New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

1987 XJ6 Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 XJ6 Air Conditioning

My A/C intermittently switches from Cold to Hot without any operator inputs, with the Temp setting still on Full Cold. Vacuum lines are secure with no leaks, coolant is full. Has anyone had experience with this anomaly?
Thank you

Old 09-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rolljk.

I'm glad you found us. It is good that you posted in the New Members section. Now, you should probably explore into the section for your car and be ready to learn a ton!

Last edited by JOsworth; 09-17-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Head on over and see what the XJ6 guys have to say about your gremlins.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

Originally Posted by rolljk
My A/C intermittently switches from Cold to Hot without any operator inputs, with the Temp setting still on Full Cold. Vacuum lines are secure with no leaks, coolant is full. Has anyone had experience with this anomaly?
Thank you

As guesses go the most-likely-by-far culprit is the amplifier. It's a $250-$300 guess, though.

The Jaguar service manual has a thorough (and thoroughly confusing) troubleshooting guide for the climate control. There are multiple tests and checks that you can perform....some of them only making sense if a "known good" amplifier is in place.

Anyhow.....

When the system self-changes the temperature do you hear the slight humming of the servo motor? You'll need to manually select Lo fan speed to hear it and, even then, listen carefully.

If you DO hear the servo motor it suggests that the servo "thinks" hot air is being requested and is dutifully obeying the request. If so this suggests a sensor or amplifier problem.

If the temp change occurs with no hummm from the servo motor it suggests that a problem is occurring independant of command central, so to speak.

In that case I (or in any case, really) I'd check the vacuum hose to the heater valve. The valve is designed so that vacuum holds it closed and lack of vacuum opens it. Your valve is obviously opening so make sure the vacuum hose is in good shape.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
rolljk (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 XJ6 Air Conditioning

Doug,

I'll try listening for the humming of the servo motor again; so far we haven't noticed that.

Thanks much!
Kevin

=====================================
1987 XJ6 Air Conditioning
Thank you

Originally Posted by Doug
As guesses go the most-likely-by-far culprit is the amplifier. It's a $250-$300 guess, though.

The Jaguar service manual has a thorough (and thoroughly confusing) troubleshooting guide for the climate control. There are multiple tests and checks that you can perform....some of them only making sense if a "known good" amplifier is in place.

Anyhow.....

When the system self-changes the temperature do you hear the slight humming of the servo motor? You'll need to manually select Lo fan speed to hear it and, even then, listen carefully.

If you DO hear the servo motor it suggests that the servo "thinks" hot air is being requested and is dutifully obeying the request. If so this suggests a sensor or amplifier problem.

If the temp change occurs with no hummm from the servo motor it suggests that a problem is occurring independant of command central, so to speak.

In that case I (or in any case, really) I'd check the vacuum hose to the heater valve. The valve is designed so that vacuum holds it closed and lack of vacuum opens it. Your valve is obviously opening so make sure the vacuum hose is in good shape.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers
DD