MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Mk2 rear axle problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 08:14 PM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Mk2 rear axle problem

I thought I would finish up the rear axle on my Mk2 this afternoon. Its a 3.8 with the LSD. The entire axle is out of the car and I just got the new bearings pressed onto the axle shafts and installed the new inner oil seals that arrived today. Should be simple, right? I went to slide the axle shaft into the right side and it would not go all the way home. The bearing was proud of the flange by about a half inch. The splines had engaged but it would not go the final half inch. It was hitting something solid. I tried the left side and it slid right in. That got me thinking that maybe I had mixed them up despite carefully marking them right and left. I took the left side back out and compared it to the right and they are the same length. Hmmmmm...... I went to put the left back in and it would not go this time. Back to the right side, it still would not go. I got my flashlight and I could see what appeared to be washer laying in there at the end. I then got my wand with a small magnet on the end and pulled out..... a pin. Looking at the parts manual, it looks like the "spacer" that centers the spider gears on the small carrier. I assume it fell out and was preventing the axle from seating. At this point I got frustrated an quit.
Just how screwed am I at this point? If I take the diff cover off (again), will I be able to see this and will I be able to fix it without pulling the entire carrier out? The manual calls for a special tool to slightly spread the diff case to get it out. I don't have that. It does not appear that anything holds the spider gear assemblies together except the ends of the axle shafts. I can see a light score mark on the end of the axle shaft that matches the head on the pin/spacer. Maybe all the banging with the slide hammer pulled the pin out with the axle shaft? I really didn't want to get into the LSD assembly itself since there is very minimal play and the teeth looked very nice when I had the cover off previously.
Thanks in advance for any help and happy Easter, everyone!

Last edited by GGG; 04-06-2021 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 04-04-2021, 02:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the same mistake when I changed wheel bearings on my car. The LSD axle is different from a non LSD axle in having the two sliding washers with a small pin holding them in place. The pin seems prone to break off which does not matter as long as everything is installed. If you remove the diff cover there is just enough space to insert the washers. Takes some patience and long small tools though. I fitted them with a little grease to keep them in place. The pin and two washers I recently found at SNG so I bought a set in case I ever open the axle again.
Rgds Svante

Old 04-04-2021, 07:46 AM

Thank you Sventek! This is very helpful!
I did a little shopping last night and saw that SNG Barratt does have the kit but it is a "special order" which likely means that it is not stocked in the US. I think I will follow your lead and put a set on order.
Thanks again! I have renewed hope!

Old 04-05-2021, 05:01 PM

I was able to get the pins in through the ends of the axle tubes. It took a long wand with a magnet and a long dow rod to hold it in place while the magnet is pulled back out. Both axles slid right in! One thing I noticed when I pulled the axles out was that the outer bearing race stood proud of the flange by a little bit. Maybe an 1/8th inch. The race could have been driven further into the tube. Without the races in place and with the axles fully inserted into the tubes to the point where pushing on one pushes the other side out, It looks like neither outer bearing race should be driven all the way home. There would be zero end play with the outer race pushing the axle shafts in as far as they will go. The manual is not clear on this. Should I just drive the outer races in far enough to leave the necessary 3-5 thou end play and then use the shims to make sure that when the bearing retainer is tightened down it will not push the outer race any further into the axle? Is the bearing retainer used to push the outer races into place? Maybe start with more shims, check end play, and remove shims as necessary?

Old 04-06-2021, 12:27 AM

You are correct in that the bearing races should protrude about the same on both sides. Outer bearing race position is adjusted by adding or removing shims. I set the races to approximately the right measurement and tightened everything properly on one side o the car. Then I check the play and fine tune on the other side. Remember you have to push and pull quite hard when measuring as both shaft are sliding. Inner race position must be fully home and should not be moved. To get bigger gap if you need, you knock on the drive shaft end on the other side of the car. Let me know if this was not clear. Good luck/Svante

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 06:47 PM

Thank you, Sventek! That is what I was hoping to hear. I do need to knock one side back out a little but it is good to know that the outer race is not supposed to be driven all the way in. If that was the case, something is still very wrong.
Given that the race was out a little when I removed the axle shafts, this all makes sense. Sigh of relief.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:52 AM

This picture is from a mk1 manual but shows the bearing position quite well if you zoom in.
/Svante

Old 04-07-2021, 07:33 PM

Thanks again, Sventek! Very helpful.