New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Advice for a new member...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Advice for a new member...

Hello all, looking for some honest advice for a member who is not yet a Jaguar owner. In fact, this deficiency is the first and main reason why I'm here for now.

I've been doing research online (primarily) as much as possible and I'm getting mixed signals about Jaguars. First, it seems that people who love these cars... really love these cars. It's probably a very good bet that most of you fall into this category. On the other hand, I've read some downright nasty comments from people who have had bad experiences with them on sites like Edmunds, KBB and Cars.

My regular mechanic, who says he has about a dozen customers who have Jaguars, has been an ear to some of my concerns as well.

I've been looking at S-types mainly. There are 3 S-type cars available through used car dealers right now that are within 30 miles of my home. One is a 2003 3.0 (gold/tan) with 103,000 miles at $5,000. Another is a 2005 4.2 (blue/gray) with 106,000 miles at $5,000, and the third is also a 2005 4.2 (red or burgundy/ivory) with 126,000 miles at $4,000.

The Car Fax reports on all are clean and good. Cosmetically, they all look almost new and range from "very clean to immaculate". Furthermore, they all have beautiful leather interiors and moon roofs with premium sound.

In judging the purchase prices of these cars, if you conclude that I am NOT a rich man, you'd be right. But, since a teenager I have always loved the look of Jaguars and it has been my restrained dream to own and drive one some day.

I will be 65 a little later this year and I'm a somewhat conservative individual. If I put more than 10 miles a day on my car... I've driven a lot that week. And, I also like to keep my cars as long as possible.

I have two cars now, and the one I'm NOT replacing is a 1985 Nissan 300ZX turbo. It's my "fun" car and has been a good back-up to my '95 Acura Legend 3.2... which is the car that has just too many expensive problems to fix.

I've been told by several people that I would be better off getting into a BMW Series 5 or a Mercedes Benz E class than almost any Jaguar. My big concern is the reliability of a Jaguar, and here again I get mixed reviews. I've been told they are "temperamental" and expensive to fix when they require repair.

On the other hand, my mechanic tells me in his experience they are no less reliable than any other car, and no more expensive (the ones built when Ford owned the company) than any other car he's repaired or fixed.

I can't get any of the 3 S-types I described above out of my mind. So, is becoming a Jaguar driver a good idea for me based on the info laid out here, or am I more likely to be buying a money pit? I would appreciate any insight or guidance offered no matter how honest it is. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
GoodWins62 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 06:04 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum AzRon,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

The most important thing to consider when looking at any used Jaguar is service history. It should be complete and preferably backed up with a thick file of paperwork. A well cared for Jaguar is a pleasure to own - a neglected one can be a money pit.

Follow this link S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You can also visit the US Southwest Region forum by following this link US Southwest - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
AzRon (01-11-2016), PWB (02-03-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

AzRon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by AzRon

On the other hand, my mechanic tells me in his experience they are no less reliable than any other car, and no more expensive (the ones built when Ford owned the company) than any other car he's repaired or fixed.
Your mechanic is correct. Repair costs are similar to other cars in it's class, not similar to a Ford Focus.

AzRon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 04:39 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

AzRon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:35 AM
Received 6,324 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums AzRon,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

AzRon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 10,511 Likes on 6,943 Posts

Welcome.

A used car is a used car, and ALL used cars are/were moved on for a reason, or reasons.

Graham has touched on it.

I always suggest, when asked, to DRIVE them all, and I mean DRIVE them, at least 50 miles (since you are Imperial), and leave the sound system OFF. Listen, and LISTEN some more.

Get a FEEL for the car/s.

These cars ALL have "sealed for life" transmissions, and that is a bad phrase, and the fluid is now recommended to be changed at ABOUT the 80K mile mark.

Soooooo, when looking over the service scribbles, ask the question, and if the answer is "I dont know", or "Its a sealed unit", do the maths on getting that fluid changed on DAY1 of ownership of the new toy, OR, move on to a car that has had it done, and that would seriously indicate a "JAGUAR owner" had this car.

Both mine had the paperwork showing fluid change, but when I got them home and dropped it myself (nosey bugga I am), I knew it was a lie. They are OK, NOW.

AzRon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 07:03 AM
Received 4,302 Likes on 3,719 Posts

Welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

AzRon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and useful info. The S-Type board is a gem. Hope I'll be doing this behind the wheel of a Jag soon...

Old 01-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,864 Posts

Welcome aboard.

AzRon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 04:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Your intrigue with Jaguar is valid and your concerns resonate with me. I am in Hawaii. My Exotic XK8 E Type 2004 Red with Black interior convertible purrrrred and I loved it. UNTIL Jag Honolulu said no warranty coverage on Big Island Hawaii only Oahu where I purchased it. So called experienced Jag mechanics have returned my Jag to me in worse condition each time than when it went in. I agree with your mechanic. If you live in a area other than Hawaii once Ford took over a reputable mechanic can keep it humming. I just reviewed my invoices since Nov/2014. about $17,000.00 and it still is not fixed. Maybe it's Hawaii. I'm thinking of moving. Sick of being gouged. As a widow my attorney said they have been treating me like a dumb blonde. They convinced him however it was me and I took it back for them to fix what they broke and got a bill as usual $1000.00 more than original quote, drove away, still not fixed and other things not working. I had a new 1997 C230 Mercedes for 12 years. Never a problem. A boyfriend destroyed it in a few months. So I made him buy it. Sure miss that solid Benz n thinking I have to trade in my Jag for a C250 Sedan, certified preowned, no more than 8k miles.Would LOVE a E class but can't afford it. Never had a BMW. Could you ask your mechanic if I should go for a 2014 Benz with rear camera for $28K or BMW? My Jag was worth $25K a couple years ago but this place has taken it down to 10K. Bought it with 6200 miles mint for 60K, drove smoother than new $107,000 2006 XK8's. But have sunk at least $40K into it once warranty was up. Again, it hummed and loved going at least 90, but mechanics gouged me for at least 30K in last 2 years and it still is not right. So if you want a hobby in fixing your own Jag I'd say Go for it. I am a petite female, don't drive much and need a car that won't take my retirement ! It is soooo hard as it is beautiful, unique, and I've wanted one since a little girl in England. Not sure what to do. What do you think?

Old 01-31-2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by GoodWins62
Hi, Your intrigue with Jaguar is valid and your concerns resonate with me... Could you ask your mechanic if I should go for a 2014 Benz with rear camera for $28K or BMW?... Not sure what to do. What do you think?
Have had a couple of conversations with two savvy mechanics about European cars at my favorite shop who I think are very good. They were both down on German cars. They said most people seem to think that when you put 120,000 to 150,000 miles on a Mercedes or BMW, you're just breaking it in. They're seeing fairly serious, but always costly problems with both makes in the 80,000 to 90,000 mile range on a frequent basis. It seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

As far as Jags are concerned, they both mentioned problems that seem, based on what I've learned on this forum, are largely confined to pre-2003 Jaguars. They had no issues with them otherwise, and suggested that if I wanted one and found a great value to go for it.

However, they also said that if I wanted to see them less, and worry less about encountering frequent repair bills, I should pursue Toyotas (Lexus), Nissans (Infiniti) and Hondas (Acura).

I have a great '85 Nissan 300ZX Turbo and can attest to Nissan being a good make, as I've had it 17 years with no major issues at all. But, I'm really interested in pursuing a Jaguar for a primary car. And, I'm still in the hunt.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

My advice would be to purchase the best Jag you can afford. Follow the tips others mentioned for test-driving them and things to look for. Don't put too much faith in CarFax; some of the worst cars I've ever owned had the cleanest CarFax reports. Personally, I would try to buy from an authorized Jaguar dealer rather than a used car lot, but whether it's really any better is open to question. I've never owned a Mercedes, but I have owned a couple of BMW's and I wouldn't swap my Jaguar for two BMW's.

Dwayne

AzRon (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodWins62
Not sure what to do. What do you think?
Understand that your difficulties are with an incompetent garage, not a poorly built or designed car.

As suggested in your other threads, stop spending money and go see a lawyer.