New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

1997 XK8 Canadian Convertible, 43000 miles, 3rd owner, original V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1997 XK8 Canadian Convertible, 43000 miles, 3rd owner, original V8

Good Day from another new member,

I am based in Ontario, Canada. Three hours from Toronto, 1 hour from Windsor (across the river from the USA)
I have had the car about 4 months and would like to mention the current completed repairs for tourist reasons only
1. both low beam headlamps had been installed incorrectly and were burnt out. The previous owner had compensated by adjusting headlight aim and used the high beams instead.
2. It turned out that both motor mounts needed replacement - my mechanic was able to source new parts from Quebec.
3. The car had been in a low speed collision with the first owner - the insurance company decided to pay the car out and sent it to auction
4. The second owner has a repair business for such vehicles and did several repairs including new front grill / airbags and their sensors / new headlamp assemblies / hood repair / new timing chains for the engine /
/fresh Carnival Red paint / new tires (2% taller than original). He kept it for 11 years, putting less than 1000 miles per year on it.. He ran the car registration and insurance through his business, using a dealer license plate when driven. He did not indicate all the issues with the car, but the price was competitive for its condition and we fell for the car, so a deal was struck.
5. The radio antenna was damaged, with missing internal pieces. I opted for an aftermarket solution which did eventually work - after multiple repairs to the new unit
6. All the relays had to be reseated and their contact points covered with electrolight after a non-start issue with the starter relay.
7. The new battery posts were placed opposite to the original - solved with a longer positive cable, which allowed the hold down strap to be correctly installed.
8. The airbag warning light refused to go out - it turns out that after air bags are deployed the control module sets itself to shut down the airbag function, but allow the bus to operate to the other modules
in that circuit. The fix was to get a replacement module from an accident free car.
9. The washer fluid motor continually reported an empty reservoir - I have "temporarily " disconnected the signal wire from the pump.
10. All four speakers had deteriorated to the point of no return. Replaced the rear set and adjusted fade to avoid the ones in the door - now the sound is reasonable
12.An unusual problem with the horn. Every 4th time I turned the wheel for a hard turn, the horn would start to blow on its own. Rattling the centerpiece of the wheel would stop it.
I changed the clock spring mechanism - it transfers the signals from the wheel (radio and cruise buttons), referencing a tip suggesting it could have been damaged when the air bag was deployed.
No change , but it led to a thought. Each time I reinstalled the air bag assembly I ran the signal cable to the airbag in the center of the area; it turned out there was not enough clearance under the air bag assembly. Running the cable to the right allowed the assembly to seat correctly - previously it had been sitting slightly crooked which started to close the horn contacts.
13.The tilt motor for steering wheel adjustment runs, but the assembly that connects it to the mechanical portion of the assembly is broken - I was able to source a "new condition" part on EBay - currently the only available one in North America. Installed and working as of today
14 One outstanding problem - there is a minor check engine condition with no specific code given (at least to my obd reader). It seems to be preventing the cruise control from working. Referencing a tip, I often hear the throttle body motor running after turning off the car - the implication is that a good cleaning is in order. I may not get to it this year as winter storage starts Oct. 26.

If you have made it to the finish of this long note, thank you for your attention and time, The forum has already been a terrific source of information. I am most pleased to be a part of this site.

Last edited by Jpattr7; 10-23-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:20 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Jpattr7,

That was some "to do" list! It sounds like you've already found your way to the XK8/XKR forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:53 PM
Received 10,481 Likes on 6,921 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,217 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Hello,
We know where you'll be for the foreseeable future! In the garage working to resolve these problems, that's where.
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-24-2019, 06:12 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Jpattr7,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-24-2019, 06:50 AM
Received 4,281 Likes on 3,701 Posts

welcome to the forums - enjoy!!!!

Old 10-28-2019, 08:04 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.