New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

2001 XKR Convertible - Carnival Red/Ivory - Reno, Nevada - w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019 | 11:04 AM
|
Default 2001 XKR Convertible - Carnival Red/Ivory - Reno, Nevada - w/ pics

2001 XKR Convertible - Carnival Red/Ivory - Reno, Nevada
Acquired last summer as a rolling restoration project.
While mechanically quite sound, it was neglected by a previous owner and requires lots of cosmetic work.

Previous Jaguars: 1964 silver Daimler V8, 1974 red XJ6 Coupe, 1980 brown Daimler XJ6

Wrenching and Racing with Mighty Roar Jaguar Racing Team (1953 XK120 & 1961 MkII) out of Golden Colorado, in the 1990s.
On the grid at the Steamboat Springs Vintage Races

Last edited by GGG; 03-09-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Add "- w/ pics" to thread title
The following 4 users liked this post by sanchius:
GGG (03-08-2019), LnrB (03-08-2019), Norri (03-08-2019), o1xjr (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019 | 12:16 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums sanchius,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-08-2019 | 12:46 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum sanchius,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. Great Intro. You should have kep the XJ Coupe. They are going to be the valuable ones of the range.

Follow this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Western Region forum by following this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 03-08-2019 | 01:59 PM

Welcome aboard.

Old 03-08-2019 | 08:00 PM

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 03-08-2019 | 09:25 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Old 03-08-2019 | 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums form ElinorB.
(';')

Old 03-09-2019 | 05:17 AM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 03-09-2019 | 09:01 AM
|

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum sanchius, Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. Great Intro. You should have kep the XJ Coupe. They are going to be the valuable ones of the range.
Thanks for the kind welcome.

Yes, I really liked that XJ Coupe, equally for its performance, its handling and its classic pillarless design that was one of the last designed by Sir Lyon.
I had sourced a set of sleek euro-bumpers to complete its intended design, but didn't install them after seeing some crash video of non-reinforced bumpers.
The PO had upgraded the transmission to a GM unit with a shift kit that did a very nice job of putting the all power onto the road with firm shifts.
I had hand-rebuilt the XK engine with a mild compression with the intention of eventually introducing a supercharger for the altitude.
But a few months later, a very large buck deer unsuccessfully tried to jump over it in one of the canyons outside of Boulder, Colorado and did significant damage to the windshield/roof interface.
It was a close call and I counted myself extremely lucky that he didn't come through the windshield and land on top of me, struggling, with me pinned under a sheet of broken glass laminate.
I don't do bodywork and my focus was shifting to vehicles with some combination of AWD, forced induction and convertible roofs.
So I passed the XJ Coupe on to a Jaguar collector who appreciated it, restored it and still drives it in Denver.

Graham, I was hoping that more of these new member introductions included that crucial picture of their vehicle, but so many don't.
Is it possible for me to edit the title of this thread to add " - w/ pics" to the end to indicate that it contains pics of my Jag?
Other forums I am familiar with either have an automatic icon that indicates the presence of an image or allow the author to edit the thread for a short period after posting. However, I don't see an "Edit this thread" button anywhere.
If I can't edit the title, can you add that bit to the end? It might encourage others to do the same.
I know it's a win just to get new members to post anything for the first time, but you might consider adding some words to your standard set of new member instructions encouraging them to include a picture of their Jag(s) in their introduction post.
Thanks...

Old 03-09-2019 | 02:40 PM
GGG

When the XJC was a current model it was the one I really wanted but I had to settle for a succession of XJ6's and one XJ12. I never did get an XJC and now they are extremely rare and expensive in the UK.

You had a lucky escape with the deer. Some members have posted photos of the damage to their vehicles after similar encounters and they certainly appear to do serious damage.

I've edited the title of your thread to add "- w/ pics". The edit button is available to members for a few hours to allow corrections to a post content but titles can only be amended by moderators. We had problems with some members re-writing history after receiving replies and that's why the restriction is in place.

It's rare to get detailed Intro posts from newbies and few manage to add photos at the first attempt. Pleased when we get an Intro with the basic vehicle and location information from many and delighted when we get a well composed Intro from a tiny minority.

Graham