MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

IRS Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default IRS Question

Hi Everyone,

Could anyone give me some pointers on how to identify the rear driveshafts and lower arms for an old S type Jag please.

As far as I know these are shorter than the shafts and arms on a series 3 XJ.

I know this wont be everyone's cup of tea but im trying to fit some shorter shafts and arms on my 1984 XJ6 to reduce my overall hub to hub distance so that I can then fit some 9" or preferably 10" wheels which would then have a deep dish.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Old 02-28-2016, 08:00 AM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

Darren, your best bet might be to narrow your existing S3 XJ6 suspension. The process is nicely covered in irsforum.boardhost.com (sorry - don't know how to attach a link here) - it's simply a matter of cutting and sleeving the lower control arms and half shafts, which any competent machine shop can do. The nice thing about this approach is that you can select the exact wheel offset you want and then match the suspension to fit. Good luck with the project.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:39 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks Doug, been having a think about this over the weekend and I much prefer this idea. I think im going to buy a complete rear end, modify and refurbish it and then do a swap over.

Is the XJS set up the same as the XJ6 set up ?