MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

MK2 automatic to Moss box conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK2 automatic to Moss box conversion

Hi friends,

I have a 3.4 automatic 1964 right hand drive Mk2 with a very tired BW auto slush box. I am planning to replace with a 1964 Moss manual with overdrive and bell housing.
Yes, yes, I know it's not the best Jaguar box, but I want to preserve originality and the one I have has been completely rebuilt, including the overdrive.
I have the following parts: manual flywheel; manual starter; manual gearbox support bracket; manual with overdrive propshaft; and a manual pedal box.
Can one of you kind souls talk me through the conversion process please?
Is any cutting/reshaping of the tunnel required?
What kind of clutch kit should I buy?
Any other parts needed other than clutch master and slave cylinders and pipes?
I can't find anything detailed online about tackling such a conversion, so any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 702 Likes on 507 Posts

I've never done this, but you also need the bits on the steering column and the console has to be changed to take the stick shift..
Where you have P-R-D etc... there will be "JAGUAR" there.
You will also need the lever switch to slip it into over drive, and with that comes the different bakelite cowl on the steering column.

The rear end drive ratio also may be different to accommodate the auto box, so that may have to be looked into.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

The tunnel is larger on the Automatic body, this is not a job I have done, but I think you will have to fabricate mounting points for the rear gearbox mount, I think the auto box uses a cotton reel type mount. If you can post pictures of the existing mounts I'm sure we can point you in the right direction. You will have to remove the linkage for the shifter, and fabricate the console for the gear lever etc. As Jeff has already said other than the bakelite cowl should have "Overdrive" rather than Jaguar for the overdrive box, you will need to wire in the Overdrive lever and gearbox solenoid etc. but you can buy the gearbox harness and fit that into your existing wiring. You can look on the rear axle, there should be a tag on one of the bolts for the diff cover which should have the propshaft type on it.

There will be other things, but this gives you a start.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 323 Likes on 227 Posts

Interesting! My S Type's got a S2 XJ6 slush box, which works well, & it has JAGUAR written in the illuminated Perspex arch over the steering column. So does that mean it left Brown's Lane with a manual box? & wouldn't that make it easier to convert back to a manual? Is there a way to find out from the VIN? &, being a 64 build car, which I believe was the year Jaguar switched from the Moss Box to an in-house design. Would the VIN, or something else, indicate which box was originally fitted?

Old 07-03-2017, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

If you get a Heritage Certificate it should give you the build details, what's the chassis number ? It should have the info on the plate unless the plate has been changed.

If it has Jaguar in the Bakelite cowl, it should be a manual no overdrive cowl, that doesn't mean the cowl is original obviously.

If it has the XJ6 fitted on a manual body, then the conversion should be easier as the mounting holes should be there etc.

The following users liked this post:
scatcat (07-03-2017)