New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

BMW Owner interested in XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BMW Owner interested in XKR

I've been a happy BMW 5-series owner for 12 years, but am interested in the XKR as a departure to something new (and 'cause I have always loved the design).

I want to learn the good/bad about it as I consider a late model XKR.

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say --

Old 08-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I recommend going with a 03+ model. The 4.2l is an excellent motor, maintenance is minimal. All around these cars are very strong and reliable, just like any vehicle poor maintenance will kill it. Do the supercharger oil every 50k and transmission every 40k and it will run forever. The only issue I know about on the 4.0l is the timing chain tensioner issue. This is my summary of these cars, I have worked on many many jaguars over the past couple years and its all very routine. I'm almost positive you will love the xkr. I'm sure other people will tell you the same.
Best of luck.
Alex

Old 08-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Oh I forgot to mention, the cup holder really sucks on the 97-06 body styles. It breaks very easily. You just have to be very gentle and spray a little white lithium grease on the little plastic gear.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Thanks. I'd heard that "early" v8's had a valve guide problem that could take down the engine, but how "early" was never specified.

If this a known issue, are 03+ years after this problem?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum oncapanthera,

Follow this link XK / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK/XKR section for help and advice on the current XK's.

Enjoy the search and the forum.

Graham

Old 08-26-2012, 11:03 AM

I'm not a master jag tech so I dont know anything about that issue. I've never heard of issues like that on the 4 and 4.2l. I believe that the 4.2l started in late 02 but 03 for sure. The 4.2l is built like a rock.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Any convert from BMW is more than welcome here. As pitiful (!) says go for a 2003 + model.
Good things - it is not a BMW
Bad things - it is too beautiful and you'll never stop leering at it.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Any convert from BMW is more than welcome here. As pitiful (!) says go for a 2003 + model.
Good things - it is not a BMW
Bad things - it is too beautiful and you'll never stop leering at it.
Well, I'm not a convert yet. Owned 5 BMW's and loved them all for what they were. Great tight handling, loved the 6 cylinder engine. Interior? Meh. Looks like it was designed by a mechanical engineer who thought he was a designer. But still, one of the truly great cars.

But with my son off to college, I don't need more than two doors. And, damn, the XK series are pretty cars. Always wanted a E-type, but no interest at this point in life with a 1960's technology car. So, XK it is.

I do a lot of my own work (brakes, oil, cooling, things like replacing water pumps, alternators, batteries, fuel filters and anything else that bolts on around the car.). Comfortable with the ZF transmission, common on both BMW's and Jags.

So, there's a lot I can do and will; but I can't do the major stuff inside an engine, nor such things as struts, steering subassemblies and so on. And I don't want my wife stranded by the side of the road. So, I'm here to look and learn.

And thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi & welcome aboard, good to have you here with us

Hope we can help...................

Any useful information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, use the search facility etc, can be found here
Helpful_information

Why not drop in and visit the regional section for your area?
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

There's a really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun here.....

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum oncapanthera,

Good to have you with us.
As far as the tensioner problems it was fully resolved when the 4.2 was introdued in 2003.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Welcome Oncapanthera

I own a '06 convertible XKR and love it. I wasn't looking for a Jag at the time I bought but wanted a convertible. I test drove a M3 BMW convertible which was very nice except for the loud exhaust coming from a powerful inline 6. I then test drove a XKR and I was in love. This car really sneaks up on you with the supercharger. I also like the fact that these cars aren't real common in most areas especially Asheville. I get lots of looks and people unfamiliar with cars (most of the population) are asking me what kind of car it is ---after they say something like "nice maserati". It doesn't have Jaguar plasterd all over the body. I must admit this car will not come off the line like a ton of bricks but just hit the pedal at around 60mph and it will take you up past 100mph in a flash. Enjoy your search there or plenty of these in FL.