MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Daimler V8 250 Auto - Fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daimler V8 250 Auto - Fluid leak

I'm a newcomer to this forum, and have been entrusted to take custody of a family heirloom 1967 Daimler , 97,000 miles on the clock which is in reasonable nick, having been garaged for the last 25 years with only an occasional trip to a show. My immediate priority is to address a significant gearbox fluid leak, which seems to have drained from somewhere towards the front of the box over a long period of time. After that, it will be some body work (boot, spats, door skins) which are now rusting through, and some interior improvements (carpets and seat covers/swabs).

So... is the fluid leak a 'feature' of this model, and could anyone suggest the best place to start? Many thanks in advance

Old 09-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

Bits of info doing a search, and assuming you have a BW35 box in the car ?

Oil seals are also known to leak after long periods standing, but these often reseal after a few thousand miles of regular use. Another cause of leaks is fluid draining back from the torque converter after periods standing. Again, regular use is the answer.

also look at this

Auto Gearbox leak [Archive] - Stag Owners Club Forum

seems like common problem, others may help too with better experience of the auto box

Old 09-27-2017, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks, yes, it's a BW box. The thread from the Stag forum has given me some excellent food for thought, and so I'll have a good look underneath at the weekend.
- Nigel

Old 09-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

Great, have fun on the workshop floor