MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Installing Rack and Pinion steering but with no power assist?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 06:07 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Installing Rack and Pinion steering but with no power assist?

We have a 1960 MK2 that was originally a 2.4, but now has a 3.8 installed. But it still has the original manual steering box with the many turns lock to lock. Of course also a struggle to use in tight spaces.

We have been reading a lot on the various options to get more precise and easier steering. But we have not found anyone who has installed a rack and pinion (R&P) steering system but with no power assist. Is this even feasible? I suspect the forces would be the limiting factor on such a large car.

We want to upgrade the steering, but we also want to install A/C living in Florida, and that is going in first.. So there is not going to be a lot of room for any pump, be it electric or off the back of an alternator upgraded unit.

So is there a manual R&P system that can be installed that will actually work?

We do know there are options to retain the original type steering system with close ratio manual boxes. ICS in England can rebuild my box or supply a kit. But we understand they do not have any hardware currently available to do so.

Also apparently Jaguar did offer factory close ratio boxes for both the MK1 and MK2. But it seems having less turns lock to lock will require even more effort to steer. Yes more precise, but at what cost.

We would consider that solution if we can get feedback from owners who have a close ratio manual box. So is there anyone out there who has a close ratio manual box on their MK2? If so please provide your experience with it.

Thanks
jjsandsms

Old 03-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I saw a Mk2 with rack and pinion and no power a few decades ago. It used a Jaguar rack. I think it was a power rack without the PAS system - though non PAS racks were an option on the series 1 XJ6. I tried it only over a few metres in back yard. I could turn the wheel when the car was rolling slowly. I can't make a definite statement of the weight Vs non-power recirculating ball as it's a long time ago and I didn't drive the car or park it.

The non-power XJ racks (if they can be found) were a few more turns lock to lock, probably 3.5, and might be an option.

Finally, there's all the Ackermann and bump steer discussion that you can read all about and it's probably better not to restart here.

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (03-09-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:32 AM

Interesting about XJ6 with manual rack! Might have to sniff this out a bit.

With regard to the factory options for a close ratio box on MK2 I found this

Stock manual box for LHD which I assume I have part number C.14846 (SF.415) (Ratio 20.3:1)

Special order C.8928 (SF.212) (Ratio 17.6:1)

A second special option C.12213 (Ratio 15.7:1)

So really wondering if one can find one of these, would they be a bolt in? And at the end of the day would it really be worth it with still having to strong arm to turn the wheel in tight spaces???

But I like the idea of less turns......So anyone have one of these close ratio boxes for sale?

Also I was told that one of these optional boxes for the MK2 was standard for the MK1. Any confirmation?

Thanks
jjsandsms

Old 03-08-2024, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

The Mk1 had a better ratio box. I expect it would be difficult to find any original high ratio box. As I've mentioned before, ICS in Birmingham produce them at a cost and they aren't always available. And any high ratio box will for sure require more effort than your existing one.

If it were me, I'd be trying to find the best way to add PAS without intruding on the space required for the A/C. And I'd look to the 'straightforward' route of Varamatic with an electric pump.

Old 03-08-2024, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peter3442
The Mk1 had a better ratio box. I expect it would be difficult to find any original high ratio box. As I've mentioned before, ICS in Birmingham produce them at a cost and they aren't always available. And any high ratio box will for sure require more effort than your existing one.

If it were me, I'd be trying to find the best way to add PAS without intruding on the space required for the A/C. And I'd look to the 'straightforward' route of Varamatic with an electric pump.
I know there are kits which include a R&P and electric pump whcih are very pricey. Can I source a compatible electric pump and try and find a used Varamatic box and piece it together? Where would I begin to find the correct used box and pump?

We of course will be upgrading to an alternator which will have to have quite an output to run the PS pump and AC stuff. If we could source a good used Varamatic pump, could another path be to get one of the alternator conversions that could drive on the back output shaft a stock used PS pump as an alternative to an electric pump? Again those units alternators are also expensive.

Thanks
jjsandsms

Old 03-08-2024, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

I mentioned an electric pump as there's not much space around the front of the engine in a Mk2 with an alternator, A/C compressor, etc. There are quite a few cars with electric steering pumps, Volvo, GM, Fiat. It should be possible to try something out with secondhand parts. For the Varamatic box, I bought a complete subframe from a 420. It seemed easier as it saved some cutting and welding and came with the correct tie rods and idler.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,200 Likes on 2,108 Posts

The idea of the electric is the assist is only on when you need it. That means you need a vehicle speed sensor and control system, so that adds complexity. Myself and another friend who is an electrical engineer looked at doing it with junkyard parts and we couldn't get it to work. We even bought a few electric pumps and couldn't get them to do anything. They all need a data line feed to tell them when to turn on and by how much, without that data feed from an ECU they are a door stop.

I would either go the PAS pump on the back of the alternator ( I made a system to do that) or do like a 420 has and use separate pump and alternator with custom brackets. The 4.2 block has more bosses to bolt brackets to, it's more of a challenge with a 3.4 or 3.8. You'll have to do some fabrication.

Series 1 and 2 E Types have manual racks, but that may be heavy at slow speed. The other thing I would be concerned about using a power rack with no power is lubrication. The power racks are designed to have the fluid circulating for lubrication, I don't know how long they woudl last without that.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

JB, The early GM Astra and some of the Volvo work without a data line. The Wilkinson PAS racks use old Astra electric pumps. They will not be speed sensitive, but engine driven ones aren't either.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,200 Likes on 2,108 Posts

I wasn't aware of those. We didn't get Astra's on this side of the Atlantic, so I can't access wiring diagrams for them from my usual sources.

Old 03-08-2024, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

They're all TRW pumps. If it's possible to find the TRW part number for the one fitted to the Astra G, it should be possible to get one. They can be quite cheap from a salvage yard.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:25 PM
Received 323 Likes on 209 Posts

The Astra pump is also shared with the Zafira, its easy to wire up, I have one on my 2.4 MK2 . I've attached the instructions that might be helpful.

If space is a problem I think you could probably put it under the front wing behind the headlights on the other side to the vacuum reservoir as its not very big, only downside of this will be topping it up but thats probably not going to be a regular occurance.

Attached Files
Glyn M Ruck (03-13-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,152 Posts

The Astra (Opel or Vauxhall) pump works well & can be installed in the front wheel arch.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a rack and pinion XJ6 in my MK1.
I Disconnected all the Hydraulics, and installed a electric powersteering column from a Opel Corsa.
Steering is great, direct and I can adjust the the steering afford.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jaguar38s
I Disconnected all the Hydraulics, and installed a electric powersteering column from a Opel Corsa.
Very interesting, what year/series rack and pinion from XJ6 and what year Opal Corsa? We are not familiar with Opal cars here in US.

So for me to understand, The R&P unit is 100% manual and the power assist is a electric with the electric unit under the dash?

So how much different is a MK1 front end v. a MK2?

Thanks
jjsandsms

Old 03-12-2024, 04:03 PM
Received 323 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguar38s
How do you keep the rack lubricated? Do you just fill it with oil and join the two hoses together?

Old 03-12-2024, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

It may be that I'm an engineer with old fashioned ideas, but adding electric assistance at the steering column is putting extra load on components that they weren't designed to carry. I don't think they'll necessarily fail, but may well wear a lot faster. The good aspect of PAS racks and Varamatic boxes is that the assistance is applied as late in the control chain as possible. If I were involved in some state inspection authority, it's something that would concern me more than the odd extra hole in a bulkhead.

Last edited by Peter3442; 03-12-2024 at 05:02 PM.
Glyn M Ruck (03-13-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Peter3442
It may be that I'm an engineer with old fashioned ideas, but adding electric assistance at the steering column is putting extra load on components that they weren't designed to carry. I don't think they'll necessarily fail, but may well wear a lot faster. The good aspect of PAS racks and Varamatic boxes is that the assistance is applied as late in the control chain as possible. If I were involved in some state inspection authority, it's something that would concern me more than the odd extra hole in a bulkhead.
I too have some concerns with just adding the electric column power assist and I am (was) not an engineer but a physicist. Seems like its a band-aid solution to a broader issue. Yes I can understand the potential added stresses to the components down stream so to speak.

But having offered my opinion, I suppose I could go that route and actually keep my current manual box, and maybe even try to find a quick ratio box or get the ICS mod. And other posts and threads on the under dash electric assist seems to say it does work ok. As i mentioned in my initial post, we want to add A/C (first!) which mean alternator upgrade and the electric assists or pumps mean even bigger alternators. So decisions.

I did call a local shop that has tons of Jaguar parts of since the 50's but they do not have a 420 front end, or any other stuff that might help. They do have a XJ6 series 3 rank and pinion but they want too much for it and its still on the parts car.

Thanks
jjsandsms

Glyn M Ruck (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 03:35 AM

The rack is greased now, no oil anymore.
And the left and right hose connections needs te be connected.

Old 03-13-2024, 03:44 AM

My MK1 has a MK2 front beam.
There was a XJ6 S3 Adwest steering rack when I purchased the car.
This is a Opel Corsa C steering column, you can get controllers online for these.
https://www.servtronic.com/collections/corsa-b-c

Old 03-13-2024, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Varamatic option.

Quick Reply: Installing Rack and Pinion steering but with no power assist?