MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Our Early MK2 interesting features - right side turn signal swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 09:26 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Our Early MK2 interesting features - right side turn signal swap?

Our MK2 is an early LHD 4-speed OD 1960 model VIN 125457. Originally a 2.4, now a 3.8 installed.

Some early MK2 features it has

- sun visors that fit in headliner recesses
- no heater water shutoff valve
- turn signals on right with OD switch on the left
- are there others???? that I am not aware of

Can the turn signal and OD switches be swapped to reflect a more normal position? I would switch them as long as I can use the existing hardware which at first look does not seem possible. Replacements for the original switches as fitted on the car are not available that I can find. A new left side turn signal switch is around $300, so not going there as long as our right side one still works.

I have not problem living with the right hand side switch for now as interestingly I also have a 1970 BMW 2800CS coupe, a 10 year newer car and it has the turn signal in the right hand side.

Thanks

jjsaqndsms

Old 07-05-2023, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Yes that was common to early cars. Let me see if I can find a date they swapped. There were many changes.

January 1960 brought improved sump sealing to reduce oil loss, and in March the 100psi dashboard oil pressure gauge was changed to a 60psi type; the smaller scale allowed the needle to register in the middle of the gauge when all was well, and stopped owners worrying unnecessarily. In April, the fixed interior mirror stem was replaced by a telescopic type that gave a wider range of adjustment. In May, the steering column stalks swapped sides to suit export market expectations, so that the indicator stalk was now on the left and the overdrive switch on the right. May also brought stiffer front springs. The Mk 2’s heating arrangements were never good, and as a first step Jaguar advised dealers to make sure that all the heater flaps closed properly to exclude cold air. Then in July 1960 they added a water valve to the system (which was originally permanently in circuit) to counter the opposite problem of unwanted heat seeping through from the heater when the air flaps were in the ‘off’ position. In July, two changes were also made to counter complaints about petrol smells in the car: a breather pipe was fitted to the filler neck, together with a non-vented filler cap. At the start of the 1961 season, in September 1960, power assisted steering became an option. It brought stronger steering arms to resist damage if the wheels were turned against an obstruction, such as a kerb. The system was only ever offered for the 3.4-litre and 3.8-litre models, because the lighter engine in the 2.4-litre models made it unnecessary. The original 4.5in wheel rims gave way to 5in rims, and a polythene reservoir for brake fluid replaced the corrodible steel type. In November 1960, the front door window frames gained a reinforcing fillet at the bottom that prevented the frames being sucked outwards at speed and creating wind noise. New sun visors appeared, reshaped and now on a pivot mounting at their outer edges so that they could be swiveled to shield the side windows. As the original ashtray had tended to deposit its contents all over the floor, the spring loading of its lid was changed to keep it shut rather than open. The steering column was lowered slightly to give a more comfortable driving position, and an organ-type accelerator pedal replaced the original pendant type. (The organ-type pedal had also been fitted on a few earlier cars – it was intended to appeal to more sporting drivers who were unable to heel-and-toe with the pendant type.) Also in November, a different type of fuel pump was fitted and the optional engine block heater moved to the right-hand side of the block
The crankshaft rear cover was modified in January 1961 to reduce oil leaks. February brought more rigid forged wishbones to replace the pressed type, while the optional uprated anti-roll bar now became standardised. A dipstick guide tube was added this month, which also saw a range of new paint colours that included Jaguar’s first-ever metallics. In June 1961, cast-iron brake calipers replaced the malleable-iron type and came with improved adjusters. The dipstick for the automatic gearbox was relocated from its position under the transmission tunnel carpet to a more accessible position under the bonnet. Rubber buffers fitted to the door sills and bonnet edges that month were probably a response to complaints of rattles or chafing, and June also saw a zone-toughened windscreen become standard across the Mk 2 range. The 1961 season’s final changes were in August that year, when a new PAS pump became standard and a larger-capacity oil pump was fitted. Water deflectors were added to protect the front hubs and drilled camshafts minimized rattle during cold starts by improving lubrication.

This covers your period but there were many later changes. This comes from many Jaguar publications. I'm a great reader of all things Jaguar and we built well over 2000 Mk2's in South Africa..

Give credit to all the scribes out there & their research. Jaguar's chief historian was consulted by all of them.

Coventry Foundation intends digitising all Dealer Technical Bulletins so you will have access to them.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-05-2023 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:52 PM
Received 323 Likes on 209 Posts

You may also have:

White tell tales on top of the side lights rather than red
Flat glass headlamps
The drains from the underside of the doors may be a seperate piece riveted on rather than a welded piece.
There may be a hole in the nearside (UK) inner wing where the air cleaner on the 3.4 and 3.8 passed through to the oil bath cleaner under the wing (not sure if this hole was there on the 2.4 and just not used).
Steel sump on the engine with a removable circular section.
Extra brackets under the car where the handbrake cable on a MK1 would be routed.
Unreinforced panhard rod mounting on the body.
Painted centre dash instrument panel rather than black vinyl covered.
Bolted on front seat front mounting (welded on on later cars).
Tool kit lined in green rather than the later black.
Welded pressed steel top front suspension arms with a different top bump stop.

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 05:52 PM

Accelerator pedal hangs like the brake and clutch pedals. Is another early oddity I have.

Jjsandsms

Glyn M Ruck (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jjsandsms
Accelerator pedal hangs like the brake and clutch pedals. Is another early oddity I have.

Jjsandsms
Yes ~ I mention that above. "an organ-type accelerator pedal replaced the original pendant type"

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-06-2023 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Restored early sun visors.

Old 07-07-2023, 05:32 AM

Yes I think the early sun visors are quite nice, really a bit classy. My headliner is in decent shape but the hardware on the visors are tarnished. At some point I will plate them.

jjsandsms

Glyn M Ruck (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

They were changed because people wanted to be able to rotate/swivel them to the side windows.

Old 07-07-2023, 01:11 PM
Received 323 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Restored early sun visors.

That looks like a later headlining fitted to an early car as it shouldn't have the seam through where the sunvisors are.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

The headlining is not accurately stitched or straight, Jaguar kept changing in those early days. Ignore that. I was showing the sunvisors. It is the slightly later headlining hence the telescoping mirror stalk.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-07-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Unless absolute attention to detail is applied to restorations these are the consequences. Please post a better picture if you have. I don't.