MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Engine install advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 PM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Engine install advice

My MK2 is completely stripped. The engine is rebuilt and totally assembled. I want to install the engine without the transmission so that I can check fitting issues for my rack and pinion steering rack, new steering shaft and couplings, power steering reservoir and electric pump, air conditioning and etc. I will then pull the engine out to finish body work and paint before reinstalling the engine with the transmission attached.

My questions are these:
I assume that the rear stabilizer combined with the front motor mounts are sufficient to support the engine without the transmission and lower rear mount?

As I said, the engine is totally assembled with an alternator substituted at the dynamo location and the air conditioning compressor above it. Exhaust manifolds mounted but no pipes. Of course, on the other side of the engine I have the intake manifold, carbs, distributor, oil filter (spin on) mounted. I want to leave as much on the engine as possible when I do this trial fit. What do I have to remove from either side of the engine to drop just the engine and clutch into the engine bay from above?

Thanks for advice from folks who have actual experience with doing this.

Lin

Old 06-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Rear stabilizer is just that a stabilizer. will pull from firewall if suspended alone.

The following users liked this post:
MK2 (06-19-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 06:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Lin

Short answer is yes they are. I have had the engine and gearbox held in place by just the rear stabiliser. Although not recommended for prolonged periods it will hold. This is in fact a practice not uncommon at the Browns Lane factory back in the 60’s!

With regards to dropping in the engine from above I would be guessing as I have always lifted it from below to protect the wings etc… But I would Have thought that you would need to remove the carbs so you can angle the engine as you drop it in. Also if you have any spare towels etc… use them to protect the top of your wings.

Best of luck.
Rob

MK2 (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For what little it's worth I installed mine from above as the subframe was in place. The E's I always do from below.

Oh, and I do support the engine from the stabilizer cuz I'm a turd. I don't recommend it.

MK2 (08-30-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MK2
My MK2 is completely stripped. The engine is rebuilt and totally assembled. I want to install the engine without the transmission so that I can check fitting issues for my rack and pinion steering rack, new steering shaft and couplings, power steering reservoir and electric pump, air conditioning and etc. I will then pull the engine out to finish body work and paint before reinstalling the engine with the transmission attached.

My questions are these:
I assume that the rear stabilizer combined with the front motor mounts are sufficient to support the engine without the transmission and lower rear mount?

As I said, the engine is totally assembled with an alternator substituted at the dynamo location and the air conditioning compressor above it. Exhaust manifolds mounted but no pipes. Of course, on the other side of the engine I have the intake manifold, carbs, distributor, oil filter (spin on) mounted. I want to leave as much on the engine as possible when I do this trial fit. What do I have to remove from either side of the engine to drop just the engine and clutch into the engine bay from above?

Thanks for advice from folks who have actual experience with doing this.

Lin
Remove carbs, alternator and Ac compressor pretty much everything else can stay, you will have to wiggle a little around the engine mounts for the t-stat housing and distributor to clear. As far as leaving it i just finished transmission conversion from original to a T5 and i left it suspended for days just took a ratchet strap and hooked it from jack support hole on each side.

MK2 (11-21-2014)