New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

1st Jag

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017 | 10:44 PM
|
Default 1st Jag

Hi all,
I'm Brandon. I live in Leschenault, Western Australia.
Fell in love with the series 3 sovereign when I was 17 and in lust with the series 2 the following year.
Both XJS, both 4.2 six petrol.
But for 2 different, very different reasons.
The sovereign is about style, class and an elegant ride. About a month ago, I swapped a Ford territory worth around $3000 for an 84 sovereign and $400 cash. She had a few little issues, but they're just about sorted, thanks in the main to some of the crew here, and 2 biggies, 1 is very minor cancer, but I'm a blacksmith and boilermaker so that's no real drama for me, and a tap that I'll sort when I do the head gasket. I'm going to bring her back to full glory, as original as possible except for the timber work. The veneer needs replacing, so I'm changing it to Huon Pine, French polished. While I'm doing the head, I'll check the bottom end and do whatever needs doing. Re upholster the seats, and wash the carpets.

The series 2, well I'm sorry, but the jag motor, box and quite a bit will make way for my dream project.
Started out, oh so long ago, as a 350 chev, but, if I could do it today, would have a blown, stroked LS3. With all the fruit. Yep, a monster, louder than something really loud and faster than something even louder!
But that's a dream for then.
For now I'm enjoying my 3.
​​​​​​​

Old 04-21-2017 | 02:50 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Brandon,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I know you've already found your way to the XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

The Australian climate is much kinder to 1970's and 80's XJ's than ours in the Northern hemisphere where most have long ago succumbed to terminal rust. The downside in Australia seems to be the interiors where both leather and wood dry and crack which is presumably the case with your Sovereign.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the Australia - Western Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ia-western-96/
to find other members in your region. We're an international forum so it helps to show 'Location' in your profile. It will then appear at the top right of all your posts.

Good luck with your projects and enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 04-21-2017 | 03:38 AM

Welcome.

Old 04-21-2017 | 06:58 AM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 04-21-2017 | 07:43 AM

Welcome aboard from the East Coast Brandon.

Old 04-21-2017 | 12:14 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Brandon,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 04-21-2017 | 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hello, Brandon,
Congratulations on your 2-of-a-kind!
Your project sounds absolutely like a whole lot of fun! I hope it goes well for you.

I'll look for you over in our Xj6 playpen.
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 04-21-2017 | 04:42 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-21-2017 | 10:57 PM
|

Thanks all.
The timber is fine, but the laquer has had it and whilst the seats could be better, they're OK until I remove the leather to use as patterns when I re upholster.
Aside from that all original carpets in fantastic condition. All trims spot on, basically, not too much to do.
Am waiting for adhesive to dry on the new headlining as I type.
​​​​​​​