MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Falling in lust with MK II's

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Falling in lust with MK II's

I find myself falling in lust with the Mk II's

I am a couple of years off buying one yet , as I need to pay out the XKR but when I do

I understand that the most desirable iteration is a 1966 , 3.8 l , manual with overdrive?

I have a question. Actually a couple for the MK II experts.

1. I would think that obviously, a genuine paint, low mileage, well sorted original car with full provenance represents the best example. No?
2. Given that I would probably hang onto it for the next 10-20 years, using it as a daily drive for a couple of years initially, is it worth also considering any of the following.

a/ a 3.4 manual all original vehicle
b/ a 3.4 or 3.8 that had been sympathetically and very well restored, retaining all its original features
c/ a 3.4 or 3.8 that had been made more user friendly , for example maybe air conditioning etc fitted.
d/ Forgive me but an auto? Would this aid in resale for someone who wanted a classic but can't drive a manual

Also consider that I have a garage to store it in and funds will NOT be unlimited ( have to work to a reasonable budget)

What say you

Pete

Old 04-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Well Pete, I have a 1966 3.8 Mk 2 (not Roman numeral, by the way) automatic, and I love it; I use it all year round. Excellent on the highway, very stable, lots of fun. The 1966 car is really not much different from the 61 and later cars so the model year is of less importance that the history and condition.
While the automatic is very convenient and works well in a 60's sort out way, the highway rpm is higher than desirable. I suppose I might prefer a manual for that reason but the fact is that most Jags supplied to Canada and the U.S. were automatics but the situation might be different in Australia.
Restoring these cars to a high standard can be costly ( I say this from experience and my car had only 16,000 miles on it when I bought it, 24,000 miles now) ; it is always better to buy a car that has been properly restored ( and beware the term "mint" - it means different things to vendor and buyer).
Your best economic bet might be a good "driver" quality car. The 3.8 is always the most desirable but the 3.4 is a fine engine.
The modernized Mk 2 with AC etc. usually costs a lot more than a very good original and while the "mod cons" sound good, they eliminate much of the fun factor! The only modern elements in my car are a Pertronix electronic ignition and an electronic SU fuel pump. These two things eliminate 95% of possible failures and they are invisible.

Last edited by sov211; 04-11-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:06 AM

Hi Gregory

Fancy that , a Victoria there and a Victoria here.

There must have been a Royal with that name

I wasn't sure about the Roman Numeral thing but thought " When in Rome..... " as this forum lists models with Roman numerals and an old , UK , Classic Car mag I have , has quite a few listed with Romans. No biggie. I am also a Land Rover nut , so Series 1, 2 or 3 vehicles can be SI, SII or SIII

Not that cars are a good investment( other than E types which have gone through the roof here over the last 5 years) but I think a 3.8 Manual with OD in English White with red leather trim could be a good stable $ car to get and hold for 10-20

I thought that in 1966 the manual boxes went to all synchro , including first and were a better gearbox . Not that it would stop me from buying any great Mark 2 with a good history .
My first car in 1980 was a a 1965 Holden, here in Oz , with no synchro in first.
There are quite a few manuals around.
One , very nice , fully restored one is coming up in an Auction near to me , soon.
I will do some research before it hits the market.
I hope it doesn't go too cheap, I'm not ready to buy!!
When you say ' Modernized Mk 2 with AC ' does that mean , it was a factory option or people fit them later. It wouldn't bother me if it didn't have it.
Pertronix electronic ignition and an electronic SU fuel pump sound like a great unintrusive upgrade.
Thanks for the reply

Pete

Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

buy an S type, the better MK-2.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 702 Likes on 507 Posts

Don't forget about British Racing Green and a Fawn interior.
As for aftermarket electronic fuel pump and ignition.
Keep the old ones handy when the putsy electronic after-market ones fails so you don't get stranded.

Last edited by JeffR1; 04-13-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

[QUOTE=peterg19;1441005]Hi Gregory

Fancy that , a Victoria there and a Victoria here.

When you say ' Modernized Mk 2 with AC ' does that mean , it was a factory option or people fit them later. It wouldn't bother me if it didn't have it.

Response: Canada and Australia have a lot in common; both have a "Jaguar Car Club of Victoria" for example....but Jaguars cost approximately twice as much in Oz as they do in Canada...

AC: Jaguar did not engineer a factory system for the Mk 2 (this is the way the trunk badge reads, by the way; Roman numerals were used only for the larger sedans) until very late but by about 1964 they did provide a depression in the inner left wing to allow room for a compressor. My car has its original dealer-fitted AC unit with York compressor. It blows very cold with a proper charge of R134a. My car is still positive earth and with its original generator. Very few original cars have the AC fitted - my car came from Winnipeg where the summers are very hot and humid, so AC was obviously desirable. I got it with a mere 16,000 miles on it, now close to 25,000. The single speaker radio plays a lot of Petula Clark and Rolling Stones' tunes. Fun!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:42 PM

Thanks Guys

The one coming up near me , for Auction has some issues.

1. Body , ID plate , gearbox and engine numbers don't match. ID , engine and gearbox may but the body number apparently not
2. The interior has been beautifully re trimmed but in the wrong leather!!
3. The price guide is $35-$40K Aus

I hope it doesn't go too cheap or I will be very cranky. I am not ready , just yet

Jose. Yep I heard the IRS is a wonderful thing but will they retain or increase in value. I reckon the Mk 2 ( see what I did there Gregory ) will be the best option to maintain or gain in value. That will be the subject of another post.

Jeff. BRG and fawn . Very good thought. Or even Red and fawn int

Gregory. I think we get the Canadian JCCV 'Island Growler ' magazine in E
copy through our club
Mmmm , tell me about the values. I might even start looking in the
UK as we have relos over there and we can now import older cars
and pay only a reasonable import duty

Old 04-14-2016, 03:10 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
buy an S type, the better MK-2.
The ugly bigger brother, they just don't have the lines that the MK2 have, the rear end doesn't work for me. IRS though is a desirable thing though.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:30 AM
Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

hey Pete,

Sorry to chip in so late, but I understand Linsday Fox, the trucking magnate has an "award winning" Mk 2, 3.8 OEW with red leather in his collection.

Make him an offer!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 PM

Hey Red

Built down the road from me , here in Moorabbin at Roddy's

I might get lucky.

Lindse might be struggling for a $

Maybe not!

Old 04-27-2016, 02:09 AM
Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes mate, I don't think the old fox is short of a quid!

Cheers.