MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

gas leakage from electric choke

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas leakage from electric choke

hi, I´ve got following problem: After switching on the ignition (and petrol pump) the gas leaks from air inlet of the choke and petrol pump still works in spite of the fact that engine does not run (it was not started). This fault appears time to time only. The fault appears when the choke solenoid is switch off even when it is switch on. Thank for an advice in advance.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me understand this. The pump still runs with the ignition off?
Pump runs all the time the ignition is on. The pressure built up will continue to cause petrol to leak for a short while after the ignition is turned off.
That is normal.
As delivered, there is no fuel pump kill with no oil pressure or ignition pulse signal.
MK2's are OLD technology!
The starting carb is fed from the adjacent carburettor float bowl. If it's leaking, usually the fault is in that carb, not the starting unit.
Sunk float, garbage in the needle and seat, loose seat, that kind of stuff.
Of course, my MK2 doesn't have a starting carb, so I cannot go look at it and give you step by step procedures!
Dave

Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 AM

Thank you for your reply. The pump runs with the ignition on only, as it should. But sometime it stops after filling in both float chambers (in the case that no petrol leaks from starting unit) and sometime it works on (to refill the petrol which leaks by the starting unit). The float in adjacent carburettor is O.K.
How do you start your Mkn II when it is cold without starting unit?
Regards,
Pepe

Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Let me understand this. The pump still runs with the ignition off?
Pump runs all the time the ignition is on. The pressure built up will continue to cause petrol to leak for a short while after the ignition is turned off.
That is normal.
As delivered, there is no fuel pump kill with no oil pressure or ignition pulse signal.
MK2's are OLD technology!
The starting carb is fed from the adjacent carburettor float bowl. If it's leaking, usually the fault is in that carb, not the starting unit.
Sunk float, garbage in the needle and seat, loose seat, that kind of stuff.
Of course, my MK2 doesn't have a starting carb, so I cannot go look at it and give you step by step procedures!
Dave
Thank you for your reply. The pump runs with the ignition on only, as it should. But sometime it stops after filling in both float chambers (in the case that no petrol leaks from starting unit) and sometime it works on (to refill the petrol which leaks by the starting unit). The float in adjacent carburettor is O.K.
How do you start your Mk II when it is cold without starting unit?
Regards,
Pepe

Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 AM

If you have the original style SU pump, they do shut off when pressure is reached.
One possibility here is that the pump is bad....and not shutting off when pressure is reached, continuing it's jolly jamming of petrol into the pipe, possibly overcoming the needle and seat.
Are you then only seeing the starting carburettor leaking when the petrol pump does not shut off?
Dave

Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 AM

double post

Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,845 Posts

The Otter Switch (Coolant Temperature Sensor mounted in the upper coolant hose aluminum elbow) tells the Auxiliary Carb to fire away when engine is cold!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM

The otter switch is not involved. He stated same issue whether switch on or off, which looks like and override switch has been installed (common). Fuel leaking out of the starting carb is usually traced to the adjacent main carb, as the fuel level in the starting carb is set by that main carb.
Dave

Old 07-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

Dave,
how are you doing pal? you know....still have the a/c packed away, The F150 Panel was sold to a hot rodder before I could get the $ together.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Ah, HA! Had I known it was you, I'd have probably called! Look for leaks in starting carbs from the adjacent carb.....if that one is leaking past the needle (crXp in the seat or sunk float) it shows up on the starting carb.
Fortunately, 2.4L with twin Solex downdraughts don't have starting carbs!
Dave

Still driving the beastie. Some day we'll get it painted.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Dave I moved, different number! don't paint the MK-2, that's the nicest color I've seen!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Repaint....same colour. TOO much paint.....two layers of Sherwood Green with associated primers, then Lacquer. Gonna take it down one panel at a time, smooth, prime, one coat of more modern paint, until it's all ready, then shoot it all again.
If the clowns in DC don't outlaw old cars.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Repaint....same colour. TOO much paint.....two layers of Sherwood Green with associated primers, then Lacquer. Gonna take it down one panel at a time, smooth, prime, one coat of more modern paint, until it's all ready, then shoot it all again.
If the clowns in DC don't outlaw old cars.
great color, wonder what the original color was but who cares, whoever picked that colr did a great job. If those clowns try to outlaw classic cars, vote them out or move away from DC.