New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Alow myself to introduce... myself.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 07:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alow myself to introduce... myself.

I may be jumping the gun a bit, as my car hasn't even arrived yet but I am now almost a Jaguar owner! I recently won an auction on Bring-a-Trailer for a 1989 XJ-S V12 that's a bit of a "fixer-upper", but unlike my other project cars this one actually runs at the moment . It has some needs and the paint has seen better days in the close-up photos, but otherwise it seems pretty solid mechanically. My home is in South Carolina but I currently work in Bahrain, and I'm hoping to ship the car out here to begin working on "the list" and gradually freshen the car back up, along with some mild updates and upgrades that enhance the car (rather than do too many changes that change its character).

I've got a fairly varied ownership history, and I've worked on an even wider variety of cars both professionally before my career change and in helping my numerous other gearhead friends work on their projects as well. I look forward to tinkering with the Jag (the "Jaaag"?) and so far I've already benefited from some of the info posted in these forums!

P.S. This should count as post #10, which officially unlocks the PM functionality, enabling me to ping another member to see if the wheels he had for sale a year and a half ago are still available.

Last edited by Jsquared; 08-18-2023 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't edit the typo in the thread title... d'oh
Old 08-18-2023, 10:10 PM
Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

good luck with the project, be interesting how much the transport to you is.........for some helpful info try this site>>
www.jaguar-wiring-schematics.info

The following users liked this post:
Jsquared (08-19-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 01:51 AM
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Jsquared (08-19-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 02:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsquared
I may be jumping the gun a bit. .....

P.S. This should count as post #10, which officially unlocks the PM functionality, enabling me to ping another member to see if the wheels he had for sale a year and a half ago are still available.
Welcome to the forums Jsquared,

Deliberately increasing a post count like that is NOT acceptable. I've removed 7 of them.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

I can see you've already found your way to the XJS forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...r-atlantic-66/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 08-19-2023, 05:59 AM
Received 10,481 Likes on 6,921 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Jsquared (08-19-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 06:49 AM
Received 4,281 Likes on 3,701 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Jsquared (08-19-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,218 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Hello,
As you are an Experienced automotive mechanic, you'll have a Lot of fun with your new XJS V12!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Jsquared (08-19-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 12:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums Jsquared,

Deliberately increasing a post count like that is NOT acceptable. I've removed 7 of them.
I was under the impression that commentary in the Off Topic threads, and particularly the running joke/gag threads, was OK for noobs. Pardon if that was not the case. Since the car isn't even here yet, there's not much else for me to talk about, and most of what I'm trying to find out is stuff that I've been finding in the XJ-S stickied threads and FAQs so asking a question that's already covered would be redundant.

And I really do want to buy those wheels if they're still available 😅

Last edited by Jsquared; 08-19-2023 at 12:47 PM. Reason: me want wheels
Old 08-19-2023, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

You're right. Most everything that can break and be repaired on 20+ year old Jaguars has already been asked and answered a bazillion times. I'm on another car forum that almost died out by the twenty-teens because us old timers (we started as a paper newsletter in the 80s, email listserv in the 90s and became a forum in 03) were snapping at anyone who asked a redundant question. We even had one of these kind of emoticons that said "Please use Search" or something to that effect. Problem was us grumpy old geezers had almost nothing left to talk about amongst ourselves (eventually we realized we NEEDED newbies to keep it interesting.

However, I haven't seen much of that here on the Jaguar forums. Most users here are very patient with newbies. Still, when I came here, my experience there had me afraid I'd be pelted with little plastic keys for asking a redundant question so my strategy to get my post count up was to post a welcome to other newbies in their intro threads, especially if they were from Texas like me. To actually contribute something (not just an insincere welcome), I'd post about an upcoming local British car show or a link to the local Jaguar club website.

So welcome aboard. Good luck with the purchase, shipping, etc. Oh, and good luck getting those wheels you want.

Last edited by pdupler; 08-19-2023 at 01:37 PM.
LnrB (08-20-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 04:08 PM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Jsquared,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 08-19-2023, 06:11 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsquared
I was under the impression that commentary in the Off Topic threads, and particularly the running joke/gag threads, was OK for noobs. Pardon if that was not the case. .....
It is.

What is not OK is using it to circumventing the minimum post requirement for full membership. We get a lot of spammers who do exactly this and it's the reason we have the restriction. If you hadn't also posted a convincing Intro, the result would have simply been an immediate and permanent ban.

Graham