New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

"TBD" XJ-S Resto

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "TBD" XJ-S Resto

Hi All,

So, I came by this XJ-S after walking my dog past it the last couple of months and noticing it hadn't been moved, after researching around the web on what this car actually was (this forum in particular), I decided to approach the owner with a few questions and see if they were willing to part with it. After a bit of back and forward, I picked up this cobalt blue 1985 XJ-S with 200,000 KM on the dash, for $5k (AUD). I thought it was a pretty reasonable price, after seeing non-running pre-HE XJS's going for around $7K (AUD), and facelift models anywhere between $15k-$40k (AUD).

(note those stains on the driveway aren't from her, we only just got her in - though in hindsight I wish she was the other way around...)

When I got it she was running, albeit with a slightly gurgling coolant tank. The interior is fairly worn and will need some upholstering (though I intended to change the interior in any case so the condition wasn't too much of a concern) and the paint is fairly worn with the clear coat coming off with a few rust patches from the paint chipped. As far as I can tell from the receipts in the glove box its been serviced fairly regularly with an alignment done not too long ago. The biggest thing seems to be some rewiring that was done 6months ago, and a LUCAS replacement from a short, at least thats what the owner told me. Seeing as it most likely wouldn't pass a roadworthy (brake lights, wipers and the drivers seat) it was sold unregistered, and that's where my resto begins! To get it roadworthy, and take it from there.

...Now might also be a good time to mention that I have no experience dealing with cars. My only solace is the few mechanics in the family, and my grand fathers garage that was kitted out (at least by 80's standards). I've started reading the Kirby book, which has been great for the specifics of the XJS, but I have to admit I need some primer material, so if anyone has some suggestions on some good basic mechanics books I'm all ears! I'm going to try stick to the 'to do' list in the stickied post as time allows.

For now, my priority list in getting her reliable enough for a roadworthy (and registration):
- Radiator flush
- Replace that yellow fan
- Fix/replace drivers seat (not sure if the leather is salvageable? See below)
- Replace the hood liner (any suggestions on the best material would be much appreciated)
- Headlights/tail lights
- Brake callipers (these should be okay, however they're on the roadworthy test so freshening them up would be good)

And that's it really. I've got 3-6months of only being able to work on her on the odd weekend, however after that I'll have a good 3months time off to concentrate entirely on her. My last questions are, since I can't drive her around until registration, should I start her up intermittently to get the oil pressure up, or is it better to let her sit until I can get her registered and road going? And, since I won't be able to get a paint job until then, should I sand back and wax (?) all the surface rust I find while she's effectively in 'storage'?

Your thoughts and questions (even if it's telling me I'm mad) are much appreciated!

Cheers,
Piranhas

Old 08-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Received 10,517 Likes on 6,947 Posts

Welcome.

Well done.

DO NOT start a V12 and run it short time. They MUST be run uo to temp, or SHOULD be run up to temp., before shutting down.

They can sit for years without fuss.

Lots of info in the XJS stickie section, and heaps more from the XJS group.

They are NOT rocket science, very simple, but daunting.

Age is the gremlin here, and mainly wiring, and any rubber component in the engine bay.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,341 Likes on 5,430 Posts

Congratulations on your new XJS!
It's good you've got it running. However, the general wisdom now is, it's harder on an engine to just start it up once in a while than to just let it sit until you can take it out for a run to get it properly warned and all the fluids circulated and the accumulated condensed moisture boiled off.

That "slightly gurgling coolant tank" bothers me.
Members in our XJS section will help you with all that stuff.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 08-11-2018, 01:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Piranhas,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I've seen a LOT worse than that brought back to spectacular condition. Follow the advice from Grant and Elinor about NOT running the engine. The seat looks like it can be salvaged with a new foam base and a leather restoration kit.

Follow this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/ to the XJS forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the Australia - Victoria/Tasmania Region forum by following this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...a-tasmania-94/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 08-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Welcome aboard from north of the border.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all your replies!

I figured letting it sit was the best option after reading around here, but the confirmation is nice to have.
The gurgling coolant tank is still a bit of a mystery, however I suspect it's from the radiator being blocked (since I doubt it, or anything related to it has ever been flushed). Though, the alternative is possibly a gasket, but I'll rule out the smaller things before crossing that potential bridge.

Should I repost this thread on the XJ-S forum or can it be moved?

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2018, 12:26 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Originally Posted by Piranhas
Should I repost this thread on the XJ-S forum or can it be moved?
Thanks!
Post any questions you have in the XJS forum, that way will get answers quickly from the experts in that forum. Not many members look at the new member area.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-12-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:02 AM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Piranhas,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 08-12-2018, 06:42 AM
Received 4,303 Likes on 3,720 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!