New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Custom shop owner just got his first Jag!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 01:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Custom shop owner just got his first Jag!

Hi Everyone,
I have a custom shop doing just about everything - except sewing upholstery.
I do:
> Auto body repair and paint.
> Custom paint.
> Custom fiberglass work/fiberglass repair.
> Custom metal fabrication.
> Ground-up restorations.
> Engine rebuilding.
> Engine swaps.
> Suspension rebuilding/ upgrades.
> Specializing in show quality work.
But at 70 years old health problems have slowed me down so I don't do near as much as I'd like.
I also make some fiberglass hood vents & other parts, mostly for the Pontiac Fiero. Have some ideas for the XK8 though...
Guess I should post a link to them so everyone knows what I'm talking about: LINK REMOVED - GGG
Just bought a '99 XK8 at a price I couldn't refuse, but it does need a fair amount of work. I've only driven it once for a test drive, & I absolutely LOVE this car!
I'm in N.E. Georgia, USA, about 60 miles N.E. of Atlanta
Great forum & will need a little help with this car - especially all the electronic gizmos.
Thanks,

Last edited by GGG; 07-02-2023 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Remove COMMERCIAL LINK
Old 07-02-2023, 06:13 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Tha Driver
..... Guess I should post a link to them so everyone knows what I'm talking about: .....
Welcome to the forums Paul,

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started and explains why I've removed the commercial link in your post.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...r-atlantic-66/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 07-02-2023, 07:03 AM
Received 10,581 Likes on 6,989 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 07-02-2023, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,462 Likes on 5,466 Posts

Hello, Paul,
Congratulations on your First Jaguar!
Now you have a Real car! LOL

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 07-02-2023, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 489 Likes on 374 Posts

Betcha never did one like this!

Old 07-02-2023, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums Paul,

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started and explains why I've removed the commercial link in your post.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...r-atlantic-66/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham
Hi Graham,
Yeah, I did read all of that before posting. If you had read the page I linked to, you would realize it's not a commercial venture, but a side hobby to help folks that want these parts; AND I just linked to it so folks here could see what I was talking about.
I have read through a LOT of the posts in the first 100+ pages of the XK8 forums. I've already learned a lot.
But at this point it really doesn't matter (&I'm really P*ss*d), because last night the car got hit by lightning & now it won't move. My luck never changes...

Last edited by Tha Driver; 07-02-2023 at 02:34 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 07-02-2023, 05:01 PM
Received 4,049 Likes on 2,907 Posts

Welcome aboard Paul.

Old 07-02-2023, 05:47 PM
Received 6,353 Likes on 5,531 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Paul,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 07-02-2023, 07:00 PM
Received 4,330 Likes on 3,740 Posts

welcome to the forum - bummer on the lightening strike and hopeful it can be a quick recovery

Old 07-03-2023, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by sklimii
welcome to the forum - bummer on the lightening strike and hopeful it can be a quick recovery
I don't know... It blew apart the transmission lines or radiator or something - trans fluid is everywhere & there is a burnt spot on the ground about 18" in diameter under the radiator area. The lightning hit the corner of the building & the rear 1/4 panel was about 6 feet from it, so the lightning had to travel through the car. It still starts & runs seemingly well, though, but I wonder what electronics might have been fried.
Thing is, I haven't even been able to drive the car except for a 7 mile test drive before this. I've spent close to a grand on parts already to get it driveable that I haven't even been able to put on the car yet. Not to mention cost of insurance & tag. Nothing about it is going to be "a quick recovery". I'm just so depressed.
If I decide to continue, it's going to need the convertible top lines as well, & probably timing chains as I don't believe they've been replaced in at least 77,000 miles (although they don't seem to making any noise), seat covers, & a lot of little things - and some paint of course. I fully expected to spend quite a bit of money to fully "restore" the car, but I wasn't expecting to spend six months or more just to be able to drive it for the first time. Before the lightning it was just a matter of power steering leak, radiator hose, belt & idler pulleys, trans service, & shocks to put it on the road - at least enough to actually drive it & see what else it might need. I REALLY don't want to part it out, though. It's too nice of a car - completely rust free. And it's SUCH a PRETTY car!
Sorry for the long post/venting...

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (07-03-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 08:00 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tha Driver
Hi Everyone,
I have a custom shop doing just about everything - except sewing upholstery.
I do:
> Auto body repair and paint.
> Custom paint.
> Custom fiberglass work/fiberglass repair.
> Custom metal fabrication.
> Ground-up restorations.
> Engine rebuilding.
> Engine swaps.
> Suspension rebuilding/ upgrades.
> Specializing in show quality work.
But at 70 years old health problems have slowed me down so I don't do near as much as I'd like.
I also make some fiberglass hood vents & other parts, mostly for the Pontiac Fiero. 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 Have some ideas for the XK8 though...
Guess I should post a link to them so everyone knows what I'm talking about: LINK REMOVED - GGG
Just bought a '99 XK8 at a price I couldn't refuse, but it does need a fair amount of work. I've only driven it once for a test drive, & I absolutely LOVE this car!
I'm in N.E. Georgia, USA, about 60 miles N.E. of Atlanta
Great forum & will need a little help with this car - especially all the electronic gizmos.
Thanks,
Welcome to the forum

Old 07-08-2023, 04:12 AM

OK I'm over my depression after the lightning strike (for the most part), & back to my usual optimistic self (for the most part).
With this introduction, I'll add a little more about me. About 20 years ago thieves stole just about everything I'd worked for in the previous 15 years - absolutely cleaned me out. I had to sell my home, & with the equity I bought land & had to make a choice of building a small house or a small shop. Since I can't store my tools or work on my cars in a house, guess which one I chose?
So now I live in a 16'x 16' room in my shop. I don't have a well, so I collect rain water to flush the commode & take showers. But hey I have a solid roof over my head & electricity, so I'm not doing bad at all... not to mention all I have to do is walk downstairs to go to work, & I can work anytime I feel like it at a moment's notice.
BTW THANKS for all the welcomes. I've already learned SO much from this site it's unreal.

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (07-08-2023)