MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seriously considered cutting the wings off and getting it out that way, but it seems a bit perverse. It's an early eight bar grille car and while it's too rusty for me to justify restoring someone else might want to do it. It would make life a lot easier though, and there are a couple of panels which might come in handy.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Robman25
DOH! Thinking about the XJ40 I had Sorry I will now go and commit Hari Kari.
As you say you have to lift the body quite a way, it always amazes me looking at a jag engine out of the engine bay how the hell it fits under that bonnet.

haha! Hari Kari hadn't heard that one before!!

Old 10-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieMark1
I've seriously considered cutting the wings off and getting it out that way, but it seems a bit perverse. It's an early eight bar grille car and while it's too rusty for me to justify restoring someone else might want to do it. It would make life a lot easier though, and there are a couple of panels which might come in handy.

Post some pics of the offending rust heap and you can get a gauge of opinion re cutting or possible rescue, or just other opinions about how best to get the engine out !

Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
haha! Hari Kari hadn't heard that one before!!
Probably bad taste, the art of suicide by falling on ones sword as practiced by the Japanese.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TilleyJon
Post some pics of the offending rust heap and you can get a gauge of opinion re cutting or possible rescue, or just other opinions about how best to get the engine out !
I'll take some photos this afternoon and post them. Overseas the car might be salvageable, but here in Australia there are plenty of cars nowhere near as rusty to restore. My other Mk1 has only one tiny bit of rust that needs to be repaired that I can see for instance.