MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Rebuilding Burman(?) PA steering box

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 1,110 Posts

From another forum where Alan Wiede & I are members.

This car would have been fitted with a Burman First type PAS Box ~ no dimple in the crossmember. Mod to Varamatic.

https://www.jagexp.com/forum/classic...g-box-swap.18/

Read together with:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...-234737/page2/

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-11-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:30 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hello Captain Q. I have just fitted the Burman type 2 to a cross member that has previously only had a straight non assisted steering box on it and there was no dimple required for the PAS to be attached. The only difference is that for the PAS steering box (and associated idler unit) they use a long bolt that goes completely through the cross member.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:49 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks 'wouldbeowner' (presumably you are now 'owner' - lol). That's a relief to know - I suppose, being heavier/bulkier the long bolt provides additional support for the steering box. How do find the steering now compared to when it was manual ?

Regards Keith (CaptainQ)

Old 07-12-2020, 04:18 AM

Gday Keith. Yes i am now “owner” rather than wouldbeowner. Proud owner of a beautiful old 1964 3.8s manual with overdrive. Not concourse but drivable and fun.
as far as how it drives i cant yet say. I anly bolted the box and suspension into place middle of last week then once in place i needed to get the hoses made to join up with the astra electric power steering pump mounted under the LH front wheel well directly behind the LH headlight - had to move the vacuum reservoir a bit. The other issue is that i needed to source another lower steering column which i think i have done. Anyway might have it back on the road in the next week or two.

Last edited by wouldbeowner; 07-12-2020 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

I have owned a 1965 S type with factory power assist since 2004. The steering is fine considering I also own a 1984 XJ-6 with rack & pinion and factory power steering so I can definitely compare steering ability..

Then consider I replaced the gigantic 17" steering wheels with 15" steering wheels and there is hardly any additional effort needed to steer the cars with the smaller steering wheel. It is actually more comfortable.

Except the XJ-6 is a little harder to park with a smaller steering wheel than the S type. Just a little.

And except the XJ-6 has been a non-leaker in 30 years of ownership. I bought the XJ in 1989.

So the S type steering box is leaking. So let it leak. It is an old car. Just check the fluid level in the reservoir.

The following users liked this post:
wouldbeowner (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

ICS remanning a steering box but it does not specify the type:

Old 07-12-2020, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

That is a very early manual worm & nut steering box from a Mark1 & some Mk 2's. Upgrades usually to achieve less than the standard 4.25 turns lock to lock.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
I have owned a 1965 S type with factory power assist since 2004. The steering is fine considering I also own a 1984 XJ-6 with rack & pinion and factory power steering so I can definitely compare steering ability..

Then consider I replaced the gigantic 17" steering wheels with 15" steering wheels and there is hardly any additional effort needed to steer the cars with the smaller steering wheel. It is actually more comfortable.

Except the XJ-6 is a little harder to park with a smaller steering wheel than the S type. Just a little.

And except the XJ-6 has been a non-leaker in 30 years of ownership. I bought the XJ in 1989.

So the S type steering box is leaking. So let it leak. It is an old car. Just check the fluid level in the reservoir.
If you want a Bandaid fix for leaks add a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak to your reservoir. It contains a seal swell additive that will stop many leaks for some time.

Note I said Bandaid. Does not replace a proper rebuild with new seals. Will stop or reduce leaks for some time depending on condition.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-12-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Jose (07-29-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 702 Likes on 507 Posts

What the video fails to show the laymen or first time builder, is to use grease to hold the ball in place on assembly.
He's also installing the worm, shims and everything else all in one go.
I would set the worm up with the shims, take it apart again and then continue with the assembly.
It's easier to adjust the shims on the worm when it's in there by itself.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:49 PM

Hi all,

I am in the exact same position as 'wouldbeowner'. I am also replacing my manual steering box with a Burman unit AND utilising a Vauxhall/GM electric pump (In fact I'm picking up my 'made to order' High Pressure hose from a hose manufacturer this coming Tuesday. It requires a Vauxhall connector on one end and the Jaguar female connector on the other). The only difference is that I'm installing the pump on the left-hand inner wing rather than behind the left headlamp. Looks like it's a race to see who tries it out first - lol ! After a lot of searching I managed to find the shorter lower column on Ebay. I hope after all the searching and improvisation it proves to
be worthwhile (the car drives fine at any speed over 10mph but requires a lot of effort when parking etc). Good luck 'wouldbeowner' !!

Old 07-12-2020, 05:54 PM

Same to you captain Q. Here is a picture of pretty much what mine will look like. Mine isnt quite as tidy but this is what I have modeled mine on.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wouldbeowner
Hello Captain Q. I have just fitted the Burman type 2 to a cross member that has previously only had a straight non assisted steering box on it and there was no dimple required for the PAS to be attached. The only difference is that for the PAS steering box (and associated idler unit) they use a long bolt that goes completely through the cross member.
Through bolt idler side ~ same steering box side.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:39 AM

Thanks for that photo Glyn - looks like the part number is C16038 (obviously NLA). I'll have to measure required length with a rod & locate a suitable bolt (I'm presuming it will be high tensile to be on the safe side).

Old 07-13-2020, 06:04 PM

CaptainQ, have you decided on how you will be connecting up the electrics yet? The guru that has given me advice has said that he has done it by connecting the power up to the alternator output for the battery and then uses the exciter off the alternator to connect to one or other of those small wires handing out of the astra PS pump. From memory there is a skinny little white, black and (maybe)brown wire. Do you happen to know which connect to the exciter? If you dont I will ask him.Cheers, Tim

Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 PM

I haven't got that far yet 'wouldbeowner'. However, check out the following link from Valvechatter (https://valvechatter.com/?p=8114). It's a really useful site following the complete restoration of a MK2. The link covers the wiring of the Vauxhall pump supplied in the MC Wilkinson rack conversion.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:32 PM

Thanks CQ, looks good.
Cheers

Old 07-13-2020, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
Thanks for that photo Glyn - looks like the part number is C16038 (obviously NLA). I'll have to measure required length with a rod & locate a suitable bolt (I'm presuming it will be high tensile to be on the safe side).
Yes probably wise. Jaguar also beefed up the drop arm & the idler arm on PAS models to stop the manual items from being bent if you turned the PAS while against a kerb.

Weedy non PAS arms.

Beefed up PAS arms.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-13-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:07 AM

Ah, so beautifully tidy Glyn.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:33 AM

Thanks Glyn. I managed to locate & buy all of the ‘beefed up’ components. Proved rather time consuming as most sellers want to sell complete PAS systems - the hardest part to find was the shorter lower column. Hoping to pick up the custom-made HP hose today.

Glyn M Ruck (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 02:46 AM

Aint that the truth CQ. Cass (from this site) has very kindly offered to sell one he has to me but before I did that I thought I would try and source one out here on the assumption that avoiding international shipping if possible was a wise option. I have found two spares dealers that say they have one. One has a shot rubber boot (the steering column, not the dealer himself) but he is expecting some in in the next few days. The other is sure they have one but has simply been too flat out to look. Seems like everyone is taking the covid shutdowns as a good opportunity to do work on cars. I now have all my hoses and am hoping to get the pump back before the weekend with a new fitting welded onto it . I think all the pipe work will cost me more than I first expected but that seems to be par for the course. BTW that wiring chart you pointed me at is good. Cheers

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Burman(?) PA steering box