MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

should i bug my rebuilder yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 09:13 AM
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

So what is the best procedure for retorquing the head ? Does one want to simply retorque each nut in turn per the order in the service manual ? Alternatively, should one loosen / remove each nut one at a time and lightly oil the stud threads before the retorque ?
Schmitty

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (06-22-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,149 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Yes, simply follow the initial torquing order in the service manual. That's necessary with the original style metal gasket, but with a modern style like the MLS gaskets made by Cometic retorquing isn't necessary.

Glyn M Ruck (06-22-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,320 Likes on 990 Posts

The service manual doesn't tell you to re-torque the head nuts. Still, it doesn't tell you not to do it and it tells you to remove nuts to fit lifting eyes. So it shouldn't do any harm and may be long term positive. I'd follow the standard order, centre out, one nut at a time, loosen about 1/3rd of a turn and re-tighten slowly but smoothly to target torque. It might be interesting to mark the initial nut orientation to see what difference it has made. I'd do this after a rebuild, not at any other time.

Glyn M Ruck (06-16-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 712 Likes on 511 Posts

I've always used grease on nuts/bolts to lubricate the threads to get an accurate torque.
The nuts/bolts should undue and do up easily with your bare hands, with or with out grease.

Any burs or damaged threads will affect the torque value.
I also apply grease to the face of the nuts/bolts and the washers they torque up against.
All of this is to allow proper slippage when torqueing to prevent galling on dry metal to metal contact.
A heavy oil will work, but grease is best, the grease stays put.

Glyn M Ruck (06-16-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,149 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffR1
I've always used grease on nuts/bolts to lubricate the threads to get an accurate torque.
What is important in a fastener is the stress developed in the material, which is force/area. Torque is used a proxy for the tensile force in the fastener, and there is a relationship between the developed stress, the torque and the coefficient of friction. Change the coefficient of friction, and the developed stress can change considerably.

This is important, as torque tables usually aim to bring the stress to 90% of the yield limit of the steel. Once the yield point is reached, then continued application of force results in permanent deformation of the steel, which isn't usually desired. Some modern cars do have "torque to yield" fasteners, but they are also single use. The studs in our Jaguars are not intended to be torque to yield.

One of my previous jobs was verification of the stress levels in fasteners for safety critical pressure piping joints. I attached strain gauges to the studs and then torqued them in the "as received" condition and then lubricated. The amount of stress developed is considerably larger in the lubricated test than the dry. Torque tables are always indented to be dry fasteners unless otherwise stated. If you do wish to lubricate the fasteners, you need to reduce the amount of torque you apply to obtain the same stress in the steel.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Glyn M Ruck (06-16-2024), Peter3442 (06-16-2024), S-Type Owner (06-19-2024), Schmitty (06-16-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:05 PM
Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
in reference to my post #100...

after much searching i bought two temp sensors. and today i installed one of them. good news is that the one that was in the car was registering about 20C too high. i suspected this on my trip back from the rebuilders and even more so after verifying that there was a 20C difference between the gauge on the dash an my laser gun's reading.

bad news is that neither of the new one really fit. both had too many threads on them. it seems the hole in the thermostat housing into which they thread is a blind threaded hole and they were bottoming out too soon. soooo, ended up buying a couple of copper washers as spacers. this effectively reduced the threaded portion. it's now water tight. and ya, it's a hack and i don't like it. but maybe i'll forget about it in a year or two.

FYI, the thread types of the old and new (the one i eventually installed today) temp sensors matched but their hex heads did not. the old one was whitworth and the new two were probably metric. and the one i bought from moss after personally talking to their representative on the phone to make sure i was getting the right one had so many threads on it, i never even tried to mount.

in any event, the car on this warm day ran very well, and engine temps never moved above about 85C. and no heat soak or vapor lock or hard starting after a number of short five to ten minute stoppages. oil pressure was about 20psi at idle and 45psi at speed on this hot day.

things to do yet:

1) fix horn doesn't work. i'm hoping it's a wire that was left loose when the engine was pulled/installed. plan on tracking it down with multimeter, a couple of jumper wires and my spare 12v motorcycle battery.
2) front bumper looks to sag as it wraps around the front fender towards the wheel well. can't decide if i'm imaging it or not.
3) the small, orange, translucent plastic thing-a-ma-jig on top of the left front turn signal is now missing
4) power brakes are sticking on, but will release of the brake pedal is lightly tapped. it's a priority.
5) stopped by mech's shop today and scheduled a hour session on his lift for next monday. purpose is to inspect for things that i've thus far missed and maybe a quick lube as there are lots and lots of old-school grease fittings under there.
6) need to change oil and filter now that i've got close to 1000 miles on the rebuild. i'll be doing that.
7) remove HUGE double snouted air cleaner in order to mount two smaller pancake ones to facilitate carb tuning access.

probably won't update any more on this thread. the rebuilder's are now out of the picture.

thanks to all who have contributed.!
Hey Huey, glad to hear my suspicions are confirmed re. your running temp. Fwiw, I got a good read on Robb when I consigned them to build my engine, and was pretty confident your sensor or gauge was lyin' to ya...plus, you made it back, which quite possibly wouldn't have happened were it really running that hot.

I received a crate containing my brand-spanking new engine 4 days ago, and both myself and my mechanic were blown away at how beautiful it turned out...I'm certain it will run perfectly as well.

Best of luck!

Glyn M Ruck (06-22-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:09 PM
Received 201 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Scott
Hey Huey, glad to hear my suspicions are confirmed re. your running temp. Fwiw, I got a good read on Robb when I consigned them to build my engine, and was pretty confident your sensor or gauge was lyin' to ya...plus, you made it back, which quite possibly wouldn't have happened were it really running that hot.

I received a crate containing my brand-spanking new engine 4 days ago, and both myself and my mechanic were blown away at how beautiful it turned out...I'm certain it will run perfectly as well.

Best of luck!
glad to hear it!

here's to hoping you're right