MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

FEEDBACK needed for Mk2 electric power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FEEDBACK needed for Mk2 electric power steering

Hi all,
I ve just got back home my 240 '67
It took almost one year to put the car back on the road after quite a few years of standing still in the garage of the previous owner.
Car looks beautiful, runs really well and only a few details left to bring it closer to my standards.
Unfortunately the driving of the car is not something which enjoys me so much, due to the lack of power assistance on the steering wheel.
I mostly use the car around the town and this makes me feel so uncomfortable.
I do like the car so much, that I am thinking of spending some more money so to make it easier to be driven around the town.
I am afraid in getting involved into fitting a PAS from the earlier Mk2, thus I am thinking of going for an electric PAS conversion.
I would prefer a kit with detailed instructions which would be easy for a skilful engineer to fit it.
Any experience, ideas, feedback etc?
I would prefer to buy from UK, Germany, Nertherlands etc
Your suggestions would be highly appreciated here
Cheers,
Nassos

Old 12-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,152 Posts

People speak highly of these electric units from Holland. I have no personal experience.

Jaguar

Old 12-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The electric system looks by far the easiest to fit and no alterations are needed to the lower steering column, or to the steering box and links. What is not clear is whether they need your existing upper column to modify, or if their upper column is complete. In view of the amps needed to provide assistance, it is likely you would have to convert from dynamo to alternator.

The other thing to mention is that the 2.4 litre/240 cars never had power steering fitted even as an option. One reason is that the engine block is about 2" less in height, and there is therefore no room to fit the PCN pump on the back of the dynamo, indeed the exhaust manifolds likely also get in the way. I looked up the SNG Barratt price for a conversion kit to hydraulic assistance and it is over Ł3600. What the price is for the electric conversion is not stated on their website, but one hopes it is lower !

There is a page on their website giving some feedback from a German chap with a Mark 2 who has installed their kit.

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/38/277/Jaguar_MKII.html

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 12-25-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambretta
Hi all,
I ve just got back home my 240 '67
It took almost one year to put the car back on the road after quite a few years of standing still in the garage of the previous owner.
Car looks beautiful, runs really well and only a few details left to bring it closer to my standards.
Unfortunately the driving of the car is not something which enjoys me so much, due to the lack of power assistance on the steering wheel.
I mostly use the car around the town and this makes me feel so uncomfortable.
I do like the car so much, that I am thinking of spending some more money so to make it easier to be driven around the town.
I am afraid in getting involved into fitting a PAS from the earlier Mk2, thus I am thinking of going for an electric PAS conversion.
I would prefer a kit with detailed instructions which would be easy for a skilful engineer to fit it..
Any experience, ideas, feedback etc?
I would prefer to buy from UK, Germany, Nertherlands etc
Your suggestions would be highly appreciated here
Cheers,
Nassos
Hi Lambretta,
I have fitted a EPS to 64 saloon and it works very well.
The unit was purchased from EZ company in Holland. My car has auto trans and they supplied a complete column but I had to swap over the gear selector lever. I had excellent service from them. They supplied about 30 photos detailing the fitting process. I should point out it is necessary to cut section of the bulk head reinforcement panel to allow the electrical motor to be fitted. A good friend and my self were able to do the job ourselves.
Delivery to Australia only took 4 days.The unit comes with an adjustable control giving the amount of power assist. I set mine to half way and have not changed it. The EPS has been in my car about 3 years and has been faultless.
Hope this is of some help.
David Bruce Queensland Australia.