New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Another new member from Portland, Oregon!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Another new member from Portland, Oregon!!!

Hello Jaguar friends!

I guess I’ve always been fond of British cars, starting with the Nash Metropolitan (made in England with all British parts except American-spec headlights and wipers), and evolving into the beautiful lines of the Jaguar XJ, in most of its incarnations.

My dad was shopping for a commuter car in the early 60’s, and saw either the Volkswagon Bug or the Nash Metropolitan as his choice. He chose the Metropolitan because he wouldn’t need to buy metric tools to maintain it! That bought him ten more years before buying metric tools, when he got a ’72 Datsun 510 wagon (I owned one of those later, too).

My grandmother paid my dad $500 when he was ready to sell the ’57 Metropolitan, so that I could have it. I still have it, plus a ’54 project car with no engine. I drove the Met for a while, until it wouldn’t pass new smog tests (head gasket problem, guessing from a compression check), when I put it in storage (probably 1980 or so), where it is today, until I get around to restoring or selling it. A few years back, I gave up on getting around to fixing it, so owned an already-restored one for a year or so.

I also thought that small British sports cars, like MG’s and Triumphs were pretty neat, but never owned one. I did own a Mazda Miata for a while, as it seemed like a pretty good modern example of the spirit of those British cars.

I don’t remember when I first started appreciating Jaguars, and falling in love with the beauty of the XJ, but it was always a dream car, and I didn’t tell many people about my dream, because it seemed so extravagant and out of reach. Especially since I had four beautiful daughters, and put them each through ~16 years of private school, plus I always owned bigger houses than I probably should have, plus we took family vacations, etc.

This last summer, after my youngest daughter graduated from grad school, a friend of mine (unaware of the Jaguar dream) suggested that it was time to buy a dream car. I had never even looked at used prices before this point. I studied a bit and decided that a ’97 (X300) would be a good year to own, given that it was perhaps more owner-maintainable (maybe?) than newer ones, and was the last without the V8. It also still looks so much like later XJs, that people (other than Jag experts) wouldn’t know it was so old.

So I checked Craig’s List and couldn’t believe how reasonable a ’97 XJ was to buy. I went to look at several, and ended up with a ’97 Vanden Plas, which I drive daily with a big grin on my face!

It came with some truly gigantic 20” chrome aftermarket wheels that caused the tires to scrape when going over bumps, or making more than a slight turn, like to get into a driveway. I don't know how the previous owner tolerated this. It took a while to (1) learn that very few aftermarket wheels fit the X300, (2) I could buy remanufactured stock wheels on the internet, and (3) that procuring lug nuts was going to be either very difficult or very expensive. The 20” wheels had standard conical-seat lug nuts, unsuitable for stock wheels, and the originals were not with the car. I ended up with ‘Dimple’ style stock wheels (the lowest priced original non-steel style I could find), and a set of used long lug nuts with the stainless-capped outer end (since I didn’t want to spend for new, and hadn’t seen any mention of one-piece modern nuts in the forums, except for people looking for them and not finding them, resorting to having some almost-fitting nuts machined down [probably some of you!], but I don’t think these were for X300).

Anyway, it’s taken me a while (do you see a theme here?) to join the forum, get through at least the first set of new user hoops to get through, and be able to post (at least I think I can post). I have a bunch of questions I’ll start posting when I get time.

Looking forward to your experiences and expertise!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Would love to see a pic when you get the opportunity to post them.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard gbmtkj
definitely one of the best intro's I've seen of late, full of info and passion, so unilke some of the one liners that we so often get!
Only thing thats missing is pics....lol
Please post some up when you can and I hope you enjoy the site.....There are some truly wonderful members here with great knowledge and the techs are awesome!
Upgraded to FFA so you can enjoy the whole site

Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Its crazy how similar our introduction threads are...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=42818

you:

Datsun 510 (Wagon) 1972
Mazda Miata (What Year???)
Jaguar X300 1997

Me:
Datsun 510 (Coupe) 1972
Mazda Rx-7 (1995)
Jaguar XJ-C 1975

We should totally visit sometime, since we live in the same town.

the reason why Jaguar wheels are hard to find is because they run a larger PCD than most of the wheel manufacturers make them for (the aftermarket "standard" is usually 5x 114.3)

Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Welcome to the site. I got my dream car about 2 mo. ago - 95 VDP. Used to travel to Portland on a fairly regular basis when I worked for a Hvy Truck supplier. Amazing...It hardly ever rained when I was out there. Pretty area. You'll enjoy the sedan, make sure you check out the X300 forum. Lots of good info in there....and tips on what you can expect to go wrong....

Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Thanks for the welcome and responses!

sneal46 and JimC64, here are some pics. Attached, as I didn't see a way to inserted into the text. Tell me if I should do this differently, or if I should use higher resolution pics.

One picture shows me and the 1997 Vanden Plas with the really BIG 20" wheels and tires it came with. Maybe the previous owner is a member, and can tell me about these?

The other two are of the car with its new Dimple wheels.

AristCat,

Regarding our intro's being so similar, well, I DID read your intro before I write mine!. But I didn't make anything up!

My Miata was a '97, same as my Jaguar. Hmm...AND I own a '97 1-ton Ford Club Wagon. Must have been something about that year!

Yes, maybe we'll meet sometime. I joined the local club JOCO, which I assume you're also in. Maybe I'll see you in the CatFancier newsletter, or on a drive out. Are drive outs always on Sundays starting the morning? I play piano for a choir at church Sunday mornings, but otherwise might have joined you last Sunday. What's the November Tech Session like?

Thanks again all!

gbmtkj

Attached Thumbnails Another new member from Portland, Oregon!!!-g-w-big-wheels.jpg   Another new member from Portland, Oregon!!!-new-wheels-front-quarter.jpg   Another new member from Portland, Oregon!!!-new-wheels-rear-quarter.jpg  
Old 10-13-2010, 11:02 PM

Kinda felt like a jab...

Anyways, hope your happy with your new car!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:11 PM

I'm not into local car clubs, I tend to be a little more selective who I hang out with.

If I'm not affiliated with one club, it allows me to participate in more track events.

+ my project asperations will probably get holy water splashed in my face.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

welcome gbmtkj. I've got relations somewhere down your way. Clackamus? That's not to far away is it? Was in Portland once in 1965. Rode down with my family in a '64 Impala convertible. Not an SS but very close. If we only knew what the car would be worth today...anyways glad to have you here. Still a few Metropolitans around. They always get a good look.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, nice color , X300s are one of my faves too

I gotta love into threads too

Old 10-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome aboard. Very nice intro, you are sure to enjoy the forum. The '97 x300 is probably one of the most reliable XJ's made, so you should be very happy with your choice.