MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Fitting a modern stereo/sat nav to a MK II

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting a modern stereo/sat nav to a MK II

I'm getting close to starting to refit the interior of my Mk II and I'm considering changing the Blaupunkt radio for something more modern, as it doesn't even have FM radio. Of course I'd like to keep it looking like a classic car.

Here you can see the place of the radio and its single speaker above it.

I'm considering a number of options, but perhaps some of you have done something similar and can give me some more tips. I know my way around electronics so that shouldn't pose too big a problem.

Here are the options:
- Fit a RetroSound radio (Retrosound Classic Car Stereo :: Model Two :: Model Two Radio - Chrome Face & Ivory Push Buttons - Classic Car Stereo - Vintage and retro style car radios and speakers) -it should fit easily, look the part, and has USB and Bluetooth. Downside: not cheap (although still cheaper than some of the alternatives.) Still requires separate sat nav.
- Leave the original radio in place and fit this "hidden" amplifier (S-750 Hi-Fi Stereo Digital Amplifier w/ FM / SD / USB For Car Black Sale-Banggood.com) - I might even try taking it apart and using the control knobs from the Blaupunkt unit. That would mean taking apart the original radio (although I'm not sure it's factory fitted). Plus sides: cheap, retain original look. Downsides: no bluetooth, might be a pain to install. Still requires separate sat nav and hands free kit.
- Leave the original radio in place, remove the speaker that sits above it and mount some kind of sat nav/stereo behind the grille. This grille will then be made removable. If I can fit a 2din unit in there, this would mean an all-in-one unit (radio, sat nav, handsfree kit). Still not cheap but the price would be justified by not having a suction cup sat nav on the windshield. It wouldn't be in the best of places for visibility though.
- The Becker Mexico (Becker Mexico - Hi-Tech Retro | Classic Driver Magazine) is not an option, at around 1500€ it's about triple what I want to spend.

Any input or ideas are welcome...

Old 04-18-2015, 03:58 AM

Sorry, I can't find the "edit" function, I meant to add that I will be mounting a couple of speakers left and right so it wouldn't matter if the center speaker had to go I think. I'm still looking for other options for hiding more speakers. I'd love it to sound good but I don't want to ruin the interior.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts
Default This system looks factory but rocks!

Van,

Since the S-Type Forum cannot post pics on your thread due to memory limit right now I saw your post here and posted some pics.

What I recommend is to do what I did which is use a simple not expensive but good quality Alpine CD unit with Bluetooth, Pandora, Ipod, Aux input, HD Radio which can be had for about $300 US then couple it with a five channel Alpine amp which is also inexpensive. The spend most of the money on the speakers which is what I did. I went with Focal separates front and back and two 6" long thro JL Audio subs in the passenger firewall facing you. By facing the subs to your ears instead of from the rear, etc. the 6" will sound more like 10's. If your budget is limited just start off with the fronts only and add the rest later. Good rule of thumb is 80% of your costs should be speakers and more like 20% on head unit and amps to get best sound.

You can see from my pics that I retain the classic wood around the radio and it looks factory yet is better than any new car audio system. Then for navigation you can replace your factory rear view mirror with ones that have both navigation and rear view camera and mount a high quality license frame camera set up. The rear view mirror will be split in half for the screen to display your rearview camera and navigation. That way you have all the modern features yet keep the classic Jag interior looking like it came from the factory. Also all speakers are hidden from site completely using Porsche speaker carpet. That is one of the only carpets that allow full range sound to pass thru with no problems. My center council is stock other than the addition of two battery volt meters and the two cup holders.

Attached Thumbnails Fitting a modern stereo/sat nav to a MK II-dsc04770.jpg   Fitting a modern stereo/sat nav to a MK II-dsc04768.jpg   Fitting a modern stereo/sat nav to a MK II-dsc04769.jpg   Fitting a modern stereo/sat nav to a MK II-dsc02628.jpg  

Last edited by primaz; 04-18-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:24 AM

Thanks, I'm trying to keep more of an original look (so the super rear view mirror is not possible) but thanks for the tips about speakers. I'm considering Visaton speakers and an Eonon (not so well known brand) sat nav all-in-one unit. I'll keep you updated.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vanslycken
Thanks, I'm trying to keep more of an original look (so the super rear view mirror is not possible) but thanks for the tips about speakers. I'm considering Visaton speakers and an Eonon (not so well known brand) sat nav all-in-one unit. I'll keep you updated.

The issue with all in one units is not only price but the screen that comes out needs to be protruding out enough as the screen will only work and be usable if it can sit at a 90 degree position.

Remember for audio whatever you spend on the front end you should multiply that number by at least 1.75 to 1.80 so if you bump the head unit from a cheap $300 to say $600 the appropriate amount for speakers should be $1000 to 1200

Now I have not heard the Visaton speakers but looking at their specs and price I highly doubt these are good speakers. They are lie $20 to $50 speakers and look like poor quality. Remember DO NOT go cheap on speakers! The head unit of Eonon has a lot of negative reviews. To me stick with high quality but reasonable price brands for your head unit like Alpine or Sony and do not stray to off brands. As for speakers you need to hear them but you are NOT going to get decent sound from a speaker less than $350 dollars and use my recommendation of at least 1.75 or higher than your head unit. Too many people waste most of their money on a head unit and spend little on speakers and guess what it sucks.

I used to build and compete in car audio. I've built good systems that have won shows on sound quality that had inexpensive amps, quality brand head units but that brands lowest model that had pre-outs by putting way way more money into the speakers and overall spending huge amounts less than anyone yet the system had flat high quality sound in a very broad feq. response. I do not think you are looking at good choices for equipment.

Last edited by primaz; 04-19-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Listen yourself to brands like Focal, MB Quart, Hertz, and JL Audio then listen to other speakers and you will easily understand the difference in sound. You do not need to be an expert as the sound difference is clear and obvious. Good car audio speakers will cost money often at least $350 to $800 a pair in general with some even higher, that is why if you should spend most of the money on the speakers and not the electronics. You can hear speaker differences but electronic differences are more subtle. Most good speakers will produce their sound in a wide frequency range very flat but to do that they typically will need decent power to reproduce that quality so most need at least 40 watts to up to 100 watts per channel. Speakers that are very efficient will cost less but the sound quality sucks and the range is weak. You can get high power amps and not spend a lot.

Always stick to more mainstream brands. A good way for budget purposes is buy name brand electronics but buy the lowest model that has pre-amp outputs. Pre-amp outputs are needed to connect to separate power amps. The better head units do not have any power built in as that typically causes more distortion and the specs are affected. Instead of getting an off brand with loads of features, get a name brand with no frills, that will be better quality and will last. Speakers you just have to shell out the money there is no way around that. If you are looking at speakers like the Visaton with car audio speakers in the $9 to $50 price tag you are looking at junk compared to quality speakers. To get good sound spend 75% of your total budget on the speakers.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the replies Primaz, maybe I should explain that I'm not really looking for a sublime sounding system. If that were the case I'd wholly agree with you, and being in electronics myself (although not high-end audio) I've heard the difference between cheap speakers and, for instance, B&W speakers of 1400€ each (not even their most expensive ones).

The stereo (although I should say "mono") on the Mk2 is a 1960 car radio, so an old Blaupunkt MW receiver through a single speaker is the benchmark. I'm looking for a slight improvement in sound but especially an improvement in ease of use, FM reception, sat nav, bluetooth hands free kit. I don't mind if it sounds only as good as the standard stereo in a basic car.

The thing that has me worried most is the viewing angle of the screen, thanks for pointing that out.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I went for a new centre console from an XJ 40 but with a modern twist I have added a double din radio with Sat Nav and rear view camera. I have also gone for a sliding screen to allow for the screen to be more angled when you are driving.

I have not got picture of final installation but can show basic concept of centre console when I did a trial fit last year.

Attached Thumbnails Fitting a modern stereo/sat nav to a MK II-img_0229.jpg   Fitting a modern stereo/sat nav to a MK II-img_0224.jpg   Fitting a modern stereo/sat nav to a MK II-img_0241.jpg  
Old 04-21-2015, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vanslycken
Thanks for the replies Primaz, maybe I should explain that I'm not really looking for a sublime sounding system. If that were the case I'd wholly agree with you, and being in electronics myself (although not high-end audio) I've heard the difference between cheap speakers and, for instance, B&W speakers of 1400€ each (not even their most expensive ones).

The stereo (although I should say "mono") on the Mk2 is a 1960 car radio, so an old Blaupunkt MW receiver through a single speaker is the benchmark. I'm looking for a slight improvement in sound but especially an improvement in ease of use, FM reception, sat nav, bluetooth hands free kit. I don't mind if it sounds only as good as the standard stereo in a basic car.

The thing that has me worried most is the viewing angle of the screen, thanks for pointing that out.

If you want to not modify the radio mount I would still argue that sticking to my rule of thumb is a good idea. What I would do then is repair the Blaupunk or buy a used old school non DIN radio, then buy a two channel amp and something like Alpine, Boston or some other similar quality two way separates that come with separate crossovers. That system will sound pretty good and you would spend less than $500 total costs.

To get the modern blue tooth etc. you will need to most likely go with a DIN but I would go ultra cheap and still use the recommendations above and you should still be somewhere around $500 to $700

Then if you can spend a bit more than I would get a multi channel amp and add a sub. That is more important than more full range speakers as sound should come directly to your ears not bounce all around. The stock speaker spots often used in the MK and 3.8s in the council is one of the worst for sound quality and phase.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I put in a Retrosound Zuma last year because the old 70/80s Blaupunkt Amsterdam has a stuck search wheel, and it was making sparkling/crackling noises, but no "whining". The Zuma worked fine until I turned on the ignition. The same kind of noises appears, it turns out to be interference/disturbance from the electrical system generated by the running engine. I have tried two different noise suppressors/filters, but that does not fix the problem. Any suggestions for a quick & cheap fix?

Old 04-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by statfunk
I put in a Retrosound Zuma last year because the old 70/80s Blaupunkt Amsterdam has a stuck search wheel, and it was making sparkling/crackling noises, but no "whining". The Zuma worked fine until I turned on the ignition. The same kind of noises appears, it turns out to be interference/disturbance from the electrical system generated by the running engine. I have tried two different noise suppressors/filters, but that does not fix the problem. Any suggestions for a quick & cheap fix?

Most common issues of noise is the routing of power and ground. You should make sure all wiring for radio is good shielded wire, do NOT run the power near any factory power wiring try to rout is away, make sure you properly ground the radio and try changing ground locations, run signal wire to any amps away from power and ground wires. For grounding it should be chassis ground and the systems should be grounded at the same location not different places as that can cause grounding loops. Also power and ground wires should be of heavy gauge as those are better shielded. A good installed system rarely will have noise as most of this issues are due to poor quality wiring, wiring wire, routing of wire, and ground issues.

Last edited by primaz; 04-21-2015 at 03:47 PM.