MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jag Mk1 and Daimler 250 fuel pump and starter motor help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 08:05 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Jag Mk1 and Daimler 250 fuel pump and starter motor help please.

Hi all, first time venturing into the serious models part of the forum so please be kind!

My father died 2 years ago leaving his treasured Jag collection, the oldest two being a 1958 MK1 3.4 and a 1962 Daimler 250 V8. Sadly neither will start but we think both were running in the years up to his death.

I’ve managed to find a great old timer mobile mechanic who after playing around thinks the Jag’s fuel pump seal has gone. Fuel is coming out of it on the left side of the boot and likely not providing enough pressure. Can anyone advise if I can get the gasket alone or whether she’ll need a full reconditioning or a new pump altogether please?

The Daimler apparently has a bad starter motor, I’m guessing this means a full replacement? Does anyone know where I would pick one up from please? Battery power is fine but nothing is heard when trying to start her except for the fuel pump priming.

The jag is a manual and the Daimler an auto if that has any bearing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 12-21-2023, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

The starter motor can be rebuilt by a competent shop. I would replace the fuel pumps with SU, Hardi or Facet type pumps. I have a preference for Hardi as used by Porsche pre EFI. The Hardi pump is direct fit. No mods required. Makes the right noise etc. These are low pressure pumps by design.

You can buy spares for SU Fuel Pumps from Burlen ~ not cheap.
https://burlen.co.uk/

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-21-2023 at 12:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Glyn M Ruck:
KILOCHARLIE (01-06-2024), S-Type Owner (01-30-2024)
Old 12-21-2023, 04:16 PM
Received 323 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by KILOCHARLIE
Hi all, first time venturing into the serious models part of the forum so please be kind!

My father died 2 years ago leaving his treasured Jag collection, the oldest two being a 1958 MK1 3.4 and a 1962 Daimler 250 V8. Sadly neither will start but we think both were running in the years up to his death.

I’ve managed to find a great old timer mobile mechanic who after playing around thinks the Jag’s fuel pump seal has gone. Fuel is coming out of it on the left side of the boot and likely not providing enough pressure. Can anyone advise if I can get the gasket alone or whether she’ll need a full reconditioning or a new pump altogether please?

The Daimler apparently has a bad starter motor, I’m guessing this means a full replacement? Does anyone know where I would pick one up from please? Battery power is fine but nothing is heard when trying to start her except for the fuel pump priming.

The jag is a manual and the Daimler an auto if that has any bearing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
If nothing is heard when trying to start the Daimler does that mean that not even the solenoid for the starter motor is clicking? If not then I would start there, probably by shorting it across with a metal bar to see if that brings the starter into life. In my experience the old lucas starters tend to be very robust and if it worked when parked it won't need a lot to bring it back into life.

The following 2 users liked this post by Homersimpson:
Glyn M Ruck (12-21-2023), KILOCHARLIE (01-06-2024)
Old 12-21-2023, 06:57 PM
Received 1,096 Likes on 645 Posts

In the Daimler there is a start inhibitor switch which will not allow the starter to engage except when P (park) or N (neutral) are selected. That switch can be out of adjustment or miswired.
I suggest using a heavy jumper lead direct to the starter and flashing it to the live side of the battery to ascertain if it is a starter problem or somewhere in the switching.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Mac:
Glyn M Ruck (12-21-2023), KILOCHARLIE (01-06-2024), Schmitty (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 02:59 AM

Thanks for these replies. My mechanic is going to attempt the starter motor jump on the Daimler next week.

As for the leaky fuel pump on the Mk1. I’ve had a look and it seems to be an SU unit already. I’m unsure if this is the original unit supplied with the car or if it’s been replaced with it at some point. It seems to be pumping fuel fine apart from the gaskets have given out making it leak. Are these available to purchase at all please? Or could someone point me in the right direction? I would guess it’s better to try and replace the gaskets before swapping the whole thing out. Thanks

Old 01-11-2024, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 525 Posts

Glyn has pointed you in the right direction on post #2, or you can go to Burlen and get the parts to rebuild your old one.
The thing is leaking because the pumps' diaphragm is dried out, and possibly cracked.
It's not just a gasket, if you click on the link for Burlen and you can find your model and see an exploded diagram.

The following 2 users liked this post by JeffR1:
Glyn M Ruck (01-11-2024), KILOCHARLIE (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 03:15 AM

Sorry Glyn, yes I totally overlooked the last part! Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve just spoken to Burlen and Paul there was very helpful. I’ve sent him pictures of the fuel pump as it looks different to the ones on their website to what is listed as coming with the car (Aua 152), but hopefully he can help. At least I can price up a refurb vs a replacement then.

The leak itself seems to be coming from where the filter is attached. Would it be worth trying a new filter to start with just in case it’s the seal there? Or is it certain to be the diaphragm please? The car was apparently running fine just two years ago.

Thanks both

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 03:31 AM

Sorry, ignore the above, I assumed the filter was the whole rusty/black right hand part of the unit, apparently that’s the coil housing so it won’t be a simple case of replacing that.

Burlen do an overhaul kit for Ł56 or a replacement for Ł144. It would be nice to keep everything as original as possible but I think glyn is correct and Hardi is the way to go at half the price. Thanks again all

The following 2 users liked this post by KILOCHARLIE:
Glyn M Ruck (01-11-2024), Schmitty (01-30-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

I have 2 of them in my S Type (dual tanks) & you can't see them when the cover board/boards are in place. Hardi pumps enjoy legendary reliability.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:56 PM

While you are at the fuel pump do check the inlet and outlet hoses.
I have seen the inlet hose (that is the one on the left in your photo) decayed and sucking air. Poor old pump panting madly trying to lift fuel from the tank.
If the outlet hose is decayed it will leak which will be obvious.

Glyn M Ruck (01-13-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 01:40 PM

Hi again all, hardi pump arrived but not fitted yet. My mechanic tried jumping the 250 v8 starter motor directly as described above but sadly no life in here.

I know previously stated that any competent shop could rebuild her. The two I asked declined to, stating to just buy a new one.

Does anyone know where I could source one please? Seems to be plenty of different types on Google. Many thanks for any advice.

With a new starter motor and the pump fitted to the mk1 I’m looking forward to seeing if they’ll fire up!

Old 01-29-2024, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 746 Posts

Hi again all, hardi pump arrived but not fitted yet. My mechanic tried jumping the 250 v8 starter motor directly as described above but sadly no life in here.

I know previously stated that any competent shop could rebuild her. The two I asked declined to, stating to just buy a new one.

Does anyone know where I could source one please? Seems to be plenty of different types on Google. Many thanks for any advice.

With a new starter motor and the pump fitted to the mk1 I’m looking forward to seeing if they’ll fire up!
SNG Barrett are always good but the starters are expensive. If you are going for new I would choose a high torque modern starter rather than replacing like for like. That said is the V8 an auto? If you can post a picture of the starter I will compare it with the old one from my car which I had rebuilt and then replaced it 3 months later with a high torque version. The old one is sat in a box in the garage and if it is the correct one for your car I can sell it to you. Post a picture and count the teeth on the cog.
This is my old one which is from a 3.4s type with the BW35 auto gear box.

Old 01-29-2024, 04:56 PM
Received 323 Likes on 209 Posts

On the back of the starter motor should be a square drive (sometimes under a metal cap that you need to remove), you should be able to put a spanner on this and turn it and that might bring the starter back to life.

Its a slim chance but as its usually easy to do its worth trying, if not take the motor off and have a look at it on the bench, they aren't that complicated and its unusal for one to not turn at all so it might be something simple.

Peter3442 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 07:44 PM

I've had a fair bit of time in refurbishing and repairing starter motors in cars and aeroplanes.
A high percentage of the time when failing to operate it is simply worn-out brushes and dirty commutators.
Any competent auto electric shop should be able to clean a commutator and fit new brushes.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then think seriously about fitting a late model hi-torque starter.
A complete rebuild/rewind of an old starter would be very expensive even if you found someone who could do it.

The following 5 users liked this post by Bill Mac:
Cass3958 (01-30-2024), Glyn M Ruck (01-30-2024), Peter3442 (01-30-2024), S-Type Owner (01-30-2024), Schmitty (01-30-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cass3958
SNG Barrett are always good but the starters are expensive. If you are going for new I would choose a high torque modern starter rather than replacing like for like. That said is the V8 an auto? If you can post a picture of the starter I will compare it with the old one from my car which I had rebuilt and then replaced it 3 months later with a high torque version. The old one is sat in a box in the garage and if it is the correct one for your car I can sell it to you. Post a picture and count the teeth on the cog.
This is my old one which is from a 3.4s type with the BW35 auto gear box.
many thanks and apologies for the delay in replying, I only managed to get it removed yesterday…

Old 05-10-2024, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Homersimpson
On the back of the starter motor should be a square drive (sometimes under a metal cap that you need to remove), you should be able to put a spanner on this and turn it and that might bring the starter back to life.

Its a slim chance but as its usually easy to do its worth trying, if not take the motor off and have a look at it on the bench, they aren't that complicated and its unusal for one to not turn at all so it might be something simple.
thanks for the advice. Is this the cover that needs removing please?

Old 05-10-2024, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
I've had a fair bit of time in refurbishing and repairing starter motors in cars and aeroplanes.
A high percentage of the time when failing to operate it is simply worn-out brushes and dirty commutators.
Any competent auto electric shop should be able to clean a commutator and fit new brushes.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then think seriously about fitting a late model hi-torque starter.
A complete rebuild/rewind of an old starter would be very expensive even if you found someone who could do it.
thanks for the reply. I’ll try my local auto electric place. Failing that, which “late model hi-torque starter” would be suitable please?

Old 05-10-2024, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 746 Posts

Not the same starter as in my S Type. If you don't know which starter you require try phoning SNG they are pretty helpful over the phone and should point you in the right direction.

Glyn M Ruck (05-11-2024)