MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Dynamo to Alternator Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dynamo to Alternator Advice Please

Hi, I have a 1961 Mk2 3.8 Auto fitted with a Lucas c45 dynamo with power steering pump on the back of it, As I am doing a nut and bolt restoration I want to fit an alternator that looks like a dynamo. There are company's that do this however I can only find a Lucas c42 with the power steering pump and can't find anyone who does the same for the c45.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does it or could the c42 be fitted although different dimensions but the same output?

Thanks
Malky

Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Malky,

The difference between an alternator and a dynamo is primarily that the voltage regulation is done on the back of the alternator, whereas the voltage regulator for the dynamo is, in the case of the Mk2, fitted to the under bonnet side of one of the front wheel arches.

Alternators and dynamos generate their current in the same way, so no advantages either way.

This separate voltage regulator for the dynamo system (RB340 on the later Mk2's but I don't know if it is the same on earlier ones), is mechanical unlike the electrical circuit on the back of any given alternator.

This is why dynamo systems don't charge at idle as the current being generated is barely enough to power the mechanical regulator.

Being fully electrical, the alternator system does not require much power and so charges the system at idle.

It is possible to convert the mechanical system to an electrical one which sits neatly inside the existing housing of the voltage regulator housing.

I made this change to my one from a guy in UK and have not looked back.

System charges at idle just like an alternator.

Head lights are much stronger at lower revs just like an alternator.

Voltage regulator box sits in the same place and no one knows that its' guts aren't original.

All existing wiring is exactly the same.

By the time you source an alternator that looks OK, modify mounts, re wire, etc and have an old dynamo which you can't use, the bills do add up.

For the same or less, you can get the existing system up to scratch doing the above.

Some food for though.

Cheers,

Nigel

The following users liked this post:
littlelic69 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Have you got a contact for the guy in the UK Nigel? I would be interested in this for an old Morris I am restoring. I had always thought that the nature of dynamo was that output drops severely at low revs and a regulator outboard of that really wouldnt change anything as it would have nothing to work with. If that's not the case I would be interested in that solution.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:48 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Steve,

Classic Car and Motorcycle dynamo rebuilding and Electronic Dynamo Regulators

When I did this, my generator had packed up (that is why I did some research at the time into this), so had it very professionally re bushed and re wound by Heckrath Engineering in Moorabbin (These guys used to prep Brockies race cars)

Cheers,

Nigel

PS I seem to keep getting family commitments in the way of your car runs like Nov 8. One day...

The following 2 users liked this post by Jag-o-nomic:
csbush (11-17-2015), yarpos (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Retro-Air in Texas sells a 70-amp dynamo-to-alternator conversion with the power steering connection for the MK-2 and S type.
contact Rock Browning (the owner) with any questions.

http://www.retroair.com/jaguaraircon...natorkits.html

the matter of the alternators that are designed to "look" like a dynamo was discussed in the S type register not long ago, with opinions from owners in the UK, Canada, and US. The conclusion was that these units get too hot and fail, very short service life, and they cannot produce more than 40 amps due to the size limitations.

Last edited by Jose; 11-17-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Nigel, Thanks for the info, I will look through the site you posted the link to and give them a call for options,

Here is what I was looking at but not for the Lucas C45 with PAS

Lucas Dynalites, more information. | Powerlite

Regards
Malky