MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Mk2 Steering Column Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk2 Steering Column Bushings

Hello everyone I was wondering if you can help me figure out how to change the upper felt bushing on my 62 MK2 LHD? As I open the switch cover I noticed that there was denigrating plastic at the tip of the steering column. Now I am a bit confused because I am not sure if felt bushing is the issue but it looks more like the plastic and I know that some models came with the plastic column bushing and other did not. I though mine did not? Also, what do I need to do to replace the bushing?
Thanks
-Ernesto

Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Ernesto,
you need the upper and lower bushings in vinyl, do not bother with the felt bushings, they wear out in no time, that's why Jaguar went to vinyl bushes.

SNG Barrat USA store has the bushings.

http://www.sngbarrattusa.com/catalog...&back=y&next=y

you need to disconnect the inner steering shaft from the lower steering column firewall/bulkhead connector in the engine compartment. There is a ½" nut and bolt connecting the splined inner shaft to the lower steering column connector;

first step: park the car with the front wheels straight ahead;

second: make a visible thin line mark at the point where the bolted connector and shaft are connected, white paint works best. make sure the thin straight line mark extends to both the connector and the inner shaft of the steering; The idea is so that when you reinstall the inner steering column, the two thin lines need to be perfectly aligned.

third: now you need to go to the inside of the car and remove the thrust washer/bracket located at the bottom, near the carpet/floor. Make sure you understand how it was installed before removing it, it's going to be difficult to reinstall.

fourth: disconnect the wiring connectors for the horn, located halfway at the outer steering column inside the car.

fifth: remove the "nacelles" surrounds, black plastic covers behind the steering wheel,
here you are getting into serious business, make sure you take pictures to remind you how everything was.

sixth: remove the bolt & nut at the engine compartment near the firewall; Pry/separate the splined shaft and open the connector about 1/8" or more while someone pulls the entire steering column out. Not easy.

once you have the entire inner steering column out, complete with steering wheel, then you can start to pull the old bushings out and insert the new ones using a little grease, Petroleum Jelly can be used if you have no grease.

the new vinyl bushings have a "dot" that sticks out, the dot needs to fall into a corresponding hole in the outer steering column shell. There is one bushing at the top end, one at the bottom end in the engine compartment at the point where the outer steering column sticks out of the firewall. Rub a little petroleum jelly or grease in the inside diameter of each bushing so the inner shaft goes in easier, it will be a little tighter now.

reinstallation is the reverse of the above. Try to find a Factory Shop Manual, all these procedures are there with drawings, best investment you'll ever make for your car.

Here's a picture from 2004 when I replaced the steering column bushings in my S type, I just pulled the whole inner column out complete with steering wheel. Piece of cake with the Shop Manual.

Attached Thumbnails Mk2 Steering Column Bushings-08-wheel-column-3.8s.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 08-04-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that's my problem with daimler 250, lot of play in steering,