New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

1996 X300 Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 10:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1996 X300 Dilemma

Back in the late 1970's my girlfriends Dad had a Daimler Sovereign VDP. I fell in love with the girlfriend who is now my wife of 33 years. I also fell in love with the VDP but never got to drive it. I stumbled across a 1996 XJ6 Base with 86,500 miles in fair condition but in dire need of power steering hose, tires and front wheel bearings which I now proudly own and enjoy driving after making the necessary repairs. I've subsequently found another 1996 XJ6 but this is the VDP and only has 79,000 miles. So "no brainer" sell the Base and buy the VDP?

Here's the dilemma:

Base: Reasonably straight body minor dings and scratches with shiny presentable paint.
VDP: Passenger side full length 1.5" wide scratch with associated dents in wheel arches and doors requiring bodywork and paint to make presentable. Minor front end damage that has slightly deformed leading edge of the hood and metal trim on bumper. Rear bumper corner also needs TLC beyond rubbing out.

Base: Runs and drives and stops well but seems to under perform even after professional tuneup.
VDP: Runs like a raped ape

Base: Fully functional moon roof
VDP: Closed but non-operational moon roof (no sound or movement)

Base: fully functional auto radio antenna
VDP: radio antenna stuck in up position

Base: CD Changer missing
VDP: CD changer present and appears functional

Base: Usable pitted with chip repairs windshield with no cracks
VDP: Significant crack but not in field of view so still legal to drive

Base: Adjustable steering wheel fully functional
VDP: Functional except up and down

Base: Two ignition keys and one functional fob
VDP: One key, one non working and worn fob (could be battery)

Base: I'm 6'5" and my hair touches headliner
VDP: Lots of head room

Base: Broken cup holder and glovebox
VDP: Both cup holder and glovebox in good shape

Base: Passenger power seat up/down not working (all other power seat controls OK)
VDP: All power seat controls working

Base: Clock faded to unusuable
VDP: Clock still functional

Base: Headliner sagging
VDP: Headliner still good

About $500 price difference between the two cars. I'm learning towards the VDP but realize I'll have to spend a lot on windshield and Paint/Body to be comparable to Base. Hoping Antenna and Moon Roof aren't too difficult to repair but also realize they could also add significantly to cost.

Sadly owning both cars isn't a realistic option so I have to choose!

Any insights, opinions and advice welcome to novice owner who prefers performance and comfort over appearance.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

Hello,
Someone will be along shortly to direct you to the correct section where members are able to advise you about the merits and demerits of each car, and what you can expect to pay roughly to get each one into presentable condition.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:26 AM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rodders,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Owning a VdP is something you've wanted for around forty years - you KNOW which way this is going to end. The only item on your list that would worry me is the roof. It could get expensive to fix.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/ to the X300 forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Northwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northwest-64/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-25-2017, 04:03 AM
Received 10,474 Likes on 6,917 Posts

Welcome.

My "no brainer" would be to keep them both, less stress in the long run.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Rodders,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you just need to decide which wheelbase you prefer.
But I'm confused. You open the thread stating you own and drive the base car, but by the end of the post you seem to be on the fence choosing which one to buy?
Grant has the ticket. Use both to make one "good" car and another lesser so.
Antenna can be mended for less than $50; Sunroof probably north of 10X that!

Old 10-30-2017, 10:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you all for the feedback all of which was very helpful. A second look at the VDP with "she who will be obeyed" and my mind was made up for me! We're keeping the base model and passing on the VDP. The VDP has a nice clean interior minus all the usual annoying cupholder/glovebox/sagging problems often seen, along with a great sounding CD changer, but the exterior has suffered multiple assaults from front rear and passenger side all of which looked expensive to fix. The black exterior of the VDP shows every blemish vs our more forgiving gold base model. Sad as I am to pass on the VDP and the extra headroom I'm also relieved that a decision has been made even though I needed some help to get there. If anyone is in the market for a 79K mile '96 VDP for $3000.00 who doesn't mind restoring the exterior please let me know and I'll pass on the owners contact info.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 03:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Thanks for coming back to let us know your decision. If in doubt with a Jaguar, it's best to walk away.

I'm sure you'll be tracking down more VdP's in the future. Good luck in your search.

Graham