MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Bought an S-type. Maybe. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an S-type. Maybe. Need some advice.

I need some expert advice and this seems like the place to get it! First, a little background. I occasionally buy cars to either re-sell or part out. Last week I placed bids on several cars on copart.com (it's an auction site for salvage vehicles, if you aren't familiar with it). I bid often, but never win since I am, by nature, "thrifty." As you may have heard (ahem), things have changed in the week since I placed the bids. Long story short, this week's auction was not well-attended and I ended up with several cars. Not looking forward to telling my wife...

One of the cars is a 1964 S-type missing its engine and transmission, but seeming complete otherwise. This is, obviously, not the normal kind of cars at a salvage website. I have a love for cars of the era and have owned a decent selection (using every one as a daily driver) so, on impulse, I put a bid in and moved on. Now that the auction finished up and I'm the winner, I'm a little less enthused. I just finished a 3-year-long total restoration on a 1968 Corvette and have no interest whatsoever in starting another major project. Here are my options.

a) Take the car and part it out. Except for the obvious missing drivetrain, it looks to be pretty complete. I hate parting out something rare, though. Plus I don't know that there is much of a market (especially in Missouri). Are the trim bits, interior parts, etc. worth anything?
b) Take the car and resell it as-is. Given the paucity of these, I don't have a good estimate on what it's worth (which means, yes and obviously, that I was a fool to bid on it...).
c) Take the car and either find an engine and transmission or do a kind of resto-mod thing with an RB or JZ or something. As I said, right now I have no appetite for this.
d) Do not take the car. There is a fee associated with withdrawing an offer before picking up the car. But maybe that's the price I pay for shotgunning my bids... The other cars I won will pay for the fee several times over, so it's not the end of the world.

Now the question. What would be the wisest choice? I have the garage space to either store it or part it out. Also, my winning bid was $1200. Any thoughts (or abuse for irresponsible online bidding...) are welcome. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2020, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 806 Posts

Sir, you cause me great consternation.
I suggest contacting jagstyperegister.com to at least see what you can find out there.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the consternation! It took 9 days for the mods to approve this post, and in the meantime I had to make a decision. I passed on the car. As much as I liked the idea, I decided that the project wasn't something I'm ready to tackle right now. Sorry for the hassles! I've had several British cars (though only 1 Jaguar) and have no doubt there is another in my future. Until then, keep them all in good shape for me!

Old 03-27-2020, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 806 Posts

All kidding aside, that looks like a really good example, I wish Id had a chance at it. Thats the consternation. Better luck next time.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:38 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
Sir, you cause me great consternation.
I suggest contacting jagstyperegister.com to at least see what you can find out there.

I'm with Jerry on this please post this on the S Type register as to part it out would be a crime, it looks to be in good condition regarding body and interior,, nothing that can't be sorted out. Finding an engine and trans can't be that difficult to find even in the US.