New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Considering an XF

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an XF

I am looking at picking up an XF but frankly the list of problems that have been reported by owners on the forum is making me hesitate. I can certainly afford to buy the car, but I’m wondering if I can afford to own it, and if I want to be dealing with a litany of ongoing issues. I’m curious to hear from others if it’s worth the trouble, or if the problems are actually manageable.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Dgsteiner,

I've moved your post from the end of a six year old Intro to a new Intro thread of your own. I see you have also posted the question in X250 forum and members will respond there.

I would simply say that unless you really want a JAGUAR, then look for something else. They do require a higher level of care than most other marques. With a used example, it is critical to find one where the scheduled maintenance and any repairs are fully documented. Rectifying a neglected example always proves expensive.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Dgsteiner (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 06:24 AM
Received 10,481 Likes on 6,921 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Graham is spot on.

A neglected Jag can be a nightmare, but a well cared for, kept on top of the little Gremlins Jag, is Priceless.

Good luck.

Dgsteiner (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 07:31 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Dgsteiner,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 01-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Received 4,281 Likes on 3,701 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 01-05-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

I would simply say that unless you really want a JAGUAR, then look for something else. They do require a higher level of care than most other marques. With a used example, it is critical to find one where the scheduled maintenance and any repairs are fully documented. Rectifying a neglected example always proves expensive.

Graham
Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Welcome to the Forums.

Graham is spot on.

A neglected Jag can be a nightmare, but a well cared for, kept on top of the little Gremlins Jag, is Priceless.

Good luck.
Thanks for your insights. I’ve always loved Jaguars, so it’s either get a Jag or some boring practical car. I am awaiting the results of the inspection but it wasn’t done by a Jag dealership so he unfortunately may not know all the quirks to look for. The listing says the car was dealer maintained with all scheduled service, but there is a 12- and 18-month gap between service appointments. It has 60K miles on it so I’m not sure if it’s getting to the point where it’ll just fall apart. I’ll see about getting additional details from the dealership on what was done, and if any error codes are popping up. I certainly don’t mind paying for regular maintenance and taking it in every year or so, but I’m leery of dealing with expensive issues cropping up regularly. Hopefully this is one of those well cared for Jags.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=GAZ_0

Last edited by Dgsteiner; 01-05-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,218 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Hello,
First off, very seldom do people post in forums such as this one to say how Great their car is running (although there are exceptions).
Most people post here to find help for a problem they're having.

Also, ANY used car you find for sale will have some sort of problem or it wouldn't be for sale. Sometimes the Owner is merely through with the car, but that also usually means he's Through Chasing Problems and decided to push it before throwing more good money after bad. Again, there are exceptions.

If you want a Trouble Free used car, I suggest a used Camry of just about any year. They are Soulless, but will go many Hundreds of Thousands of miles without complaint or owner care.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 01-05-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgsteiner
I’m curious to hear from others if it’s worth the trouble, or if the problems are actually manageable.
Everyone's tolerance level for pain is different and what's important to most of us on this forum is not having to memorize our license plate number to be sure we're not trying to get into someone else's Mercedes or BMW or Lexus at the grocery store. Its rather expected that some things will need repairs as these are complex machines subjected to rather harsh punishment. But what I have decided after two Jaguars is the key to reliability and economy is this very forum. Always somebody is going to rack up the miles much faster than you are, run into any issues sooner than you are and we're all going to have a good discussion on here about what to do to prevent it from happening to the rest of us; or at least how to fix it more economically than paying the exorbitant dealer prices (like replacing just a $6 rubber boot from an ebay vendor in Bulgaria instead of the $800 that Jaguar would charge you for the whole control arm assembly). Read this forum religiously, watch for the early symptoms then implement the recommended preventative maintenance and it will make for a positive ownership experience.

Dgsteiner (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 01:55 PM
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Welcome aboard..

Old 01-05-2020, 02:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

...... The listing says the car was dealer maintained with all scheduled service, but there is a 12- and 18-month gap between service appointments. It has 60K miles on it so I’m not sure if it’s getting to the point where it’ll just fall apart. .....
60K miles wouldn't raise any concerns with me BUT missing scheduled services is a different matter. Service interval on the X250 is every 10K Miles OR 12 Months - whichever comes sooner. The 18-month gap isn't necessarily a "show stopper" but needs to be explained.

Graham

Dgsteiner (01-05-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 01:45 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
60K miles wouldn't raise any concerns with me BUT missing scheduled services is a different matter. Service interval on the X250 is every 10K Miles OR 12 Months - whichever comes sooner. The 18-month gap isn't necessarily a "show stopper" but needs to be explained.

Graham
So just to close the loop on this, I had the car inspected and it apparently needs new rotors and tires (not too surprising), and there was a question mark about the bumper and quarter panel. They may have been repaired. The listing said they had all the maintenance records, and that it had all the scheduled maintenance done, but in actuality the salesman flat out said they don’t have anything beyond what’s on the carfax. So while this is a little disappointing I’m not going to get it. It was a beautiful car though!! I’ll hopefully get my Jag someday.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
They do require a higher level of care than most other marques.
I take it you never had a displeasure of owning an out of warranty BMW or Alpha.

Modern Jaguars are about as reliable as modern VW - not the cheapest, not the most reliable but are not the worst offenders in the class.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

So just to close the loop on this, I had the car inspected and it apparently needs new rotors and tires (not too surprising), and there was a question mark about the bumper and quarter panel. They may have been repaired. The listing said they had all the maintenance records, and that it had all the scheduled maintenance done, but in actuality the salesman flat out said they don’t have anything beyond what’s on the carfax. So while this is a little disappointing I’m not going to get it. It was a beautiful car though!! I’ll hopefully get my Jag someday.
100% right call, you can't trust salespeople - every car they sell is "all sorted out" even when it is not. Buying a rough Jaguar is certainly going to get expensive very quickly. Now that you know you want one - fine yourself a clean example. Also do some research so you know and understand common problems (e.g. water pump, timing chain) and can look for one with these already addressed.

Dgsteiner (01-06-2020)