New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Allow me introduce myself - TOGWT

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Allow me introduce myself - TOGWT

Allow me introduce myself
My style of detailing is "Art meets Science." The Science - includes such elements as chemicals, equipment, and knowledge of vehicle surfaces, industry standards, and customer requirements. The Art - is the activity of combining these elements into the proper application methodologies that produce an aesthetically pleasing outcome for each specific situation.

I began detailing Mercedes-Benz / BMW helping out at my Father’s dealership where we would spend three or four days or more detailing vehicles, this included paint renovation, leather repair and restoration on both classic automobiles and Concours level vehicles. As well as his Jag collection, which back in the late 50's he used to enter in Concours d’éléganceevents and as such I’m used to a large number of high-end new and used cars. The one thing I learned (and still have that last 98% to learn, mind you) way back then still holds true today “ It’s the surface preparation that makes the difference, not the product”.

Having been involved in detailing some of the world’s finest classic and high-end exotic and luxury automobiles for five decades TOGWT is the first place both Professional and Enthusiast detailer’s look to for an uncompromising level of unbiased technical and scientific knowledge. Working closely with the industry’s leading-edge product manufacturers from around the world means the best technology and product advice is available to enable you to care for your automobile.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with, employed by, have any vested interest, or in any way receive compensation from the sale or distribution of any of the product lines reviewed or the company that manufactures or markets it. No endorsement of companies or their products mentioned is intended, nor is criticism implied of similar companies or their products if they are omitted.

I have tested and / or used the product s, so the recommendation comes from firsthand knowledge of their use and / or its application methodologies. Any product endorsement is entirely unbiased and means that the product “Does what it says on the tin”

A close relationship with readers and a thorough command of the technical and chemical developments that affect detailing have been at the core of my philosophy since 1980. My only agenda is the dissemination of accurate, unbiased information; it is my intent to educate, based on five plus decades of experience; “Experience is said to be the best teacher” passing on to my readers the dynamics that take place; the cause and effect, as well as an explanation of the scientific terminology and chemicals involved with detailing products. I hope to be an asset to anyone who is new to detailing and to both the professionals and enthusiast detailer’s who seek to advance their knowledge of detailing

As a hobbyist / semi professional detailer working on the renovation of classic cars and everyday transportation vehicles along with five plus decades of knowledge and experience of detailing to Concours d’élégance level as both entrant and senior judge. I’ve been providing unbiased opinions that professionals, experienced, enthusiast and neophyte detailer’s use and trust on various leading detailing forums in the United States, UK, Canada, South America, Australia, South Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Scandinavia and the EU for about twelve or so years

It was through these early interactions with car forum members that I began to see the same questions asked over and over again. To relieve myself of the repetition, I decided to create a series of articles covering the most frequently asked questions, which would help detailers reach an intelligent and logical understanding of the many chemicals, products and their application methodologies used in detailing and in a way that makes it relevant to them.

With a background in the physical and chemical sciences (earned a Ph.D (professional doctorate) in Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology from Imperial College London and graduated from an MBA program with an MSc Business Administration and Strategy from the London School of Economics plus more than four decades in polymer R&D and the chemical and performance coatings industry for both the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) utilizing polymer technologies radar scattering materials (RSM).

Of course the more I learn, the more I realize what I don’t know. Then at some point, I hope to have learned enough to realize, that I know nothing at all [We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master] Ernest Hemingway. I have always tried to find out not just “How it works, but also “Why” it works. With that in mind I probably respond with more detail than some think is necessary.

The old grey whistle test (TOGWT) is the author of “Automotive Detailing; Inside and Out”, a knowledge base for the perfectionist and a 136 articles that form the i series “The Technical Detailing PapersI try to write in a way that helps the reader to understand not only "How" to do something, but "Why" they are doing it, along with the technical, scientific facts and any chemical and other relevant information. I am also a regular five-year contributor to the Wikipedia encyclopaedia and a ‘ghost’ writer for various automotive publications as well as contributing to various Auto magazines and publications.

If you’ve read any of my forum posts / threads you'll already understand just what I mean. I only attempt to share well researched, validated information, not conjecture or opinion, but it is up to the individual as to what they choose to do with it. In the final analysis; it’s your vehicle, your hard earned money and ultimately - your choice

I then considered how I could simplify things; however the only way to accomplish this would be to omit necessary information and that didn’t feel right to me. Improperly used chemicals can cause damage to the person using them and to surface they are applied to (sometimes irreparably) because the detailer did not have sufficient information of the possible adverse affect of the chemicals in the products they use.

I detailed my first car when I was fourteen (a mere five plus decades ago) it was a 1929 Bentley “Blower Super 8” that belonged to my Fathers friend Brigadier John Dix of Kensington, London. If, as they say, "God is in the details," then a 1929 Bentley is truly a religious experience. I knew then that detailing would become a passion and my métier, testing products, teaching people, writing detailing articles, talking detailing, etc

My garage - Jaguar XFR V8 Stratus Grey ’10- Audi S8 4.2 Night Blue Pearl '08 - Mercedes 380SL Beige '84

It has always been a relaxing past time for me and while at college I had a part-time business detailing classic vintage cars. From there to Concours d’élégance entrant then judge, and then on to writing car care articles and How-to: instructions, then writing a series of books on my favorite subject I soon realized this would be my métier.

Focusing on one person’s methodologies or the products or tools they use will seriously limit your detailing experience and knowledge. Most importantly - choose carefully whose advice you listen to, and more importantly what advice you act upon.

The misinformation and myths that are so prevalent on the Internet and in the detailing industry is the reason that detailers need to do research on their own. I would strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you.

· Detailing Bloghttp://togwt1980.blogspot.com
· Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000106443103
· RSS Feed -http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/atom.xml

I have authored a 400 page book "Automotive Detailing; inside & out, a knowledge base for the perfectionist", and a series of 136 technical papers “The Art &Science of Detailing” PhD(tailing) college-level material that is easily understood and very informative

Chances are you'll learn something and advance your knowledge of detailing if you read any of these. Reading these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

Last edited by Togwt; 01-30-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Well after going through the above article and reading one or two on your blog spot, you don't appear to be selling anything, but offer what seems to be technical advice about various aspects of paint and fabric finishes used on vehicles, together with general vehicle preventative maintenance.

Welcome to the forum, I am sure that some members will read your articles with interest.

Although I have not seen any, please remember, no commercial links, but a link to your personal non commercial website in your signature is generally OK.

Good to have your knowledge available to us.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hello, we have other detailing experts too
You can check in Detailing Forums to share your experience as well

Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Welcome TOGWT, I appreciate the input on my 'leather stiching' thread. I for one, admire detailer's patience and hard work to get the results you do. The experience with various products definitely helps us laypeople who can often get confused by all the marketed detailing items out there, and then trying to keep track of the different colors for those DA pads...well, it can be overwhelming.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Welcome to the forum TOGWT,

I think you win the prize for most comprehensive intro.

I shall check out some of your tips for sure.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you mods for your welcome, with five decades of detailing experience I hope to become an asset to this forum

When I first started writing these detailing guides I realized that it would be very detailed (no pun intended) because of my penchant to include not just “How it works, but also “Why” it works, as well as an explanation of the scientific terminology. With that in mind I probably respond with more detail than some think is necessary. But try to write in a way that helps the reader to understand not only "How" to do something, but "Why" they are doing it. I then considered how I could simplify things; however the only way to accomplish this would be to omit necessary information and that didn’t feel right to me

Reading these article will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.