New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

2003 S-TYPE R......one month into it review

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 S-TYPE R......one month into it review

Hello All. Well, I'm into my 2003 S-Type R for a month now and figured I would offer a write up including the good, the bad and the ugly.

I was in the market for an upgrade for my 1998 Maxima SE. I (tastefully I think) upgraded just about everything but the body and rims...intake/exhaust, springs/struts, brakes, etc and honestly, almost every mod added to the car's NVH...which was getting a little old (wife would barely drive it anymore).

Began the journey of trying to determine what to buy next. I'm turning into a bit of a obsessive compulsive lately regarding big purchases and the level of research I put forth before buying a big-ticket item (ie LCD TV, refrigerators, etc).

In the end, after weighing cost and practicality (40 years old with 2 little ones) there were 4 cars that fit the proverbial bill...the E46 M3, E39 M5, Mercedes W210 E-55, or the S-Type R. Each car seemed to have it's own con's. For example, the M3 only comes in a coupe (not kid friendly), and the M5 only comes with a manual trans (not wife friendly). The E55 is a great car but the older style is definitly looking a bit dated. Plus the new E-class was just released, the W210 is now two body styles old.

This jeft the Jaguar S-Type R. Although I was bit nervous about the combination of british electronics and a ford powertrain I decided to start the search. Ideally, I would shoot for a Quartz/Dove (so tired of black leather) 2003-2004 with touchscreen GPS. One day after subscribing to the Autotrader alert within a 500 mile range, I got an e-mail for a new listing 25 miles away. 2003 S-Type R, 45K miles, platinum with dove, no nav. Needless to say, I started to feel a little under the weather that morning at work. An hour or so later, I was test driving the Jag.

First impressions were quite good. the car looked to be a perfect 10. Not a scratch, dent or ding. Interior was spotless, and the engine bay looked immaculate and the tires had full tread depth. The car had a built in K40 radar with laser jammer ($1,500), integrated i-pod interface and XM receiver. Needless to say, I took delivery of the car the next afternoon. What sealed the deal was the asking price, which was a solid $5K cheaper than any other S-Type R within 750 miles. I honestly believe the dealership did not select the "R" trim package when setting the pricing based on Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book.

Well, I'm into the car for a month now. During that time, just about every common issue pertaining to these cars has reared it's ugly head. This would include the headlight auto-leveling issues (still working on the screw fix), transmission lurch (you can work around it once you have a feel for the downshift algorithm), the headliner is sagging (hmm.....didnt notice this one at the dealer), the key fob remote works perhaps 25% of the time. My wife hit a puddle the other morning during a monsoon which threw the car into limp home mode. I'll silicone the TPS/MAF harness after this blizzard rolls out of here. This brought her confidence in this car down to, oh, the 10-15% level now. I was forced to use the Jag in a 3 inch snowfall last week (the battey in the maxima was dead). After slipping and sliding 3/4 to work on the crap Nexen N3000 summer compound tires, I got the infamous ABS/DSC unavailable engine light. I probably overloaded the system, or got some snow on the rear ABS module which ties into the traction control.

Sure sounds like a lot of exitement packed into five short weeks. So if I had to do it all over again, would I have walked away from this car?

Hell no......I will sort all these bugs out one by one, and when I'm done, I will be left with one unique, classy, bad-*** sport sedan for less than half the price of a new Malibu....

Old 02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome Edimartino; Nice write-up. High performance car on Summer tyres in the snow, at least now you know.

Look forward to the pics when you are able.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, nice nitro opppss I meant intro
Congrats and enjoy the forums

Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea those are all simple fixes you have there.....Hope you get some pleasureable time with your STR as much as the rest of us.....Dont worry spring time is coming and it will be A LOT more fun!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy Edimartino

Welcome to the forum! Great intro on your S. Winter will end soon and you can get that kitty out. Looking forward to some pics!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi edimartino, welcome to the site
Great intro and full of info too.....lookin forward to future posts and pics

Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Great attitude edi! Wife will feel better in the summer time, if not, more driving time for you. You know how women drive in poor weather, probably went full steam into a gulleywasher, expecting amphibian response from the car. Kinda reminds me of how they feel about speedbumps...they often think the cars suspension is designed to handle those at normal speeds! irks me when I see that.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!

Most of those are easy fixes...

My car rides on Pilot Sport A/S which are awesome in the winter, my DSC unavailable light came on during the first snow and a speed sensor replacement fixed that...

I've had a lot of small issues to deal with and one major (ABS Module which my aftermarket warranty took care of) but for the most part I've been surprised by how much I love the car...especially with the cars I am coming from...