same overall ratio. If I keep the speed down to 55-60 mph I can get 30 mpg on the highway. I suspect I could bring the mileage up a bit if I added cruise control and continued tweaking the timing. I have no idea how power compares to a stock 3.8S, but it does feel lively and has enough power for me.
The 9:1 3.8 Jaguar engine is also what I have in my '65 S type, and I agree, it has plenty power, what it needs is a 5-speed auto transmission to lower the revs at highway speeds for higher gas mileage and noise reduction, although the engine has a "sweet spot" around 83 mph in which it goes "quiet".