MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

custom MII

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:40 PM
Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
Default custom MII

anyone know more about this car? more pics? build story?

custom MII

Old 06-28-2018, 08:57 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts
Old 06-28-2018, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jagstuart
anyone know more about this car? more pics? build story?

custom MII
That is the restomod MK2 by Callum the original designer of the MK2 Jag. I believe the first one was a 6 cylinder but now they are running a 4.3 Liter Jag V8. Having built my 3.8s Jaguar restomod with a 5.3 liter LS1 aluminum block V8, the early Jaguar saloons ideally need about 400+ HP to really be a fast sedan in our modern era. Their limited production of about a dozen cars is priced at a level that most could never afford, as it is about $450,000 to $485,000 US dollars. If you look at my build as well as Doug's MK2 XKR build they are even at a higher performance level than the Callum. They did a great job as every detail is show quality. Doug's MK2 is a great example of someone building their version of a Callum at a lot less money but sharing the attention to detail. I definitely understand his vision as the classic Jaguar saloons look great but they need that restomod upgrade to have all the luxury and technology of a new car and power so that they can really be enjoyable and be on par with today's performance sedans and since he has enough money he could commission a custom modern version of his original design and not worry what it costs to build it. Having built my own version of a classic Jaguar restomod, I can attest that it is not a simple restomod as the engine bay will be very tight and a lot of the upgrades to make it like a modern car, etc. take a lot of custom work so I can understand their high price tag. While you can build one cheaper I would say that it is not simple so you better have enough money and persistence to see it to fruition.

Limited Run of Jaguar Mark 2 Designed By Ian Callum

SHARESFacebook
Twitter

Several days ago, Ian Callum introduced the new Jaguar Mark 2 to the world. There was an immediate response from Gear Heads around the world. Classic Motors Cars Limited or CMC also announced that they will participate in this project.

Jaguar Mark 2 is a redesigned Jaguar, and was been launched a little less than a week ago. Jaguar Company has been working with CMC for 18 months on launching this redesigned version of Jaguar, and the new Jaguar Mark 2 will be extremely limited production. The car represents the redesigned version but the integrity of Jaguar remained.

The redesigned part refers to the shape and performance. After its technology and aesthetics have been modified, the car had better features regarding practicality and driving excitement. The car has refined 4.3 liter XK engine that has been coupled to a five-speed manual gearbox. There is also improvement in the car`s independent rear suspension and front brakes. The Mark 2 rides on 17” split rim spoke wheels and bumpers.

The suspension includes: front side has a power assisted rack, uprated coil springs, roll bar and wishbone bushes, adjustable dampers and solid subframe mountings. The back side has next features: refined coil springs, independent rear suspension, blade control wishbones, outboard disc brakes, an anti-roll bar and adjustable dampers. The interior also received a few changes. Ian Callum said that the huge response from car enthusiasts surprised him, too. His first intention was to rebuild and redesign the car for himself but people actually recognized and appreciated the value of the redesigned vehicle. The price of the new Jaguar Mark 2 ranges from 350 to 374 thousand pounds.

https://www.classic-motor-cars.co.uk...-restoration_1

Last edited by primaz; 06-28-2018 at 11:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagstuart (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 702 Likes on 507 Posts

What spoils that for me are those fat tires on body that was never meant to have them.
Looks like some kid tried to stick as big a wheels/tires as he could get with barely any rear clearance _ it just looks so out of place. The rear tires are even sticking out past the rear fenders.
This is what I see.

Last edited by JeffR1; 06-29-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member

They could have used a different offset to position the wheel further in the well, although I would say that the stock 175 or 185 looks lame to me and more like an old man's car. I am running 245 wide tires on all four corners with no rubbing nor any tire sticking out of the wheel wells and the car handles so much better. The way they improved the lines of the MK2 with the nicer front valence, bumper, etc. I did not initially notice the wheels sticking out slightly, for that kind of money they should to me use a different offset to not only position the wheel inside more but actually a little wider as it looks like just a 225 wide tire. I found some other pictures and I think it is more of just barely sticking out and more of an illusion on that angle of the photo and the tire choice; it would probably look better with a little lower profile tire.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/jagua...-in-motion-012
I do not think it was an issue that the right offset would not fix but I do know that the rear suspension is totally unique to the Mark 2 by Callum, with control-blade wishbones (sourced from an AWD Jaguar X-Type) and a Ford Costworth differential mounted to a custom fabricated subframe. As with the front suspension, the coil springs and anti-roll bars have been uprated and the body motions controlled via adjustable shocks. The rear disc brakes are mounted outboard. These changes to the rear end are a huge improvement as the MK2 rear suspension is a under performing leaf spring with a solid axle and if you look at pictures of the Callum rear end I also think it is fully independent in the rear?

The Callum restomod MK2 does look a lot nicer than the stock MK2 to me as the lines look so much more cleaner and the interior also is a big improvement.

Last edited by primaz; 06-29-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:38 AM
Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for intel, And just to let you know primaz, the dedication and expertise that when into your build should put a smile on your face for a LONG time. Cheers and happy motoring - stu

Old 06-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 702 Likes on 507 Posts

Primaz, I don't mind the look of the wider tires if they're fitted properly into the body.
Yours look correct (IMHO), but the Cullum one simply looks like they couldn't source the right wheels/rims, so they used what they had around the shop.
I think one can go overboard with too wide as well, or even too big a rims _ like on the Bentley.

Too wide of a tire can just have the opposite effect, too much rubber on the pavement for the weight of the vehicle _ causes lots of hydroplaning in the rain.
Rolling resistance goes up too, so that would affect fuel economy, if one is worried about that.

And I guess I'm an old man, I like the look of narrow tires.
Painted rims too with a little touch of chrome...

Old 06-29-2018, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Stu,
Yes, I am having a lot of fun driving the 3.8s as it is now my daily driver for work M-F and in less than 3 years I have about 100,000 miles driving with no issues. It really helps with my often stressful job, being able to drive it hard and it is a lot of fun as cars are surprised how fast this 4 door car can scoot. I have gone thru brake pads and rotors since the car is an automatic, I definitely drive it hard whenever it is safe (hard 0-60, freeway 75-100 MPH) and I cannot use a manual tranny to downshift.

JeffR1,
Wider tires have way more benefit than narrower tires. It is actually way better with much wider than stock tires as it will greatly improve handling. It will take extreme wide tires before hydro-planning is even a minor worry. I do know about that as I have a highly customized 240Z that is running 345 wide 35 series tires in the rear and 285 40 series tires in the front and yes it can hydro-plane but only in the rain and I rarely drive in the rain and if I do I then I do drive like a granny in wet conditions. For a Jaguar going from a stock 175 or 185 to say a 245 or 255 is not really that wide of tire where any of those hydroplaning is a worry and JeffR1 whom really cares about MPG but even with a 245 it is not that wide to make a real noticeable difference for MPH reductions; the Jaguar cannot really fit a 10" to 13" rim unless you put some crazy flares and only when you that wide will those issues really amount to much
?

Old 06-29-2018, 09:52 PM

Interesting bit about Ian Callum being the original designer of the MK11 nearly spilt my coffee on that one

Last edited by Robman25; 06-30-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robman25
Interesting bit about Ian McCullum being the original designer of the MK11 nearly spilt my coffee on that one
Yep, even the originator of the Jaguar MK2 shares the desire to improve on the old MK2 and make it a modern restomod creation keeping the cool roots of the original but making it better... It is funny that so many Jaguar owners purist against anything deviating from keeping it stock and the designer of the Jaguars they love wants to make it custom and improve on it and make a restomod...

Old 06-30-2018, 02:49 AM

Primaz, my point was that Ian Callum would have just been out of nappies (sorry diapers) when the original MK11 came out.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Callum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Callum

Last edited by Robman25; 06-30-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 AM
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Robman25
Primaz, my point was that Ian Callum would have just been out of nappies (sorry diapers) when the original MK11 came out.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Callum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Callum
Maybe he was on Work experience and they let him design it... ;-P

The following users liked this post:
JeffR1 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting facts on Ian, while he did not design the original MK2, both his restomod MK2 and all of the changes he did to the entire Jaguar line is why Jaguar is now more popular and more in the higher end luxury and luxury sport class again. Now that Jaguar is more popular and more on the expensive side of the market the brand is much more elevated again; it also has helped our older cars increase in value. While some of the Jaguar owners could not afford the many models are $100K+ most of the older Jaguars have had better resale value now since you really cannot buy a Jaguar now without being close to if not more than $75K to 100K+

In 1999, on the death of Geoff Lawson, Callum was appointed to succeed him at Jaguar, which was a Ford Motor Company subsidiary at the time (now a subsidiary of Tata Group). For a short stint, Callum directed design at both Jaguar and Aston Martin and was responsible for the majority of the DB9 and Vantage, both of which are attributed to Henrik Fisker.[6] At Jaguar, since the Lawson designed 2001 X-Type and 2002 XJ were well advanced his influence was initially felt through a series of concepts, the 2001 R-Coupe and 2003 R-D6. The first production Jaguar to bear his influence was the 2004 facelift of the S-Type followed by the 2004 X-Type Estate, of which he oversaw for the tailgate design.

With the next generation of Jaguar models Callum took Jaguar away from the Lawson-era retroism, which produced the more traditional-looking X-Type, S-Type, and XJ, towards a new style. This began with the 2006 XK, which bears striking similarity to the Aston Martin DB9, which Callum describes as being a result of modern safety legislation.[4] This new direction continued with the 2008 XF as previewed by the concept C-XF, which Callum describes as the 'next significant step forward' in Jaguar's design direction,[7] and the 2010 XJ.[8] He also oversaw the design for the 2010 C-X75 concept car,[9] the 2012 refresh of the Jaguar XF and introduction of Sportbrake, the 2013 F-Type, the 2015 Jaguar XE, 2015 second generation Jaguar XF (the first Callum-led design to replace another Callum-led design), the 2016 Jaguar F-Pace, and the 2018 Jaguar I-Pace.

According to Callum, ‘Jaguars should be perceived as cool cars and cool cars attract interesting, edgy people.’[10] The quality of Callum's work at Jaguar has been acknowledged by twice Le Mans 24 hours winner and fellow Dumfries native, Allan McNish.[11]

Last edited by primaz; 06-30-2018 at 03:26 PM.