MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Mark !! Fuel Pump Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 12:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mark !! Fuel Pump Installation

My 1962 Mark !! 3.8 with automatic transmission has an after market fuel pump installed. I want to take it back to original by re-installing a new SU pump. However, I don't know what the original configuration and parts are since they were all changed by the installation of the after market pump. Does anyone have a photo of a correctly installed SU fuel pump that they could post? Thanks.

Windrush

Old 01-29-2023, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,147 Posts

With Black or Nylon fuel hose. Stay away from NEW Nylon Hose if you are in an alcohol area. Original hose Jaguar used is fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Glyn M Ruck:
Cass3958 (01-29-2023), Peter3442 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,349 Likes on 1,013 Posts

New nylon would be fine, IF (a big if) it were nylon. Most often, it's actually PVC and cannot resist any gasoline, never mind alcohol. Old nylon hose may look scruffy, but it's usually perfectly sound.

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 07:47 AM

Thanks again Glyn. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:49 AM

The existing hoses look pretty good so I will try them first.

Glyn M Ruck (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Peter3442
New nylon would be fine, IF (a big if) it were nylon. Most often, it's actually PVC and cannot resist any gasoline, never mind alcohol. Old nylon hose may look scruffy, but it's usually perfectly sound.
Exactly Peter. And people have the nerve to sell it as "the right stuff"

I got this from XK's Unlimited (now Moss US ~ and was told it was "the right stuff"). while my car was in Johannesburg where 10% Sasol fuel alcohol is added. This was approx 10 days of exposure. Thank heavens I'm now out of the Alcohol supply area. Had to strip it all out back & front which really pissed me off where an S Type has 2 tanks & 2 pumps & a run from the filter to the carbs.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-29-2023 at 01:41 PM.
sov211 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member

Windrush ~ don't forget the earth strap as in 2nd pic or below.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-30-2023 at 03:12 AM.
Windrush (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

Unmolested. I knew I had it somewhere.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:08 AM

Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:55 PM
Received 1,068 Likes on 626 Posts

When did Jaguar start using this nylon hose?
All of my previous MK1s and MK2s originally had hoses with a metallic outer reinforced flexible rubber hose.
These invariably leaked due to old age, and I have substituted MACKAY 5/16 fuel hose rated at 50 PSI.
I always use hose clips on these hoses.
MK1 and MK2 owners should not get too concerned about originality in the fuel pump plumbing as it is hidden away behind the cover panel in the boot.(trunk)

Windrush (01-31-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,349 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Bill, I just had a look at mine. The tubes to and from the fuel pump and to the filter before the carburetors are all nylon. I'm pretty sure, from memory, that it's nylon running under the car, but I'll not be under there to see for sure before the weekend. My Mk2 is 1962/3 and I'm fairly confident that all the fuel line is original. Nylon is a very good material for this application as it has some flexibility, is close to totally impervious (better than the best grade of rubber), and has an extremely long life. The minor difficulties are making the joints and the fact that other 'plastic' materials look similar, but are useless.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,121 Likes on 727 Posts

The fuel line on the S Type underneath the car is all metal, not sure if it is brass or steel. The pipe coming off the fuel tanks are rubber but they then join to metal pipes in the boot. This metal line then runs unbroken under the car to the fuel glass bowl filter. From the glass bowl filter to the carbs is rubber again.
I know this is an S Type and not a Mk2 but I would be surprised if Jaguar did not use a metal pipe under the car, which is pretty exposed, on the Mk2 as well.
Below are photos taken of the underside of my S type when it was at the blasters showing the metal pipe and its route along the underside of the car. The boot showing the start of the pipes above the dual tanks in each wing and from the underside of the car into the engine bay.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:07 PM
Received 1,068 Likes on 626 Posts

I think I have solved the problem of nylon versus flex hose in MK2 cars.
MY photocopied MK2 parts manual shows both flex hoses and nylon hoses. Manual ref Publication J34 - page 337
Where the (metal sheathed) flex hoses are used they join to a metal under the car delivery pipe.
Where nylon hoses are used it shows a single piece nylon pipe running from the pump outlet all the way to the fuel filter.
I won't try to reproduce the extensive list of what bodies used what pipes.
Cheers

Peter3442 (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

On an S Type all under car was metal. Nylon was used before & after the pumps and after filter to carbs.

The Nylon was press fit onto all banjo bolts. See diagram of nylon runs. Nylon was also part of the tank breather system in a long loop connected to steel pipes down the tanks into the air stream. Item 7 below.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Downloadable Manuals

Originally Posted by Windrush
My 1962 Mark !! 3.8 with automatic transmission has an after market fuel pump installed. I want to take it back to original by re-installing a new SU pump. However, I don't know what the original configuration and parts are since they were all changed by the installation of the after market pump. Does anyone have a photo of a correctly installed SU fuel pump that they could post? Thanks.

Windrush
Recently bought a 1966 3.8 S and obtained a reprinted Service Manual to go with the original 2.4 Liter & 3.4 Liter Manual I had 40 years ago when I owned a Mark 1.

Moving with the times I also downloaded PDFs from https://classicstypeparts.webstarts.com/contact

Old 02-06-2023, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
On an S Type all under car was metal. Nylon was used before & after the pumps and after filter to carbs.

The Nylon was press fit onto all banjo bolts. See diagram of nylon runs. Nylon was also part of the tank breather system in a long loop connected to steel pipes down the tanks into the air stream. Item 7 below.

I've just replaced one fuel pump with the spare new one the previous owner had yet to install and I was wondering about the original plastics piping. Good to read that it's nylon and still remains good. That said any words of wisdom on fuel smell in boot that is clearly no longer from pump leaking?

Leaking SU pump replaced with new.

Aftermarket modern pump to be replaced with leaking SU pump once repaired.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Is the fuel smell actually in the boot in which case you have a minor leak at a union somewhere or at the rear of the car where the breather tubes need checking on both the metal pipes attached to the tanks & the long nylon loops (7 in diagram) should on no account be done away with or shortened.

What brand of pump is that? Is it max 3psi. The usual & best replacement by far for the SU Pumps is Hardi from Germany that fits into the standard SU mount & is not polarity sensitive (plug & play ~ fitted by Porsche pre EFI). Smell your new pump.

Soak fibre washers in fuel or fuel/light oil mix overnight before fitting in a sealed container obviously

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 02-06-2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,121 Likes on 727 Posts

The S Type was very prone to leaking fuel tanks because of the way they are fitted to the car and their orientation in regard to the rear wheels. The front leading edge of the fuel tank takes a hammering from all the dirt kicked up by the rear wheel and should be checked. All it needs is a small pin ***** of a hole which will allow a small amount of fuel to leak but this turns quickly in to vapour and you can smell it but not see where it is coming from.
Below are photos of my old fuel tanks from when I obtained my S type. I have since replaced the tanks so no more leaks and smell of fuel in the cab. The replacement tank I used I strengthened around the area prone to damage with fibreglass matting for protection as can be seen in the photo.

Right side fuel tank with damage where grit from road wheel had caused corrosion and a hole.

Close up of the damage.

Old tank on left and a replacement tank on the right which has been strengthened in the area where damage can be caused with fibre glass matting.

Last edited by Cass3958; 02-07-2023 at 08:04 AM.
Glyn M Ruck (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 01:15 PM
Default Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by Cass3958
The S Type was very prone to leaking fuel tanks because of the way they are fitted to the car and their orientation in regard to the rear wheels. The front leading edge of the fuel tank takes a hammering from all the dirt kicked up by the rear wheel and should be checked. All it needs is a small pin ***** of a hole which will allow a small amount of fuel to leak but this turns quickly in to vapour and you can smell it but not see where it is coming from.
Below are photos of my old fuel tanks from when I obtained my S type. I have since replaced the tanks so no more leaks and smell of fuel in the cab. The replacement tank I used I strengthened around the area prone to damage with fibreglass matting for protection as can be seen in the photo.

Right side fuel tank with damage where grit from road wheel had caused corrosion and a hole.

Close up of the damage.

Old tank on left and a replacement tank on the right which has been strengthened in the area where damage can be caused with fibre glass matting.
One more thing to check😃 i

I thinks mine are replacements but will lie on the ground to get a better look from the front next time it's out of the garage.

Last edited by Davjulart; 02-08-2023 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Glyn M Ruck (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

For S Type.

And don't lose the rubbers that fit all around the seam of the tanks when they are bolted in their cradles. They are unobtainable & you would have to bodge something up as a replacement for them. I was lucky. I had 2 donor cars.

Number 26 in this diagram. There are 6 of them.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 02-08-2023 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Mark !! Fuel Pump Installation