New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

1960 mk2 problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts
Default RE: 1960 mk2 problem

hello Mark, I have a 1965 'S' type (3.8 engine) and the original Service Manual specifies a 4 pound radiator cap, which was later changed to a 12 pound cap. Why? ...I have no idea but I think it was because the 4 lb. cap opened too soon allowing coolant to spill way too soon.

But you must be talking in different ratings, because you say "30" or "50", so I don't know what the Measurement is in Australia, but regardless, you can get a 12 pound STANT cap anywhere on earth.
STANT makes suitable caps with a pressure relief lever, so you can relieve the pressure before removing the cap. Try a 12 to 14 lb. cap

I installed a Recovery container in my 3.8 'S', very easy to do, though you might have to remove the entire radiator, and have a Radiator Shop install a "nipple" on the side of the radiator's cap "mouth", (if it doesn't have one already); Attach a suitable hose from the radiator mouth nipple down to the bottom nipple of a recovery container; (length of hose determined by where the recovery container is but the hose should be below/under the container), then another hose from the top nipple of the recovery container goes to "atmosphere", (a glorified word for "under the car"). This second hose is there just in case the recovery container gets so full of coolant that it needs to release it instead of exploding. Very simple. When the radiator/engine cools, it will suck the coolant in the container back into the radiator next time you turn the engine on.

Do a search in www.google.com for "radiator coolant recovery" (less the quotes), there is a guy who has a website using his MG-A to demonstrate how the coolant recovery works. If you cannot find it, I'll post a link to it. It is very educational.

regards & good luck!
Jose