New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

01 XK8 Electrical Fault in Shut Down

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 XK8 Electrical Fault in Shut Down

I’ve been experiencing a recurring problem for about a year now. I have looked through the forums many times and haven’t found my problem anywhere. I hope the moderator will direct me if I’ve overlooked something and am posting a new thread where this has been dealt with. If not, I hope someone can help.

My 01 XK8 has a new battery new alternator and some new wiring.

Each of those repairs fixed my problem for the short term but it keeps coming back.

Right now, I have the symptoms of those things having a problem, but I just had them rechecked again today even though they are all new in the last year and everything that has been done seems still fine. However my symptoms are just like that of the battery or alternator failing.

-My convertible windows do not put themselves back up always when I shut the door as they automatically should.

-About half the time when I turn the ignition off, she makes a clicking noise and the battery keeps draining. She will not power down fully.

-The only hack that I have found for this may seem crazy, but so far it works every time. I take the actual key and put it in the trunk keyhole and open the trunk. Then I open the ignition so that the battery is on but I do not crank it. I wait 30 seconds to 5 minutes. And then I slam the trunk as hard as I can and all the dash lights come on and everything resets. This allows me to turn the car off properly so that the next time I want to start her, the battery is not drained.

-As mentioned, this has been coming up throughout the last year and I have been replacing the items noted above (alternator, battery, wiring) and the car improves for a while and then the problem starts again.

-This last time now, the clicking noise has gone away, but she’s doing the same thing of not shutting down properly, just without the clicking to cue me. I have to realize each time that she has not shut down by the fact that she doesn’t ding when I take the key out or other usual noises and sights that would have normally been generated by the electrical system e.g. interior lights coming on, beep when I lock her with the key, etc. None of those things happen when she is faulting like this. So each time that happens I do my crazy hack.

Obviously I would like for this to go away. Our next guess is to swap out the fuse box. But if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Because otherwise, my baby runs like a demon!

Thank you for any help.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,303 Likes on 5,424 Posts

Hello,
I'm sorry you're having so many problems with your Jaguar. Someone will be along shortly to direct you to the correct section where you can get help for all this.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 09-16-2019, 08:45 PM
Received 10,513 Likes on 6,945 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

That is one ugly Gremlin living in your car.

I have no answer, but Graham may when the zones align better.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 PM
Received 3,965 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Welcome aboard....good luck.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:46 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 AM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums 01XK8,
Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 09-17-2019, 05:33 AM
Received 4,303 Likes on 3,720 Posts

welcome to the forum - when you remove the key from the ignition, there is a small flap/door in the ignition cylinder that is supposed to slide up about and cover about 3/4 of the keyhole. This puts the car in sleep mode. If this flap is sticking and not moving up like it should, you will have a constant drain on the battery. Check this when you remove the key. If it doesn't move up like it should put some powdered graphite in the keyhole and insert key, turn to pos 1 and back a few times to cycle the switch and get the graphite into the switch. Hope this helps Enjoy

The following users liked this post:
01XK8 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 05:11 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums 01XK8.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
01XK8 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@sklimii

Thank you for that suggestion. I do appreciate your help.

FYI, I did post this in the XK Section also a couple of minutes after I put it here. When I figured out posting in the site a little better ha ha.

When it is solved, I will let you guys know. Thanks again!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...2&goto=newpost