New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

1988 xjs v 12 class project locked steering column need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1988 xjs v 12 class project locked steering column need help!!

Hi,
I am teaching high school automotive repair class. One of my student's dad has an 88 jaguar that we are working on. We did front brakes and in the process the steering column locked and will not move. We have tried two different keys and have had NO LUCK. Can anyone give me any ideas, or even a diagram of the steering column? Its bad when they drive in and have to be flat bedded out. Thanks in advance for any help suggestions or ideas you have

Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 7,147 Posts

You won't find any diagrams of the inner workings of the column because it was never intended to be servicable.

However.....

You're in luck. The lock mechanism is external :-). It can be removed by drilling out the "shear bolts" on the underside of the bracket that incorporates the lock mechanism and ingition lock cylinder. You'll need to remove the trim panel on the underside of the dash to see all this. Easy...3 or 4 trim screws and 3 wires to disconnect at the dimmer switch which is mounted in the trim panel

Note that the electric function of the igntion switch is not compromised, as the electric switch fits onto the back of the lock cylinder and is independant of the lock mechanism

Have you tried jiggling the steering wheel while twisting the key?

Cheers
DD

Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

There you have it MsSherweood. Good luck to you and your students!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 AM
Received 6,304 Likes on 5,492 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ms Sherwood,

Let us know how you get on, how about a class picture?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum both to you and your class.

Have you tried asking 'the dad' how he unlocks it. Old cars seem to develop a character all of their own.

Doug's jiggling and twisting is worth a go, also try it with the key at different insertion depths, whilst jiggling and twisting.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Welcome to the forum Ms Sherwood,

Let us know how you get on, how about a class picture?
Thanks for all of the feedback and information. The dad just recently got the car, so there is no "correct" way to hold your head while trying to start the car like there was for my own Dad's Dodge back in the day...
We have started to work on the steering column. I had the students working on the car get all of the brake parts reassembled. They removed the underdash trim and I will be examining the steering column with a bit more knowing eye with Doug's suggestion in mind.
We are also doing a tune up on the car. We have the Jaguar OEM spark plugs and are trying to find an accurate description of how to get to all 12 of the spark plugs. I looked on the Forum and can find very little on the V12. The boys are just removing things as they follow the plug wires. This makes me a bit nervous since I can't watch this group every minute.

I have to ask if I can legally send a picture; I am new at teaching high school so I haven't got all of the details of the job figured out.

Thanks again for the advice, I will post next week about our successes (I hope)

Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi, for answers to specific questions, ask away over in the XJS section of the forum.

For more information about the XJS, download the great XJS Book by Kirby Palm. You will also find other downloads in the FAQ.

For TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) check out our download library, simply follow the instructions in the opening text to access a ton of information.

Hope this helps.

PS, a good idea would be to photograph things before the lads get their mitts on the tools. Don't ask how I know.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 7,147 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms Sherwood
Thanks for all of the feedback and information. The dad just recently got the car, so there is no "correct" way to hold your head while trying to start the car like there was for my own Dad's Dodge back in the day...
We have started to work on the steering column. I had the students working on the car get all of the brake parts reassembled. They removed the underdash trim and I will be examining the steering column with a bit more knowing eye with Doug's suggestion in mind.
We are also doing a tune up on the car. We have the Jaguar OEM spark plugs and are trying to find an accurate description of how to get to all 12 of the spark plugs. I looked on the Forum and can find very little on the V12. The boys are just removing things as they follow the plug wires. This makes me a bit nervous since I can't watch this group every minute.

One advantage of learning auto repair on an XJS V12 is that every car that follows will seem easy :-)

With patience the spark plugs can be removed with multiple combinations of extension and flex-joints. The forward-most plugs are very difficult as they are blocked by the air cond. compressor. Most V12 DIYers shift the compressor out of the way for access: two bolts at the rear, two bolts at the front, lift the compressor a few inches to reach the plugs...propping it up with something handy...like a screwdriver. Don't disconnect the a/c lines, of course. Lift the compressor just enough to reach the plugs.

The other method is the "clear the Vee". Remove the throttle pedestal, cruise control servo, distributor cap and wires. You'll now have EASY access to the plugs (except the front two, as mentioned) PLUS you can blow out all the debris in the spark plug wells, replace any deteriorated vacuum hoses, repair cracked wires and dirty connectors, and so forth. Lots of wires and hoses to tag and keep track of, though.

Either way it's a big job, and the XJS an excellent subject car to demonstrate the virtues of slow, deliberate, methodical work. :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 6,304 Likes on 5,492 Posts

Ms Sherwwod,

I have a feeling that you may need some further advice, so I've copied your questions and Doug's replies over to a new thread in the XJS section you can find it here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...project-62828/