MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

MK2 after all

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 12:37 PM
Received 161 Likes on 92 Posts

Just called the guy selling the car and he was quite shocked (or maybe I am naive). He will help me check all the numbers and try to work out whats going on. I will request the heritige certificate in his name so we can find out whats going on. The sale is on hold.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rishi:
Cass3958 (03-03-2024), Glyn M Ruck (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,034 Posts

The Netherlands authorities can be strict about the VIN (chassis number). They are checked at the annual MoT and in one rcase the row of zeros at the start of the number weren't shown on the Dutch registration document. The car had arrived with an expat and the zeros had been lost in copying. The result might have been a load of problems and no MoT. However, the car had a few mechanical problems and was scrapped. This was all 40 years ago. As I recall, the VIN was the only number, apart from the number plate, to appear on Dutch registration papers. We were in NL when I swapped the engine in my Daimler and, in those days about 25 years ago, the authorities weren't interested.

Last edited by Peter3442; 03-03-2024 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Originally Posted by Rishi
Just called the guy selling the car and he was quite shocked (or maybe I am naive). He will help me check all the numbers and try to work out whats going on. I will request the heritige certificate in his name so we can find out whats going on. The sale is on hold.
Good!

Old 03-03-2024, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

I should also have mentioned that the MoT tester knows the proper place, that is the bonnet closing plate, to look for the VIN. That one has to agree with the RDW records and papers with the car. As the whether it has to be consistent with anything that came out of the Jaguar factory is a different question.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Peter3442
I should also have mentioned that the MoT tester knows the proper place, that is the bonnet closing plate, to look for the VIN. That one has to agree with the RDW records and papers with the car. As the whether it has to be consistent with anything that came out of the Jaguar factory is a different question.
That makes sense as the RDW has it registered with the Chassis number (and it’s the chassis number that’s stamped next to the bonnet latch) and not the Car number so as far as they are concerned it all matches. You are right that the RDW only registers the VIN but in this case it looks like they registered the chassis number and not the car number.

Last edited by Rishi; 03-03-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Glyn M Ruck (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 2,119 Posts

It looks to me like a previous owner has put in the later XJ6 transmission and stamped a new chassis plate to reflect that. The numbers on that plate look etched, rather than stamped like the originals. The original plates were stamped quite heavily. It's clearly been off the car, as it's screwed on instead of riveted.

I notice there is nothing in the valve clearance place, so it's clearly a replacement plate.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

In the early 1960s, the term VIN hadn't arrived in the UK. Our registration document, the old beige/green log book, had a space marked 'chassis, frame or car number'. Presumably, the three terms were used interchangeably here.

Glyn M Ruck (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Homersimpson
I think someone has had that plate stamped as the gearbox number looks too long for the plate and also an LA engine number would be for a much earlier 3.8.

As mentioned above a heritage certificate will confirm what numbers it had originally but of course it doesn't really matter as long as your happy with it.
Originally Posted by Jagboi64
It looks to me like a previous owner has put in the later XJ6 transmission and stamped a new chassis plate to reflect that. The numbers on that plate look etched, rather than stamped like the originals. The original plates were stamped quite heavily. It's clearly been off the car, as it's screwed on instead of riveted.

I notice there is nothing in the valve clearance place, so it's clearly a replacement plate.
Yes, clearly a new plate. At least someone wanted to display the correct info. Its the Car number and Chassis number not matching that concerns me.

Glyn M Ruck (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 2,119 Posts

In UK terms, car and chassis number are the same thing. The body number means the bodyshell only, not a finished motor vehicle. It's comparable to the engine number. Interesting, but not really useful to know. I would have expected the stamping on the radiator header panel to be the same as the car number.

I can't remember on my S Type, but I think the body number is on a small tag riveted behind the rear bumper, and that's the only place you'll find it. A Mark 2 expert can correct me if I'm wrong on that location.

Old 03-03-2024, 04:17 PM

Thanks. I think the dutch registration authority (RDW) took the body number and registered the car using that. Maybe they stamped the car themselves when it was imported.
The car was imported in 1977 and has gone through multiple APK's (MOT) without any issue. The anomaly is if you look in up it appears as a 1967 3.4 because of the E prefixed body number but if you look up the Car number (starts with a 2) its a 1967 3.8.
It has the 3.8 engine because that is cast in the block.

Its a beautiful car and I want it but I have to be sensible. The price is almost to good to be true and we all know about things that appear to good to be true!

Old 03-03-2024, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 746 Posts

In your very first post on this car you said "Matching numbers chassis, engine and gearbox." Is this what the seller stated or is this something you thought having seen the numbers on the VIN plate. It is certainly not a "Matching numbers " car and if it was the seller who said this even though he might not have realised it he has misrepresented the cars identity and that should supersede any verbal agreement you had. It was cheap for a reason and I think you have found the reason. Stick to an S Type anyway they are the better car. (Stand back for the argument to commence.)

Glyn M Ruck (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 04:54 PM

I asked him about that. He says that’s what he was told when he purchased the car 7 years ago. Tomorrow he will put the car on the bridge and get the numbers from the gearbox and engine rather than the VIN plate.

Glyn M Ruck (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

In UK terms, car and chassis number are the same thing. The body number means the bodyshell only, not a finished motor vehicle. It's comparable to the engine number. Interesting, but not really useful to know. I would have expected the stamping on the radiator header panel to be the same as the car number.

I can't remember on my S Type, but I think the body number is on a small tag riveted behind the rear bumper, and that's the only place you'll find it. A Mark 2 expert can correct me if I'm wrong on that location.
On your S Type JB the body number is repeated on the RHS near the rear bumper mount. On the LHS in the same place is the Pressed Steel number.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:10 AM
Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

I can confirm that is the correct location of the body number.
I remember seeing it there after having removed the rear bumper for rust repairs in the rear quarters.
Try using a an endoscope (?) to spot it, cos taking the bumper off is an absolute horror.
Pete

The following 2 users liked this post by redtriangle:
Cass3958 (03-04-2024), Glyn M Ruck (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 07:48 AM
Received 323 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by redtriangle
I can confirm that is the correct location of the body number.
I remember seeing it there after having removed the rear bumper for rust repairs in the rear quarters.
Try using a an endoscope (?) to spot it, cos taking the bumper off is an absolute horror.
Pete
Its one of these two on later cars (below is my 1967 2.4 Auto) on my 1959 MK2 its located on a plate above the battery.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:40 AM

Got this back from the heritage trust:

Good afternoon Rishi,
Thank you for your research request.
We can confirm that engine number LA 4612-8, body number E 065816 and gearbox number 45PT1BW66 does not match with chassis number P
224588 BW Which is a Jaguar Mark II 3.8 left-hand drive.
Kind regards
Tracy Nabbs

Pretty much what my research indicated. Don't like the Body number not matching the Chassis number. I think I am going to pull out. Shame, really nice car.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Sad really as it looked a nice car but the history is key and this car looks on paper as a Bitszer. Bit from here, bit from there.
If the owner was not aware of the changes himself (you said he had owned the car for 7 years) then it is a shame for him too but that said he could either be lying or he did not do his own due diligent checking when he bought the car. Nice car at a low price means there is often something wrong with it. I think you are making the right decision.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:52 AM

I think you are right. I believe the owner is honest but he didn't do any research. I think I am at the point of going full circle. Mk 2's are just a bit too expensive for me and I am seriously considering going back to the first S type I saw that was regularly used, heritage certificate, well maintained, has nice upgrades but is a bit tatty. I think I can get it for €18K

Old 03-05-2024, 12:20 PM

Told the seller I am withdrawing my bid. It was such a nice car but it would have always bugged me and I would never have been able to sell it with a clear conscience. Thanks for all the help and support. Back to the hunt!

Glyn M Ruck (03-06-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rishi
I think you are right. I believe the owner is honest but he didn't do any research. I think I am at the point of going full circle. Mk 2's are just a bit too expensive for me and I am seriously considering going back to the first S type I saw that was regularly used, heritage certificate, well maintained, has nice upgrades but is a bit tatty. I think I can get it for €18K
Good choice of car but then I would say that having one myself.

Quick Reply: MK2 after all