New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

A Belated Hello!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts
Default A Belated Hello!!

I'm a bit late doing this because I joined the Forum in February of this year, but better late than never, I hope!

I was already a long standing member and contributor to a number of other Forums and an owner of an XK8 for four years and an X Type for seven.

As a retired Royal Naval engineer officer with thirty years service either in warships or in their direct engineering support I'm used to diagnosing technical problems and indeed when I first bought the XK8, one of my objectives was to learn about its electrical and electronic systems so as to be able to cope with any problems as they arose without recourse to dealers or independents.

I already had a comprehensive toolkit but a Jaguar enhanced AutoEnginuity scanner was a big step forward in finding out just what makes a Jaguars behave or not as the case may be!!

I also invested in JTIS and downloaded every relevant bit of technical material I've ever come across!

I read these obsessively and in particular have enjoyed getting to grips with the electrical diagrams and their support documentation.

Joining forums in general was to enable me to learn from others experiences, which of course we all do on a continuous basis, but also to allow me to offer help when I thought I could as my knowledge improved and allowed me to start using my diagnostic experience for the benefit of others.

In addition to advising on diagnosing routine defects, my Jaguar projects have included designing and fitting modules to give autofold wing mirrors on both the X Type (With memory seats) and the XK8, emergency boot/trunk access systems for both cars requiring neither keys nor electrical power, heated rear seats in the X Type and an invisible front parking aid on the XK8.

For a bit of amusement I've installed in the XK8 a recording of a wild Jaguar snarling and roaring that is played by pressing the Valet button - just to remind some passengers where they are!

In the future, I'm contemplating a reversing camera for the XK8 to play through the satnav screen and of course to fit the RealGauge Instrument upgrade that I was fortunate enough to win in the recent draw on the XK8 section of this Forum.

As a newcomer, keen to be an Answerer of Queries rather than an Asker for Assistance, I found the Forum a little daunting!
The size of the membership, particularly in the XK8 section has generated an unusually high number of experts, especially in the electronics side which is where I want develop my own abilities.

The X Type section also has its clear stars and few who bring their problems leave without some sensible advice on how best to proceed !

The overall level of expertise certainly puts the pressure on when giving advice to ensure it at least makes sense!

However, as I've spent more time on the Forum, the overwhelming feature is the friendly, well mannered relationships that exist and the genuine wish of all to enjoy and help others enjoy the pleasure of driving one of the world's great marques of car.

Last edited by JimC64; 09-27-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: CREATE LINE BREAKS
The following users liked this post:
henry k (10-09-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum astromorg,

So it's true what the RAF says about the Navy always turning up late!

Great Intro which matches your usual thorough and well thought contributions on X-Type and XK8 sections.

I think giving you any section links would be entirely superfluous after eight months!

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 09-27-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Interesting intro, worth the nearly 9 month's gestation!
May I suggest a few more line breaks in your otherwise excellent prose?
It's to help people like Graham whose attention span doesn't allow him to cope with long lines.
Now, what was I going to say???
Oh yes, you do know Jaguars don't float don't you?
ps never worry about displaying your ignorance - I do it all the time and this is a most gentlemanly Forum - have a Pink Gin.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome from me also Astromorg,

You made up for tardiness in your intro with quality, I'll be looking out for that revrsing camera thread.

Steve, have you tested that floating theory?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  19.3 KB

Welcome aboard seems a little lame after 8 months of membership.....lol, but its great to have you here.

Thanks for a great intro, only missing a few line breaks and some pics?

Did I mention the pics??

Congrats on winning the Free prize giveaway and look forward to the install

Old 09-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
So it's true what the RAF says about the Navy always turning up late!
Interesting clash of philosophies here!! Of course, the Senior Service approach has always been, get in there, get the job underway (75 posts), then settle back into the social stuff. By then the RAF will have got the drinks in!! Cheers, Graham!