MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Borg Warner 35 MK2 / 340

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Borg Warner 35 MK2 / 340

I am restoring a 1964 Mk2. I wish to replace the original auto trans model DG250 with a Borg Warner 66 from a 1987 XJ6. While many consider the BW66 a poor choice I believe it will hold up if rebuilt properly.

In order to facilitate the conversion i am looking for the mounting parts from a MK2/340 with a BW35 transmission. It is my belief that as the BW35 is closely related to the BW66 these parts will facilitate the conversion.

I would like to find the rear mount with all the hardware, spacers and bushings. The gear selector and selector cable. The drive shaft (one or two piece?) and importantly the kick down carb linkage and cable.

Being in the U.S. i would prefer parts from a LHD car but I assume most if not all of the RHD parts would be the same.

If anyone is parting a 340 with the BW35 please contact me. thanks

Bob

Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Bob,I had a dg box on my 3.8,mk2. Due to the high cost of renovation of same , and I was told that the dg was not very good!. I fitted a BW 65,ex xj6from 70's I believe, incl the shift , floor mount. Used original prop shaft, no alterations. Had to modify dg rear mount. Used same speedo cog as donor also had 3.54 ;1. Used donor kick down levers driven by original rods.Car only done 50 miles since back on road, but seems ok.
barry

Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Barry
Thank you for the reply. Sounds interesting. I have measured the length of the BW66 I plan on using and it is approximately 3 inches longer than the original DG250 fitted to my Mk2. It is my understanding that the BW65 length is identical to the BW66. I am wondering how the original driveline was used without at least shortening the "first" prop shaft. Would you know the OAL of your BW65 Measured from the face of the bell housing to the rear face of the driveline flange.

I plan on using a column mounted gear selector. That "should" be the same as the BW35 Mk2 gear selector. Locating a LHD donor BW35 / Mk2 gear selector is a dilemma. I am installing a power lock limited slip and I do not recall the ratio but I must change the speedo drive accordingly.

Did you use the kickdown levers from the BW65 donor transmission (carb linkage?) or the DG250 transmission which I believe was on the throttle shaft and located in the transmission tunnel. At least my DG250 installation is like that. Later DG250 installations "may" have used a linkage arrangement on the rear carb.

I would like to see pictures of the modified DG250 mount. It appears that my donor XJ6 / BW66 mount is much different than the DG250.

Thanks

Bob

Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Default Bw12

I was suspect of a BW65 transmission bolting into a MK2 without driveline mods. I believe that a 1970's XJ6 which was the donor vehicle for your swap would have used a Borg Warner 12 transmission which would be likely to share dimensions with the DG250. They were both cast iron cased units also.

If the trans you placed into your MK2 had a cast iron case it was a BW12.

Bob

Old 05-02-2014, 04:30 AM

Hi Bob, well if my memory serves me it says 65 on the label and it has an alloy case. You are correct in saying that the DG has an iron case. Why are you sure that a 65 will not fit?.
Yes the dg mount is so very different from the xj6 mount for the 65.The dg mount is basically a square frame with 2 rubber 'Cotton reels'. The xj mount is a heavy frame with 2 large rubber sandwich mounts, and a large coil spring. I mounted the whole in the dg frame with some extensions to pick up the old front mounting holes. When it came the prop shaft I was very surprised to find that the box was of similar lenght.
I have some pics , but having trouble getting them from my pic box to my mail box.( I am not a young modern brought up on computers that finds every thing second nature, I struggle, espevcially with this pic thing)
Just found a record of the 65 box,BG65 number 033-6997, seems to bear out my claim that at least its a 65.
barry
PS the 12 box was used on early 4.2 series 2 vehicles, mines was alledged to be from a 76/77. 65 3.4 &4.2 series 2&3.

Last edited by barrymk2; 05-02-2014 at 04:33 AM. Reason: additional info found
Old 05-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Barry

My suspicions of a BW65 fitting without changing drive line length is based upon my understanding that the BW65 was identical to the BW66 save for internal changes. The pump and gear set were changed. The case is the same. It is possible that the rear casing or "tail" was different. That would require a shorter output shaft which is also possible. No suppliers I spoke with said the rear shaft for a BW65 was a different part than that used in a BW66. Everyone I have asked state the BW66 and BW65 are the same length. I am certain that the BW66 I have which was from a 1987 XJ6 is approx. 3 inches longer than the DG250 that came with my MK2.

It may be possible that the difference in length was compensated for by the travel in the splined joints.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
barrymk2 (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM

Bob, it seems that the difference in length between dg & 65 IS 3 ", as you said, my apoligise,27" against 24". And no the difference has not been taken up by the splines as there appears to be no splines on the front shaft,( that is held in place by a centre support!!). Not visible, unless some one out there knows different.My parts manual shows no splines on front shaft.
Both the front shaft and support, according to workshop manual, are the same for all autos!!!!?
If you have the manual , the support shown, simple angle iron square, is as dg.Shown in propshaft section. It was to this that I added the xj6 mount.I digress.
At this moment in time I cant think how I have lost 3"!!!!!!!!!!! I know it was some time ago but!!!!!!!!!!
I will have to exercise the old brain cells and try and remember exactly what took place. I can say catagorically that I have not modified the prop in any way.
Once again sorry to contradict your figures.
barry

Last edited by barrymk2; 05-02-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:21 PM

Barry
My parts book shows a different shaft for BW35 automatic equipped MK2's. The parts book drawing for this propeller shaft only shows one shaft. No mention if the illustrated shaft fits to the front shaft or if it is a one shaft design. It uses a different style spline and sleeve yoke utilizing a rubber gaiter. The manual does not quote any shaft lengths. The BW35 became the BW65/66 and very well may be the same OAL. You are correct that the front shaft is a fixed length without a splined section. If the center bearing assembly was shifted rearward and the splined yoke had sufficient travel then that may have been the way you fit the original prop shaft to a longer transmission.

If the angle of the output flange change that might account for accepting a longer prop shaft. As the other dimensions I checked appear to match for both transmissions but for the length.
If you are certain that you did not modify the prop shaft I am at a loss of how you fit a longer transmission in place of the old DG250.

I will have to engineer a solution. Surely I will remove a length equal to the additional length of the transmission. Of course checking it in situ before modifying the shaft.

I understand having a lapse of memory.
bob

Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Bob, According to my service manual,all autos had the small shaft (10.5")at the front linked to the gear box, with a steady bearing at the end,before joining the main propshaft(27 7/8" this measurement is from the UJ to the shoulder adjoining the splines).This is regardless of engine size. I believe that the auto shaft is of a smaller diameter to that of the manual. The 2.4 changed to AM shaft at 103381 Auto.
The Parts manual I am using pub1972 by jaguar.lists a few shaft types.plate 53,is the 1st asy C26658 (alt toC26675) a manual mod I believe.plate 54 2pcs shaft no model given. This is mine.Shows steady bearing.plate55 bw35 looks like a one pcs.This contradicts what is stated in the AM service manual, as I have stated above.Manual is forth edition, no date given.
I have checked the position if the steady bearing on my vehicle, and it appears to be in its original position and the correct way round( I am surprised, as logic says not)Need to get better access so as to better observe and measure. I really am puzzled as to where the 3" has gone.

JUST BEEN AND TAKEN SOME MEASURMENTS diameter of both 2" . length of rear 27 7/8", length of front difficult to measure but looks like ILW service manual.?????????
No splines visible on rear shaft.
Bob, if you already have a dg box, how much of the splines have you showing. May be able to make further comment after.
Barry
barry

Last edited by barrymk2; 05-05-2014 at 09:00 AM.