MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

So many MK2's, where to start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default So many MK2's, where to start!

This will be a slow documentary of the Jags I have in my possesion and the plans with what we will do to them.

The white one we have owned for a few years now, however not much has happened as i've been in the mines working the past 3 years away from the cars.

Its is an auto 3.8, numbers dont match though, and leaks oil from every possible orifice you can think of.
I have rebuilt the brakes, with 4 piston up front, spaced out to suit and a vh40 remote booster setup, new lines.
I resealed the final drive assembly and fixed the handbrake.
Rebuilt the carbs, cooling system and got it running, but never got around to tuning the carbs so it barely runs, and as i said, oil pours out of the trans and same with the engine, it was sitting for over 30 years, so I had planned on dropping engine/trans and resealing everything, then i left for work.

So just recently we came into posession of 2 more MK2 Jags and an S-type.

Firstly the one in primer, matching numbers and the previous owner did all the work about 5-10 years ago, not exactly sure to what extent, but it has been fully rust repaired, laser aligned panels, chassis has been aligned and straightened too.
The 3 1/2 litre has been rebuilt with higher comp lightweight pistons, balanced everything, headwork apparently, and the auto has been rebuilt too, they are just sitting on a shelf right now, with everything attached, my belief is that they were tested and operating outside of the car on a test bench, with how complete it is setup.

There is a new wiring loom in a box, the front seats are at a trimmers, and have been for ten years, getting rebuilt from the frame up, (i've got a small world story there too)

And the rest of that car is in boxes or sitting inside the car.

The hand painted maroon MK2 was white as can be seen from the flaking off top paint (under the layers of dirt), and is a matching number 2.4litre auto, is a complete car, condition isnt known just yet though.

Then we have the white S-type, it has a 4.2L in it and is manual, looks complete too, and again condition is unknown.

As of now, not much will be happening until we can get a shed space to put all these in, or design and build a decent shed space at home for all these, and more!

Current car list is long
I have a '99 500hp Skyline, a '90 E34 BMW as my daily, theres an '05 CBR600 road bike, an '85 XJ6 that will be a parts car for the MK2's, dads '06 Porsche Cayenne and a ski boat

So needless to say we need to sell off a few of our toys, or have one hell of a shed!

Attached Thumbnails So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3070.jpg   So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3232.jpg   So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3242.jpg   So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3228.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 PM

As of now, the plan is to restore the one in Primer to original state, probably salvage the best condition/restorable parts off the 3 to make that one the cleanest possible.

Then assess the condition of the other two, see whats required to either make another original one, or consider a hot rod (ish) build to another one of them, and go all out, custom modern front and rear ends to handle some power and wider tyres/wheels, something like an LS1 conversion or whatever comes up that looks like it will fit without too much work.
Keep the exterior stock, maybe lose some chrome, lower/wider, not too sure yet, just brainstorming.

As you can see in the first pic, that is a set of spare BMW wheels i had laying around, and with very little work made them fit, and other than sticking out a bit, they fit suprisingly well (16x8.5" et10) probably machine off 15mm to bring them in a bit if i was to keep them, interestingly both my 15" and 17" bmw rims didnt clear the brakes or the handbrake setup but these do.

I figure if i build one to original specs, the purists cant hate on me too much for turning another, non matching number one into something a little far from the norm.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:03 PM

Here's a few more pics

As you can see, surface rust is starting on the one in primer, so most likely a full strip down will be required again

Attached Thumbnails So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3231.jpg   So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3238.jpg   So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3240.jpg   So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3234.jpg   So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3239.jpg  

So many MK2's, where to start!-img_3237.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

You've got your work cut out for you that's for sure.

If you can get one of them back to "original", hot-rod another & if one has to be scrapped then that's still an outstanding effort...

Old 09-29-2014, 10:41 PM

Thats the plan, and i'll sell the S-type to recoup some costs, once i get it running and cleaned up.