MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Mk2 1962 Steering idler & box geometry alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk2 1962 Steering idler & box geometry alignment

Hi, looking for comments !
I've just carried out the extensive rebuild of the front end on Mk2 1962. On installing steering box & Idler, the alignment of the central adjustable "track rod" does not align well to the threaded sections.
See pic below to explain. I put it together, but noted the excessive force applied to the inner bush. upgraded-type so less flexible, and expect to failure quickly if left un-modified.

current original setup
My proposal is to slot three of the idler bolt holes, and rotate the idler. This seems to provide an aligned thread to accept the "track rod" even as you rotate from stop to stop.

Proposed rotation. see white paint for slotting 3 of the bolt holes.

My question to all. Has anyone else come accross this ? Is there any suggestions ?

Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it did seem wrong to need to alter the original parts after 57 years. BUT the drop arm and the housing of the bush appear to have no sign of distortion. So my only conclusion was that the idler geometry for what ever reason was wrong. However, the rebuild did indicate that the bushes have been replaced more than once and were completely shot. So potentially this is an original manufacturer problem. comments from other would be welcome!

So, i had the 4 bolt holes evenly slotted with a rotation of 2.5 mm at the hole locations. (as opposed to my original three holes plan indicated earlier) rotated in the clockwise direction. Tested a number of times during final assembly with full lock both directions. and the movement appears to be near zero stress on the bushes and am expecting bushes etc to last. Hence no play in the bushes !!!

Old 09-27-2019, 05:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the post Steve.

I have been through the process of replacing the pins and bushes with uprated versions, but didn't have any alignment issues. Nevertheless, your photos and solution will doubtless be useful to anyone who comes across this situation in future. Thank you.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reattachment of idler & pitman arm ***'y's 1962 Mk2 manual

• The car has been in &out of "professional" shops for more years than I care to admit. Either they don't know how to do it or can't be bothered. Finally, I'm working on it myself with a mechanic & race car builder in my own roomy well-equipped shop. We seem to have the same problem with reattaching the idler & pitman to the sub-frame. 3 of the bolts are aligned correctly while the 4th isn't (?). My mechanic friend wants to weld a threaded stud to the subframe that aligns with the offset hole on the idler/pitman ***'ys. Suggestions?

Old 09-28-2022, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Orlando St.R
Thanks for the post Steve.

I have been through the process of replacing the pins and bushes with uprated versions, but didn't have any alignment issues. Nevertheless, your photos and solution will doubtless be useful to anyone who comes across this situation in future. Thank you.
They should align perfectly. You have upgraded to Varamatic so your adjustment of toe is on the outer rods. Type 1 & Type 2 PAS boxes have toe set on the centre rod only.