MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jaguar 420 1966 Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,453 Likes on 1,125 Posts

We had already polished the stainless steel outside covers with the key holes in them to as new.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,099 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyKat
Hello all,
I have question related to the car key. There are no keys to the car since this was a left behind in an underground parking lot.
Any ideas how you can make a set of keys? Or would you have to replace all the lock cylinders somehow?

Jimmy
Sorry for the delay in getting to this Glyn but I was away on holiday.

Jimmy

On the S Type and I would assume the 420 is the same the ignition key is the same as the door key which is the same as the glove box key but the boot key is different again. Two keys for the whole car. The keys are known as FS keys and have numbers stamped on the key as in FS597 and this number is stamped on the barrel of the relevant lock. Getting to the number on the barrel is not hard but involves taking the locks to pieces to find them. Once you have the number of the lock there are several companies that supply replacement keys to match the number. In the past I have used this company in the UK and can highly recommend them. https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/un...EaAqiaEALw_wcB
I had/have several spare locks which had no keys so could not be sold but I found the FS numbers and had two keys for each lock made. £3.95 per key I think they charge and the service is really good as the keys arrived within three days.

So to find the FS Numbers, below I have added some photos of the barrels to show the FS codes. Actually stripping the lock barrels out is very easy with common sense so I will not go into how you do that as it would take too long. The photos do show where some of the hidden pins are though to remove the barrels.
Rather than removing the ignition barrel or door lock barrels which both involve a lot of work if you strip the glove box lock down first and find the FS Number for that, order the FS Key to fit and then try it in the door lock and ignition. It should work but if for some reason it has been changed you would then need to strip the ignition barrel and door lock out to find the correct FS code for the door locks.
At the end I have attached a photo of a set of original keys showing the FS Numbers. Note that the key on the bottom (the larger one ) is for the doors, glove box and ignition. The key on the top (the smaller one) is for the boot lock.

Door barrel showing FS Number

Boot lock showing locating lock pin on the boot lock

Lock pin removed showing FS Number on boot lock barrel

Ignition switch showing hole into which you have to press a sprung pin to remove barrel.

Ignition barrel showing FS number

Glove box lock showing the FS Number.

Original key designs with FS Numbers

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

You are allowed to have a holiday Rob. Thanks for the great input & pics.

Cass3958 (02-13-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 08:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello to all of you,
Finally got the Jaguar 420 1966 project car to my home and started freshening her up!
Mildew smell, just lovely!
So can anyone tell me in order to get at the door and boot cylinder locks, is there a simple way, or does the entire inside of the door panel have to be removed etc. Mostly interested in the door lock key cylinder.

The ignition had already been removed, so I have the code for it. Also does the glove box have its own key or does it share it with the boot?
I guess I should ask if the ignition key is the same as the door key, if so I would not have to take anything apart on the door?!?

Old 06-25-2024, 09:34 AM
Received 201 Likes on 119 Posts

my '67 mk2 needs two keys. one for the ignition and a different one for the glovebox. i know that for sure....i dont't know if the barrels are original or not. the head of the ignition key is a wide rectangle, but the one for the glovebox is circular.

one of those keys also opens the door locks (the ignition key i think) and the other one opens the trunk lock. i know that for sure too! i keep the trunk lid unlocked and the glove box key in the glovebox at all times because its door won't stay closed when unlocked.

The following 3 users liked this post by hueyhoolihan:
Glyn M Ruck (06-26-2024), JimmyKat (06-25-2024), Peter3442 (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 12:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the information. Please note that I should have reread the info above from Cass3958, as it is clearly explained, before requesting help.

Thanks again
Jimmy

Old 06-25-2024, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cass3958
Sorry for the delay in getting to this Glyn but I was away on holiday.

Jimmy

On the S Type and I would assume the 420 is the same the ignition key is the same as the door key which is the same as the glove box key but the boot key is different again. Two keys for the whole car. The keys are known as FS keys and have numbers stamped on the key as in FS597 and this number is stamped on the barrel of the relevant lock. Getting to the number on the barrel is not hard but involves taking the locks to pieces to find them. Once you have the number of the lock there are several companies that supply replacement keys to match the number. In the past I have used this company in the UK and can highly recommend them. https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/un...EaAqiaEALw_wcB
I had/have several spare locks which had no keys so could not be sold but I found the FS numbers and had two keys for each lock made. £3.95 per key I think they charge and the service is really good as the keys arrived within three days.

So to find the FS Numbers, below I have added some photos of the barrels to show the FS codes. Actually stripping the lock barrels out is very easy with common sense so I will not go into how you do that as it would take too long. The photos do show where some of the hidden pins are though to remove the barrels.
Rather than removing the ignition barrel or door lock barrels which both involve a lot of work if you strip the glove box lock down first and find the FS Number for that, order the FS Key to fit and then try it in the door lock and ignition. It should work but if for some reason it has been changed you would then need to strip the ignition barrel and door lock out to find the correct FS code for the door locks.
At the end I have attached a photo of a set of original keys showing the FS Numbers. Note that the key on the bottom (the larger one ) is for the doors, glove box and ignition. The key on the top (the smaller one) is for the boot lock.

Door barrel showing FS Number

Boot lock showing locating lock pin on the boot lock

Lock pin removed showing FS Number on boot lock barrel

Ignition switch showing hole into which you have to press a sprung pin to remove barrel.

Ignition barrel showing FS number

Glove box lock showing the FS Number.

Original key designs with FS Numbers
Yes same keys as S Type. i.e. FS

Original Keys & Fob delivered with my car in my signature.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 06-26-2024 at 12:33 PM.
S-Type Owner (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Refresh page for all pictures.

Old 06-26-2024, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Improved contrast.

Old 06-27-2024, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Old 06-27-2024, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,150 Likes on 807 Posts

I would point out also that mine have the key code stamped into the face of the ignition cylinder so that it is visible from the driver seat. I cant say if they are original to the cars.

Old 06-28-2024, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Not original. Face is a polished stainless plate with key slot.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 06-28-2024 at 03:14 PM.