MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Road Wheel Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

The Pepper Pots look nothing like the Ace Turbo trims which I hate.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-23-2022 at 09:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Peter3442 (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 10:46 AM
Received 228 Likes on 141 Posts

these are stock wheels but the treatment (AFAIK was an option) with the contrasting wheel color and beauty rings really sets them off.

this is a nice wheel treatment and may have been a factory option. ...simply a contrasting color.

The following 3 users liked this post by hueyhoolihan:
Glyn M Ruck (10-23-2022), Jose (10-23-2022), Peter3442 (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Late/new hubcaps & rimbellishers with contrasting color certainly works. Never liked the colour or crossply tyres. Would have preferred narrow whitewall radial tyres. It's a strange mixture of new & old to my eye.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-23-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,034 Posts

It was a motoring journalist who made the comment on 'pepperpots looking Ace.' I guess it was a reference to the extent of aluminium. I admit that I metioned it mainly to see Glyn's reaction . They do remind me of the hub caps used on coaches and long distance buses in those days - perhaps Ace made those as well?

Last edited by Peter3442; 10-23-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Glyn M Ruck (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
So, I would recommend[b] Oxendine check out North American GM wheels which may be the same and may widen his choices.
I recall reading somewhere ( Jag-lovers?) that while the bolt circle is the same between GM and Jaguar, the hub bore is smaller on GM wheels. So the bore hole on any GM wheel would need to be machined larger. I don't know if the offset is compatible either.

Glyn M Ruck (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 2,119 Posts

If you want to mix and match, there is the what was used on the late Daimler DS420 limos - an alloy Kent wheel with Mark 2 style hubcaps.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 525 Posts

Those may be Bias Ply look radials from Diamond Back Classic Radials.
I have some on my Bentley, they do look like Bias Ply.
I think it's the Cross-Ply look on the car that you don't like Glyn.

Auburn Deluxe Radial - 15 Inch White Wall Tires - 16 Inch White Wall Tires : (dbtires.com)

Last edited by JeffR1; 10-23-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Glyn M Ruck (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JeffR1
Those may be Bias Ply look radials from Diamond Back Classic Radials.
I have some on my Bentley, they do look like Bias Ply.
I think it's the Cross-Ply look on the car that you don't like Glyn.

Auburn Deluxe Radial - 15 Inch White Wall Tires - 16 Inch White Wall Tires : (dbtires.com)
Interesting. Did not know they existed. Also don't like the broad whitewalls that my Dad so loved & I had to scrub every Sunday due to mother curbing them. Prefer the narrow whitewall radials like Prof Gregory has (sov211) on his Mk2. Finally persuaded father to fit narrow white sidewalls to mother's Chrysler Valiant ~ looked far better. Then she sorted him out by buying a new Alfa because I always drove Alfas back in those days & she liked them. (colour, styling & driving dynamics). She was a gentle, highly intelligent soul ~ straight A student. When father irritated her there were no harsh words, her clothing account reflected it at month end.

They must squeal like hell in hard cornering. That tread edge is well known for sqealing.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-23-2022 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

You may specify what ever width of white wall you like over there, but I think if you put a very thin one on those tires, it would look very odd.
Here's a better one, a bit more modern, and like the others, you can specify what ever you want, even different colours.

Auburn Premium - 15 Inch White Wall Tires - Classic Car Tires : (dbtires.com)

Old 10-23-2022, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

This is what I like. Prof Gregory's Car. (sov211). Standard & US OE correct tyre wise for the year other than reduced rear spats. You can mount that on any wheel of choice. The OP does not like wires.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-23-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,306 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
This is what I like. Prof Gregory's Car. (sov211). Standard & US OE correct tyre wise for the year other than reduced rear spats. You can mount that on any wheel of choice. The OP does not like wires.

Glyn:
Actually, as this is a Canadian-market car sold new in Winnipeg in March 1966, the tires are period correct for the car as delivered in 1966. I seem to say this often, perhaps too often, but every Jaguar of every model delivered to Canada and the US was factory fitted with white wall/band tires until 1982. For that matter, MGB models were also delivered with white band tires until the 1975 uglification.

My car as pictured, however, does have one deviation from delivery spec, apart from the faux-Coombes spats. Any comments?

Glyn M Ruck (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member

I like them all really, it depends what mood I'm in, both the modern and old look appeal to me and put me in different time zones and gets my imagination going and what it was like in those different era's.
I really do like the car in post #22, it makes me think of French Vanilla and Caramel pudding !

Last edited by JeffR1; 10-24-2022 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member

The car in #22 is an interesting colour. In Britain, whitewalls were rarely seen on anything other than Vauxhall and Ford cars and American imports. The owner of a local garage had a metallic pink Chevrolet Impala, the one that looked as if a jet fighter had crashed into its tail. It certainly had whitewalls. I think he put some with the thin white line, Prof Gregory style, on my father's old Ford. They nicely disguised the height of the tyre, but still wore out in no time like all cross-plies of the time.

I'm not sure if any of this is helping Oxendine with his search for wheels. I had a look at some of the Chevy sizes. They are all the correct PCD. Centre bore and offset seem to go everywhere. Some of the older Chevy cars have very small offset - the middle of the wheel is too far in, which you can't correct with spacers.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
Glyn:
Actually, as this is a Canadian-market car sold new in Winnipeg in March 1966, the tires are period correct for the car as delivered in 1966. I seem to say this often, perhaps too often, but every Jaguar of every model delivered to Canada and the US was factory fitted with white wall/band tires until 1982. For that matter, MGB models were also delivered with white band tires until the 1975 uglification.

My car as pictured, however, does have one deviation from delivery spec, apart from the faux-Coombes spats. Any comments?
That has always been my understanding & all the scribes concur. ROW most countries, SA included, had plain black sidewall tyres fitted unless special fitment was requested & charged for. NA was always white sidewalls in this era. One of the reasons NA was late to receive radial tyres. Whitewall radials were originally not available & the US was late in adopting radial tyres period. (I can provide comment on this from Dunlop)

Your car has a quarter light fitted mirror that was not OE. I don't know how people can drive these cars without one (can't see if you have both sides). One of the first things I fitted to my S Type (clamp on so no drilling or chrome damage ~ only difference is I have mine mounted on the upright ~ it worked better for me there). I have a pair of correct wing mirrors for my car with all the correct stampings on them that I have not fitted because I'm unsure of their real usefulness & they get in the way when doing engine work.

BTW ~ colour in Huey's pic is either Beige or Heather ~ Lighting of a pic & exposure can do strange things to colour. Heather showed as more pink than that in daylight.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-24-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Glyn:

You are correct about the LH mirror on the Pale Primrose car not being OEM (and there is no mirror on the passenger side) but there is another thing which I have chosen to alter from Canadian Mk 2 specification and which shows clearly in the photo. It has never been commented on, even in the concours showings of this car. Kudos to the person who finds it.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Glyn:

You are correct about the LH mirror on the Pale Primrose car not being OEM (and there is no mirror on the passenger side) but there is another thing which I have chosen to alter from Canadian Mk 2 specification and which shows clearly in the photo. It has never been commented on, even in the concours showings of this car. Kudos to the person who finds it.
So many Canadian Mk2's arrived via the US or UK and so are not strictly to Jaguar's Canadian spec that it's hard to judge. Things that I've noticed are that many, though not all, Canadian Mk2s have orange front indicators rather than clear. It may be that clear came from the US or the Canadian authorities changed their rules after the first Mk2's arrived. As I know zilch about anything else on Canadian Mk2s, I'll leave fog lamps, antenna, wire wheels, spats and other parts to those who've spent more time there than I have .... Incidentally, I have some clear indicator lenses with orange bulbs, all non-standard, for my UK spec Mk2.

Last edited by Peter3442; 10-24-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Glyn:

Centre Vane of grill grafted from S Type?

Windscreen chrome is not visible even blown up but I think that is the Pic.

Bonnet/hood does not align at scuttle joint

Wiper arms are slightly different.

Your top of wing side lights could have been moved outwards slightly. yours white/clear, Huey's orange,

Front wheel arch less defined on your car.

Bumper overiders could have been moved slightly.

B Pillar Chrome profile can't be assessed due to lack of definition

Fograngers & and roof antenna were accessories available to all. Fograngers might not have been standard on Canadian cars but dummy horn grills instead

Your 3.8 badge is correct

Leaper seems right.

The trouble is that Huey's pic is far higher resolution

I've got square eyes ~ enough, Its probably staring us in the eye ~ take us out of our misery. Lack of resolution is a problem.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-24-2022 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Centre Vane of grill grafted from S Type?

Windscreen chrome is not visible even blown up but I think that is the Pic.

Bonnet/hood does not align at scuttle joint

Wiper arms are slightly different.

Your top of wing side lights could have been moved outwards slightly.

Front wheel arch less defined on your car.

Bumper overiders could have been moved slightly.

B Pillar Chrome profile can't be assessed due to lack of definition

Fograngers & and roof antenna were accessories available to all. Fograngers might not have been standard on Canadian cars but dummy horn grills instead

Your 3.8 badge is correct

Leaper seems right.

The trouble is that Huey's pic is far higher resolution

I've got square eyes ~ enough, Its probably staring us in the eye ~ take us out of our misery.

Sorry Glyn - nothing whatever on the body has been altered (except that the original rear spats have been removed and are in my study). Everything that you mentioon is 100% original and correct. The fograngers were standard on Canadian cars. The wipers are original, the sidelight pods are original and were not moved - the original clear lenses turn yellowy-orange with age. So I installed new sidelamp lenses. The bumpers were not altered. The roof antenna is the correct original. The grille badge is not only correct in colour - it is original and not cracked:

Rear Canadian spec amber turn signal lenses:

The grille is orginal, not modified in any way.
For the record, while US cars had red rear turn signal lenses and front clear lenses, the Canadian cars had the same rest-of-world amber signals front and rear. The alteration I made and which is visible in that photo is to the front signal lenses. The amber lenses do not play well with the (original) Pale Primrose colour. Here is a pre-restoration photo of this car - it doesn't look like it needs restoration, does it? when this photo was taken it had just 16,000 original miles on it (today: 27,650) but the paint was tired and everything that could leak, was leaking because of lack of use: Note that the wipers were fitted to park on the wrong side!!!!

ugh.

So I fitted the US-specification clear lenses, with amber bulbs. Much better:

However you did spot one irritation. The bonnet on the left side ONLY sits just a bit proud at the side (not at the cowl). You can see in the photo above that the right side is perfect. I have not played with it to see if it is just the rubber buffer that is at fault. The odd thing is that most often it closes with perfect alignment:

So the kudos go to Peter for spotting the clear signal lenses!

Last edited by sov211; 10-24-2022 at 07:23 PM.
Glyn M Ruck (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

It's the hinge. They are hell to get right. Due to play in the pins from new. It took us 2 days to get it right. Same side funnily enough.

So it was nothing really observable in the photo. Unless one knew Canadian cars which I don't. Sneaky!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-24-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

BTW you have a pretty nice grill with fairly even bar spacing. Jaguar or their grill supplier were notorious for getting the bar spacing uneven. I had my car & 2 donors & they were all rubbish. We searched until we found a grill with only 1 bar slightly out which my helper who is a master at metal work re-brazed & then cleaned it up perfectly before re-chroming.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-24-2022 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Wheel Options